Increasing calories close to goal weight

Options
Jen800
Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
So, I'm nearly at my goal weight. about two weeks ago I ate 1600 up from my normal 1400, and I think I lost a bit. I went back down from there to 1400 this week, and have lost slightly (but the scale always fluctuates, so..)

I initially upped my calories because I wasn't losing and I was SUPER hungry.

I've heard you should eat more within the last 10-15 pounds or so. What do you think? should I? I just want opinions and experience :)

Replies

• Jen800
    Options
    bump
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I'd try increasing your calorie burn rather than decreasing eying calories.
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure but when I got onto MFP it has me at around 1500 a day but when I lost 10 lbs it recalculated my calories down to 1200 so the sites re=calculated down once I only have 10 or less lbs to loss. It is working for I lost 2 lbs last week after starting the 1200 and sticking to it some day a bit over and some days a tad under but nothing more then 100 or 200 hundred.
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Focus on proper nutrition to fuel killer workouts. =) This may mean adding calories due to more vigorous workouts. Lift weights to tone and you may find you are happy with your current weight.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMR? After 38lbs increasing your burn and eating under your BMR (seems to be pretty common in the early days) doesn't ahve the same benefits later on. Most folks find benefit in upping there calories as they get into the last 10-15 lbs, this also lets your body creep up on finding what maintenance is going to be for your particular case. So yes, I would start paying more attention to sufficient fuel but balance it with your activity. After 58 lbs my daily calories vary a lot based on whether it's a workout day or not.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am a good bit away from my goal weight, but I upped my calories. My weight loss stalled a bit so I researched some, and thought maybe I was not eating enough. I upped my calories to 20% less than my TDEE, and upped my exercise a bit. I gained that first week after changing but it has been almost a month now, and every week after that first week I have dropped at least 2 lbs!

Good Luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to "lose .5 lbs per week." Eat that amount. Log accurately (weigh everything, make your own recipes). Be patient.

That's how I lost my last 10. I never had the dreaded stall that many people report.
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 lbs left to lose (maybe less, but I'm still trying to figure that out), and I upped my calories to be losing at 0.5lbs/week instead of 1lb/week. I found that at the larger calorie deficit, I was getting hungry all the time and my weight loss had in fact slowed down considerably. So I upped my calories because I was losing at about a 0.5lbs/week rate anyway.

I think when you're closer to goal, it does certainly help to eat more and exercise a bit more as well.
  • cedebrooks
    cedebrooks Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend using something like the Scooby Calorie Counter. You could probably eat more than you think, as long as its nutritionally rich, and you're not eating higher calories in junk food :) If your body is fueled with the proper foods, it'll lose the extra weight!
  • Jen800
    Options
    Thanks guys!

1. Yes, I know my BMR. It's about 1250.
    2. Working on increasing from 30 mins a day to 60 mins a day exercise (can't lift yet, so I use bodyweight/circuit training)
    3. ALWAYS weigh and log accurately! Never missed a day!
    4. 99% of what goes into my body is superclean! I very very rarely eat out, either.

Thanks again guys :)
  • Jen800
    Options
    anyone else?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!