how to do weight training without going to the gym?

Options
grdaze
grdaze Posts: 195 Member
I don't have a gym membership and I'm not going to get one (had a bad experience with Bally's and refuse to join another gym, ever.)

I walk and do zumba and love both but see "lift heavy" advice here a lot. Is there a home workout you'd recommend? I don't own equipment or dumbbells or kettlebells (although I could pick some up) but I was curious if anyone had any advice about it.

Replies

• Maximumresults
    Options
    Google home weight workouts..get a decent set of dumbells and goo!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I totally recommend Jillian Michaels. They're free on You tube, and only require light handweights. I have literally seen more and better results after 17 days of 30 day shred, than I saw after years of 3 times a week at the gym.
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I totally recommend Jillian Michaels. They're free on You tube, and only require light handweights. I have literally seen more and better results after 17 days of 30 day shred, than I saw after years of 3 times a week at the gym.

This!
  • grdaze
    Options
    thank you!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have a rack, bar and bench with plates up to 120. I also have plate loadable dumbbells, but not enough plates to use both at once yet. ;) If that set-up isn't an option for you, I'd suggest adjustable dumbbels or resitance bands. Stuff like JM is great, but it's more cardio than strength training. Google Stronglifts, Starting Strength or Madcow. Check out new Rules of LIfting for Women. nerdfitness has some good ideas for bodyweight workouts, too. Bodybuilding.com and muscleandstrength.com are also really good resources.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I kept looking on craigslist and got a sweet set of weights and racks. I have done home workouts from nerdfitness, scoobysworkshop, and now I'm doing my own combo of P90X lifting routines. With simple stuff you can do alot.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I got a Gymboss interval timer and LOOOOOVE IT (20$ish on Amazon). I basically do an hour of alternating bodyweight exercises and some with a 15lb kettlebell that I picked up on sale. The interval timer allows me to go hard on whatever exercise I'm doing, not for a certain number of reps, but for 30 seconds @ 100%, and then I take a 10 second break or use 10 seconds to switch to the next exercise and it vibrates or beeps so I don't have to watch a clock. I don't do any cardio stuff like jumping jacks or jogging in place, but I am certainly sweating and huffing and puffing at the end more than when I jog for an hour. I think I am going to get a 25lb kettlebell in the next few weeks.

Anyway, best home workout for me. I like videos to get ideas or to check form, but I almost never enjoy other people's workouts haha.
  • grdaze
    Options
    I got a Gymboss interval timer and LOOOOOVE IT (20$ish on Amazon). I basically do an hour of alternating bodyweight exercises and some with a 15lb kettlebell that I picked up on sale. The interval timer allows me to go hard on whatever exercise I'm doing, not for a certain number of reps, but for 30 seconds @ 100%, and then I take a 10 second break or use 10 seconds to switch to the next exercise and it vibrates or beeps so I don't have to watch a clock. I don't do any cardio stuff like jumping jacks or jogging in place, but I am certainly sweating and huffing and puffing at the end more than when I jog for an hour. I think I am going to get a 25lb kettlebell in the next few weeks.

Anyway, best home workout for me. I like videos to get ideas or to check form, but I almost never enjoy other people's workouts haha.

this was really helpful; thank you!
  • BHetrick
    BHetrick Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also, if you don't want to invest in any plates / machines just yet; you could always pick up some resistance bands.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

this was really helpful; thank you!

There are also free apps that will time your intervals.

Bally's sucks. Please don't let that discourage you from joining another gym! I belong to a locally owned one now where the owner replies to emails with suggestions/complaints. It's a much better environment. Just think about it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    look for plates/dumbbells on craigslist, or in a pinch, fill old milk jugs/laundry detergent bottles with sand and lift those. Go to your nearest woods/mountains/desert/river and find some larger rocks, and haul those around. If you have a Ross/TJ Maxx/Other discount store nearby, sometimes they sell kettlebells for super cheap. They won't be very heavy (10-12lbs), but they are good starter weights.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, plus you can check places like Goodwill for dumbbells. They may not be pretty, and they may not be in nice sets. However, for many exercises, one dumbbell would tide you over until you find more. Freecycle also comes to mind; lots of folks have exercise equipment taking up space in their garage that they are happy to get rid of.

And please don't forget push ups. They are boring, but they are definitely a "Good Thing" (as Martha would say).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Also watch the sales, Sears sometimes has closeouts on equipment, and Ebay will often times plates, bars and fixed weight barbells. We bought ours from Sears years ago, and then invested in a 2nd set of plates. I really love working in the gym, mainly because it's all right there and I get more motivated seeing others lifting. But there are days when I just can't make it and the home equipment is a life saver.

FYI, I'm working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great way to start lifting heavy! There's a group here on MFP dedicated to this program. Great experience, great comraderie.

ETA I have an android phone and tablet and found several timers in the Play store - free too!