how many times a day do ya'll work out?

Options
Lately I have been working out once a day for a good 2 hours, rotating between cardio and weights/strength.

but i have noticed that I start to get tired at the end of my workout, would I get the same benefits (or maybe even do better) if I worked out twice a day for a shorter amount of time?
thanks!

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I always feel better when I split a long work out up into two shorter times, but I'm not sure about the documented benefits.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever I'm breaking my workouts down because my home life and job don' t let me get more than 40 minutes in at a time. I do some in the morning, some at lunch time and if I need to because of any indiscretions I've had during the day I will do another 20 minutes or so after work.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I workout upwards to 3 times a day an hour of cardio in the morning 90 mins of weight training in the afternoon and 30-45 min light cardio (something active ) at night I dont do it everyday but since I am now able to I do it often.. It use to be a struggle to work out 30mins 3 times a week let alone a day. Just listen to your body and adjust.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    are you taking any days off? When I started I was working out 6 days a weak and I was getting burned out.. I started taking off 2 days a week and it's gotten a lot better. Maybe you could try another routine. I started with workout dvd's and now I am running! I run a different route when I start getting bored with my usual one.. Also, I work out like this.. cardio for 45-60 mins-->strength train(abs & arms)-->stretch It has been working for me. Maybe you should try a workout dvd.. I really liked the Biggest Loser Cario Max.. It kicked my butt into gear for running. Good luck! love and lihgt xo
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you! I get a lot of "wooow!"s when I tell people I do cardio twice a day but it's not for the reason most people think it is. I'm not trying to over work out or work out necessarily to lose weight faster. I've been doing cardio twice a day for a couple times per week (starting last week - so I haven't been doing it for long) to increase my cardio from 15-20 minutes a day to more like 45-60 so I can burn more fat. I feel like my body fat % is still too high for how much weight I've lost and kind of feel "behind". I also don't have more time to just increase my cardio work outs at night because I don't get off work 'til 6:30 and that would push my dinner back even further. So, I've started running intervals in the morning, then just taking a walk or doing elliptical at night, or on strength days, usually just a walk after my strength routine.

Whatever works for you, I say do it.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    maximum of once a day =]

although, sometimes I will have a day surfing at the beach and already have done my workout, but that's pretty rare.
  • poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I usually go two or three times a day and find I have much more energy so I get a better workout. They say (whoever "they" are) that is is more beneficial for your heart to give it shorter intense bursts but I don't personally know where that info came from. I would think regardless you would work out harder if you had more energy so it would probably be more beneficial if for no other reason than that!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I work out once to twice a day. My husband works full time & attends school full time in the evenings, so we hit the gym during our lunch break just so he can get a workout in. Then I typically go after work for about 1 1/2 hours for weight lifting & classes the gym offers such as spinning or step aerobics. :bigsmile:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've heard that much like breaking 3 big meals down into 5 or 6 small meals, that breaking down one big workout into 2 smaller ones is better for your system, and keeps the elevated burning going longer. I don't know how proven that is, but I say if it works better for you to break it up, so that you're not sacrificing form or endurance, then that's the way to go :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    technically, as long as you stay aerobic, it doesn't matter how many times a day you work out, as long as you give your body enough time to recover. But that said, it's not any better to workout all at once or split it up into multiple sessions. If you're getting tired at the end one of a few things could be happening: 1) you don't have enough energy to finish, have a drink with you that provides some carbohydrate calories during the activity. 2) You are depleting your electrolytes, have a drink or a banana, something with electrolytes in it (watch out, many of these drinks have lots of hidden calories) 3) you are overtraining, you aren't giving your body enough time to recover every week, you should have at least 1 day of light or no exercise to give your body a chance for full recovery, even elite athletes do this.

these are the obvious reasons, there could be something else, but off the top of my head I can't think of what they would be.
  • leorey20
    leorey20 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have Zumba four times a week. I also have a tonning pool class about twice a week. I actually implement a yoga, or pilates just for kicks and giggles once a week. However just implemented the weight trainning class in my schedule. My goal is two or three classes a day. However, I worked myself in to loving the classes.....
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I usually have my morning workout for 30 mins which is either a 30 Day Shred, run or now Tae Bo. At lunch time I either walk home from work 3 miles or pop in to the gym for 45 mins. Then if I feel like it in the evening I'll do another Shred or DVD for 30-45 mins.

It all depends what I feel like though, if I'm tired I'll just workout once or twice....just let my body decide :) Usually have Sunday as my "light day" - not really rest as I'm always active with the kids :) But just a little less active than a full on workout!
    -x-x-
  • eleanorrachel
    Options
    i do my workout split into two one hour sessions, it stops me from getting too tired or bored and means i can fit them around my day as it changes (e.g. do them quite close together or one in the morning one in the evening etc)

hope that helps :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been working out once a day for a good 2 hours, rotating between cardio and weights/strength.

but i have noticed that I start to get tired at the end of my workout, would I get the same benefits (or maybe even do better) if I worked out twice a day for a shorter amount of time?
    thanks!

