Sugar - Need ideas on snacks

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am struggling to stay within my sugar goals. My daily goal is 41g of sugar, but I've gone up to 90g once !!

I'm on the lookup for snacks that are low in sugar, I normally take Fruit, yogurt, Frosties snack bars, but by lunchtime, I'm already way over my allowance. I tried apple yesterday, but even that has quite a bit of sugar.

Next week, I want to try cheeries, but I would like to know what else I can take that is low in sugar. Any ideas?

Replies

• sabracadabra666
    Options
    I get a graze box, the light version which gives you sweet things but they are nutritious and low fat, may only be available in the UK though, Grazebox .com I think if you wanted to check it out.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Graze boxes are great! you mention yogurt - the sugar in yogurt is mainly lactose - i.e. milk sugar. Dont beat yourself up on that - what you should avoid is REFINED sugars i.e. glucose and sucrose. I use honey which has a GI of 19 and Agave Nectar which is the same - my diabetic husband also uses that.
    Anything snacky with almonds is good and wean yourself off the high sugars gently by sucking a lemon slice before you eat anything sweet. Your taste buds will cry for mercy it will taste SO sweet.
    A cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon each morning will also help retrain your taste.
    Hope this helps.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought you were wanting people's favorite sugary snacks. My only advice about going over on sugars is the stop tracking sugar at all, and just track your carbs. It ended my stress over it when I did that. I learned that sugar is a subset of carbohydrates, just like fiber and starch. It's good to get a mix of different types of carbs. And MFP's sugar guideline is unrealistic if you are in an energy deficit anyway.

ETA: My favorite sugary snacks are chocolate and fruit, or chocolate-covered fruit, or chocolate-covered nuts. (Just FTR) :bigsmile:
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar if it comes from the right places. Fruit has natural sugar, yes that can up your numbers on this site, but it also has fiber. So you take the "bad" with the "good". Sugar isn't an enemy when you get it from a natural souce. What you should steer clear of is sugar substitutes. They can cause digestive issues and more...I know it is easy to eat prepared snacks, but go for the whole foods. I throw an apple and an orange in my purse every day to avoid the processed snacks in the snack machine and I think it is better for me, so why not? Ultimately you need to weigh what numbers are more important to you on MFP...I try to keep my calories in check, my iron high (since I struggle with anemia), and my fat low....despite the other numbers. How does everything balance out for you?
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My OH takes Sugar Free Jelly to work with her, I make them in plastic tubs at home, get 8 out of a packet which costs about 40p, they come in at less than 10 calories a pot. I make my own Blackcurrant fruit leather and drop a small piece in the bottom, but you could experiment with Blueberries or even a few bits of dried fruit, or fresh berries??
  • thodoris77
    Options
    Thanks guys, Jelly is a great idea, I love Jelly. I am in the UK, and signed up for graze yesterday, so I'm definitely on the right track :smile:

But thanks for the ideas and the advice, much appreciated !!