I don't get it... and it's only getting worse.

Options
Hi all,

I joined MFP back in October but didn't really start to take it that seriously until about December. I successfuly lost 3 lbs in about a month and was on my journey to be down to about 130 lbs.

Anyway, I will cut this short. I weighed myself on February 5th and was 142lbs... no change from the previous month. I weighed myself again yesterday, March 6th and pre workout I was 133lbs and post I was 135lbs. Most people would say "Wow! That's a great accomplishment!" However, I'm 5'7 and losing that much weight in that little time concerns me. That's 7-9lbs in a month? Is that healthy? I should also mention I gave up sweets/sugar for lent.

Another thing I'm worried about, my dog passed away March 5th and I'm struggling to eat... it's been utter hell since then. I buy food, and stare at it with little to no apetite. Can anyone think of some type of food or drink even that I can take just to get my calories?

Thanks

Replies

• kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try protein shakes or smothies with whole milk and real fruit, might make it easier to eat if it is liquid.
    I know how you feel about not eating, i have been struggling with this off and on for a while now, but I try to eat little and often rather than face big meals.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the Feb 5th weight was wrong and you showed your weightloss on the march 6th weights.

Any chance the the Feb 5th weight was off? Like you could have been retaining water or something?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the Feb 5th weight was wrong and you showed your weightloss on the march 6th weights.

Any chance the the Feb 5th weight was off? Like you could have been retaining water or something?

No, I checked it twice that week. It was 142lbs set in stone. I checked quickly the week after and it was the same. So, this is just drastic for me I'm very surprised. I haven't been this small since I was in my early 20's.

I do protein shakes, I have been forcing them down in the morning. Yesterday I had one after my workout. The only reason I even had lunch yesterday is because my co-workers insisted I go out for lunch to get me out of the office and to eat something. I can't do whole milk - I have a sensitivity to lactose and I find milk repulsive. Some things, like cheese, I can stomach. I drink almond milk, the unsweetened kind. I have a bagel and cream cheese staring at me right now and my stomach is in knots.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calorie goal isn't right? Check out my Facebook page for what I mean 'cause I'd love to type more but I'm late for work. Facebook.com/motivatormandy
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    7-9 pounds in a month is a little high (about 2 pounds a week), but if you are not eating, and had picked up exercise at all, you might be under eating. I understand you are having trouble with the loss of your furbaby (my sympathies!). You will get back into a routine. I would keep an eye on things and see how it shapes up over the next few weeks. Keep an eye out that it doesn't continue to drop that quickly going forward. Just my 2c

Hi all,

I joined MFP back in October but didn't really start to take it that seriously until about December. I successfuly lost 3 lbs in about a month and was on my journey to be down to about 130 lbs.

Anyway, I will cut this short. I weighed myself on February 5th and was 142lbs... no change from the previous month. I weighed myself again yesterday, March 6th and pre workout I was 133lbs and post I was 135lbs. Most people would say "Wow! That's a great accomplishment!" However, I'm 5'7 and losing that much weight in that little time concerns me. That's 7-9lbs in a month? Is that healthy? I should also mention I gave up sweets/sugar for lent.

Another thing I'm worried about, my dog passed away March 5th and I'm struggling to eat... it's been utter hell since then. I buy food, and stare at it with little to no apetite. Can anyone think of some type of food or drink even that I can take just to get my calories?

Thanks
  • PandaPudges
    Options
    Sorry about your dog, hon :(. That really sucks. In the last two weeks I have lost 10 lbs and it's been entirely water weight and sodium purge. I have slowed right down with my weight loss now that I am not retaining water anymore due to the washing out I did with drinking loads of water. If you're drinking more water than usual, that'd probably do it... Granted, stopping sugar for lent would also do it.

Also, it would depend on what time of day you weighed yourself, your bladder status and how much clothing you were wearing. If you feel like you have a legit problem, though, I'd ask a doctor. If there's no reason for that much sudden weight loss it's not worth just wondering about if, especially if something is wrong.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds are good for calories. They also have protein and the good kind of fats. The best way to eat them is raw non-salted.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    you stated you gave up sweets/sugar for lent. That alone would help drop weight, but couple it with the lack of appetite and there is your answer. I would definitely go for protein shakes to get some calories in. Muscle Milk or Lean Body for on the go. Protein powder and whole milk for at home.