I agree with somebody on this thread who said are you taking any days off?

I have done sport for a great many years and it is vitally important that you have one or two rest days per week. Having said that, for all I know, you may well be doing that anyway!

Quick word of warning though, I was training five times per week, for between one and a half and two hours per day and ended up with a prolapsed disc in my back - the result? no more running or anything aerobic for me as it just flares up again. Believe me, I have tried! I do, however, do racewalking on my treadmill, but to be honest, it is nowhere near as effective, I often think it would have been far, far better for me to have worked out, say, four times per week, for one hour at a time. Not as intense, I agree, but at least I may have had a chance to continue running or doing whatever I chose to do :sad:

It's one amazing machine the human body, unfortunately, in my own case, I pushed it beyond its limit and now face the consequences.

Just be careful, being fit is marvellous, but it is lovely to remain that way :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • nlagrone
    nlagrone Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just have to say to the poster and to all that replied that you have some real dedication in you for working out more than once per day. I barely have time for one workout and I'm reading and seeing others working out two and three times a day...my hats off to you!! In addition to my regular workouts sometimes if I finally have a bored moment or just in passing I may pick up some weights but usually it's only to do some reps real quick NOT to turn it into a full second or third full session workout. A two hour workout sounds perfect to me although I'd opt for a max of 90 minutes especially if I realized my body couldn't handle what stress I'm trying to force upon it. Adequate rest, water, good nutrition, and monitor your calorie intake and output because that could be the main cause of your energy depletion by the end of that second hour, you just don't have enough fuel left in you. I had a personal trainer that required me to eat a hearty meal about an hour and a half prior to my workouts to make sure I had the energy to even get a good workout in then eat a meal afterwards that contained protein followed by a good nights rest.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Quick word of warning though, I was training five times per week, for between one and a half and two hours per day and ended up with a prolapsed disc in my back - the result? no more running or anything aerobic for me as it just flares up again. Believe me, I have tried! I do, however, do racewalking on my treadmill, but to be honest, it is nowhere near as effective, I often think it would have been far, far better for me to have worked out, say, four times per week, for one hour at a time. Not as intense, I agree, but at least I may have had a chance to continue running or doing whatever I chose to do :sad:

It's one amazing machine the human body, unfortunately, in my own case, I pushed it beyond its limit and now face the consequences.

Just be careful, being fit is marvellous, but it is lovely to remain that way :happy: :flowerforyou:

I feel for you! I remember the first time I got injured, I was very sad to be missing my workouts! In hindsight, I know I was doing much too much. Lots of high intensity aerobics and weight training. Often 4-6hrs of exercise a day. Then I had my first stress-fracture in my left foot. OUCH!! but because I didn't know, I assumed it was muscle/tendon pain and just kept on training (bad idea!). Eventually, I let it rest and it healed. Then I started back at the gym just doing 1 or 2 hours per day. About a year later I had my 2nd stress fracture - in the other foot, not nearly as severe as the first because I knew what it was from the beginning.

These days, I try to limit my high intensity exercise to a few times a week!
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My typcial day usually has just one work out in the evenings after work, because I get to work so early and work 12 hr shift. I usually get in at least 1 hr of cardio or strength training and try to do abs at least 2 to 3 times a week too. Generally I get 1 to 1.5 hrs of a work out every evening. There are some days that I don't go to work so early that I work out before work too... On my day off from work or my weekends I try to get in more than one workout since I have the time. I work out 6 days a week typically, if I do less I feel like I'm slacking.
  • fluffy21
    fluffy21 Posts: 25
    Options
    hey guys! thank you so much for your feedback

I have not been taking any days off (or very rarely) so I definitely will try to start doing that... I just feel really guilty when I don't run on a day

and I think I a going to start trying to break up my workouts so I do not tire out... I need to start waking up earlier anyway and I ahve lots of extra time now that it is summer =)

thank you all so much for the responses!
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I usually do one long workout on my workout days but like you I get tired towards the end. Some days I'll split it up some to prevent getting tired like that. I also really bump up my water intake and think that helps a lot too.
  • MandasCorner
    MandasCorner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too would say to do it however it works best for you. I've been trying to walk every day with a friend or two and right now I can only handle walking around the block once. I want to do it twice but my back just won't let me. So, what I want to try to start doing is walking twice a day with a few hours in between each session. That, I think I could handle and hopefully that way I won't injure myself by pushing it too hard once. Hope that helps :)