Successful MFP Atkin-doers?!

Options
I just started following Atkins, yesterday. Once I realized how not user-friendly the app/website is, I decided to track my carb intake on MFP. I think I am going to have to take off the calorie and fat intake from my view, because I think it is going to get to me. So far yesterday and today I have done great with carb intake and calorie intake seems to be falling into place, as well.

Anyone on here count carbs, instead of calories? Counting calories seems to be the main focus on MFP and I am just curiuos if anyone has been successful on MFP, with Atkins.

Any responses are greatly appreciated! TIA! :)

Replies

• juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • babyrover
    babyrover Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too started Atkins on Monday, I have been stalled out and not losing any weight so I thought I would shake things up. I did Atkins back in the day and was successful at losing 50 lbs on it and was faithful to the lifestyle change for 2.5 years. That is what is is a lifestyle change not a diet. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    There are quite a few of us here who follow a low carb WOL. I started with Atkins, but found his program (this was in 2007) too restrictive. Using George Stella's recipes, I lost 60 pounds in 2007, fell off the wagon last year, and have lost 17 of the 30 I gained back since restarting low carb on December 26th, 2012. There are also Low carb groups here.

Unfortunately, What you will also find here is people who will criticize low carb ways of life. Low carb works for me much better than any lw fat diet ever did, and since everybody's metabolism is different, find out what works for you, and ignore any criticism.
  • finallyforme32
    Options
    I am starting today...almost gave up so far but I am getting through...any tips to make it through the first few days?
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for a few weeks,but it's hard to go without carbs 25/or 30 grams of carbs,my energy was gone that made it hard to extercise I aslo like oatmeal and fruit at breakfast,I didn"t have time to make bacon or eggs before work,so I started weight watchers it seems user friendly ,atkins is effective but restricting:smile:
  • sarahnicole218
    Options
    I am not doing Atkin's, however, I am following a 40-30-30 plan...so low carb. I find MFP very helpful for tracking my overall carb, protein, and fat intake. Just adjust your macros to your individual goals and track away! :) Good luck!
  • airie23
    airie23 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,
    I too have just started Atkins Induction. I have successfully lost 25lbs by eating clean...but as I have started to follow Atkins to help control my sugar intake. I followed Atkins about 10 years ago and quickly lost 30lbs.I am hoping this jumpkicks my weightloss so I can hit my first mini goal soon!!
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb for a few weeks now and I'm still learning and getting adjusted. If you experience the "carb flu" just take it easy, lighten up on the exercise and it will pass.
    I picked up the new Atkins cookbook the other day and there are lots of great recipes.
    Just don't let anyone give you sh*the for being low carb. Do what you feel is right for you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I used MFP when I first started Atkins about 2 years ago. (Don't let my ticker fool you, I'm really in maintenance but had surgery last week and I'm fighting nearly 20 pounds of water weight gain as a result!) I slightly paid attention to calories because, really, you can't eat 3000 calories per day, even on a low carb diet, and expect to lose weight. At least I can't. I used it as a sanity check.

I think the hardest part about using MFP is the net carb concept. I subtracted fiber from my total carb count and used food diary entries from which sugar alcohols had already been subtracted, if needed. That meant I was creating my own entries for those kinds of things when I needed them. It seems a lot of people have created "net carb" food entries in which they subtract the fiber from the total carbs but then leaves the fiber there. Confusing! Whichever method you choose to use, be consistent.

There are a couple of low carb groups in the community if you go look for them. They share recipes and offer support and advice.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am starting today...almost gave up so far but I am getting through...any tips to make it through the first few days?

For the first week when you're feeling like crap (because your body is switching fuel sources,) and you feel like you need that "something" make yourself tons of deviled eggs (they work for a lot of people, just don't put onion or anything crazy in them as well as making sure that the mayo you use doesn't have sugar of any kind. Duke's makes a good mayo) - don't worry about calories until you stop feeling poorly.

Eventually (after 1-2 weeks) you will feel great.

PS: If you want to track your net carbs on MFP I came across this browser script/addon that someone else linked in the LC/Keto forum group (I forget which one,) and I can't tell you how awesome it is! I use it with much success :D

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/124645
  • gpinzone
    gpinzone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The "atkins flu" thing is real, but entirely avoidable. The reason is usually due to the sodium and potassium loss.

Read this for great tips: https://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Atkins, and keeping my carbs at around 20 (net) for over 2 years. It is a complete lifestyle change, and I've learned the hard way, for myself at least, that I simply can not cheat. I cheated for my birthday a few weekends ago, and I just got back to my weight this morning. Having birthday cake, and carb-laden foods with lots of sugars for 3 days, is just not worth it. LOL!

Anyway, there are several Low Carb groups on here that will give a lot of support, advice, and recipes! Good luck!