I've been there before about buying food and staring at it. Best of luck that you get your appetite back and soon! Mine sent me down a path that took years to recover from. Hopefully yours is a temporary setback and you will bounce back soon.

Also, I am sorry to read about your dog. Hugs!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Do you know your TDEE?
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

It's probably natural that you have a reduced appetite while you're mourning your companion. I wouldn't worry about losing 7-9 lbs because that is a normal amount to lose in a month and maybe it was spread over the two months and masked by water fluctuations on the day you weighed. If you lose a bunch more weight and are NOT trying to, then you might think about supplements of some kind. But I would suggest that you work through your grief when you feel ready, maybe by volunteering at an animal shelter, or any kind of volunteering because helping really does lift your spirits. Another suggestion would be to find a pal or family member who's supportive to eat a meal a day with. Company, especially sympathetic company, will probably help you to feel better. And grieving takes time-- give yourself that.

:)
  • neverend
    neverend Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dog. I had a few months when I couldn't eat after a break up. The only way I managed to eat something was when I was distracted and doing something else. If I sat down specifically to eat I couldn't do it. I think I ended up having banana, honey and wheatgerm smoothies a lot. You could make them with soymilk or almond milk rather than cows milk?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry about your loss.

Just deal with the grieving right now and worry about the scale later. Your loss is probably associated with stress and emotions. Give yourself time and it'll work itself out.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Do you know your TDEE?

My calorie goal on here is 1,520 and my TDEE is about 1,810 to 2,000 depending on my level of activity.

I've been consuming about 1,000 a day for the past 3 days.

Thank you for all of your kind words, I think finding a "food buddy" might help. My boyfriend was trying his damndest to get me to have something to eat last night but I couldn't stop crying and just went to bed. Poor man, he's trying his best.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is healthy to lose up to 2 lbs a week, which would equal 8 lbs a month. So the weight that you lost isn't unusual or unhealthy.

As I have been struggling with eating, for a different reason. I try to focus on foods that I like, whether they are considered "healthy" or not. The important thing is to get the calories in. Once you are feeling better, get back on track with your macros and how you were eating before but it might help.

Protein shakes and smoothies as someone else mentioned are good choices if that would be easier than eating. Me personally, a bowl of pasta I usually cannot turn down.

Also, we are around the same height and weight, so feel free to add me if you would like.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fur kid. When we lost ours a few years ago, we were devastated and grieved for a long time, and food took a back seat (like in the trunk) for several weeks.

Like Faintgreen said, 2 lbs/week is healthy, but if you are concerned, check in with your doc after you feel a little better. :flowerforyou:
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your dog.

Havent seen many people comment about your Diary and that its closed. Usually people who are wanting to help you will want to look at that and see where you have been at for the past few months before giving any other advice.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    Sorry about your dog.

Havent seen many people comment about your Diary and that its closed. Usually people who are wanting to help you will want to look at that and see where you have been at for the past few months before giving any other advice.

Thank you. I just opened up my diary - I had it for friends only.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Eating under your calories for a few days isn't a big deal, but after awhile your body may start eating away at muscle if not fed properly.. Take some time off and then get back at it.
  • footiechick82
    Options
    I should also mention I log my food before I eat it... hopefully me logging everything already WILL make me consume it!

Thank you so much for all your advice and support... I'm going to start eating almonds - a lot of them - again if need be.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks

You are 5'7 at 135lbs now, right. That sounds pretty good. You must be close to your goal. I would say that 7-9 pounds in a month is awesome. I have mine set to lose 1.5 pounds/week which is 6-7 pounds a month. I wouldn't worry too much about it being to much of a loss. As for everyone, some months are better then other.

If you want to add calories, add nut butters, nuts, more meat, protein shakes, eggs, cheese, full-fat dairy, and that kind of stuff.