SO hard to lose when petite

Options

Replies

• missystalker
    Options
    I should have been clearer. When I meant reduce 500 calories, I meant as my total net. I still eat around 800 to 1200 calories a day, but I exercise a lot to ensure that my net ends up being around 600 or 700 so that it remains at a 500 deficit in order to lose a pound a week. I am 5 ft 1 and I am 116 pounds. I train really hard by doing cross fit and marathon training, but the diet portion has been quite difficult. Thanks for all the responses! It is motivating to hear from other petites who have been successful. Feel free to add me as a friend! I need the motivation!

this is waaaaaaaaaaay to little food.... seriously, do a search for the "in place of a road map" thread, and read it all carefully, so you can get a good idea of how much you should be eating.

eating 800-1200 calories a day is not enough if your BMR is 1300 cals/day

doing all that exercise so your net ends up aroun 600-700 cals/day is self starvation.

you CAN eat a lot more, and lose the last little bits of stubborn fat. not only can, but SHOULD.

I guess I'm being the devil's advocate here (and I also realize I approached this thread with a complaint regarding my routine not working quickly enough), but wouldn't I be avoiding starvation if I'm working out as much as I am? I do 2, sometimes 3 different workouts throughout the day (I'm self-employed so I'm extremely lucky to have the free time) and therefore I'm forcing my muscles to work (telling my body not to burn muscle since I need it). Wouldn't this result in me burning more fat? Also, the foods I eat are very high in nutrients (green smoothies, salads, etc) so it seems I wouldn't be depriving my body. I suppose I came here for the sake of complaining because it seems unfair that a female a few inches taller than me would not have to reduce her calories nearly as much and still get better results. It sucks being short! :)
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hit my target goal weight finally after I switched my exercise routine up, guess my body just got use to my routine. I then switched to weights like a lot suggested and gained 5 lbs in 3 days, eating the same 1600 calories a day I had been and eating clean as usual... ugh...guess it's back to cardio to lose those 5lbs back again.

When you start weights its normal for you to see a jump on the scale. It's just your muscles holding on to water. It will eventually go away. Two months of strength training did more for my body than six months of cardio.

I'll take your word for it and give it a few weeks then. I hope I don't gain 10-15lbs just from switching to weights. I don't wan't heavy muscle, just toning.

You're not going to gain muscle at a deficit. A few ounces of newbie gains, but nothing terrible noticeable. The weight you see is just water retention like the other poster said. It went away for me mostly after a few weeks. Now I still get a slight upward fluctuation the day after I lift but it's never much. It's good to realize that your weight is a range anyway. I'm in maintenance at the moment and mine ranges from 129-132.

Understanding the math can help. 5 lbs would be 17500 calories, approximately. If you didn't eat that amount over and above your maintenance calories then you didn't gain fat.

I'm not really looking for muscle, just toning up a bit. I'm happy with the way I look now. I had seen the scale very steady for 2 months but when I added the weights, boom went up..Like you said, I guess it's water weight gain in the muscles, but I think since I'm happy with the way I look now, I'll just stick with cardio 4 days a week and maintain like I was doing, since I'm not looking for a lot of muscle gain.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I should have been clearer. When I meant reduce 500 calories, I meant as my total net. I still eat around 800 to 1200 calories a day, but I exercise a lot to ensure that my net ends up being around 600 or 700 so that it remains at a 500 deficit in order to lose a pound a week. I am 5 ft 1 and I am 116 pounds. I train really hard by doing cross fit and marathon training, but the diet portion has been quite difficult. Thanks for all the responses! It is motivating to hear from other petites who have been successful. Feel free to add me as a friend! I need the motivation!

this is waaaaaaaaaaay to little food.... seriously, do a search for the "in place of a road map" thread, and read it all carefully, so you can get a good idea of how much you should be eating.

doing all that exercise so your net ends up aroun 600-700 cals/day is self starvation.

you CAN eat a lot more, and lose the last little bits of stubborn fat. not only can, but SHOULD.

This.

Netting so low is not healthy. Respect your body. Increase your calories and be patient.
  • crickie152
    crickie152 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have struggled after losing just 7lb and getting down to 141lb. However, 6 weeks ago I started the IF diet (intermittent fasting) and I'm now starting to lose again. My TDEE is 1770 so for 5 days a week I eat well for that amount and then for 2 days I eat 25% of that (around 445 cals). It's not too bad - I have porridge made with water and oodles of blueberries for breakfast then usually a Quorn meal with some salad for dinner. I'm finding this easier than sticking to a low cal diet every day and being denied little treats and what's best is that it actually works! I've lost 4lbs in 5 weeks which pleases me greatly!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: perhaps you need to increase your protein amounts for each meal. if you eat enough protein it keeps you fuller longer through out the day!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I hit my target goal weight finally after I switched my exercise routine up, guess my body just got use to my routine. I then switched to weights like a lot suggested and gained 5 lbs in 3 days, eating the same 1600 calories a day I had been and eating clean as usual... ugh...guess it's back to cardio to lose those 5lbs back again.

When you start weights its normal for you to see a jump on the scale. It's just your muscles holding on to water. It will eventually go away. Two months of strength training did more for my body than six months of cardio.

I'll take your word for it and give it a few weeks then. I hope I don't gain 10-15lbs just from switching to weights. I don't wan't heavy muscle, just toning.

Unless you eat a LOT you aren't going to gain heavy muscle. Like they said, it's just water. Big bulky females aren't made by mistake, they have to try and try HARD to look like that. If you put on 15 pounds of muscle I want to hear your secret.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: also if you increase your calorie intake rather than lower it you can sometimes loose more weight. i am 5'2" & i did that after going to see a dietiacian her suggestion was to increase my caloric intake which i did & started losing again!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I guess I'm being the devil's advocate here (and I also realize I approached this thread with a complaint regarding my routine not working quickly enough), but wouldn't I be avoiding starvation if I'm working out as much as I am? I do 2, sometimes 3 different workouts throughout the day (I'm self-employed so I'm extremely lucky to have the free time) and therefore I'm forcing my muscles to work (telling my body not to burn muscle since I need it). Wouldn't this result in me burning more fat? Also, the foods I eat are very high in nutrients (green smoothies, salads, etc) so it seems I wouldn't be depriving my body. I suppose I came here for the sake of complaining because it seems unfair that a female a few inches taller than me would not have to reduce her calories nearly as much and still get better results. It sucks being short! :)

no, because working out burns calories. Netting 800 cals/day or less is starvation. The more you work out on so few calories, the more you are starving yourself, not the less. The more you work out, the more you need to eat. Working out does not make you need to eat less food.

Your body will burn muscle in this situation. Your body can't generate the energy it needs to keep your organs functioning and keep up the levels of activity you're doing from nowhere. If you're not giving it energy (i.e. calories) to run properly from the food you eat, it'll take it from your body. In a prolonged food shortage (whether you're exercising or not) this will come from your muscles as much as, or even more than, your fat reserves, as fat will make you survive longer in a famine, while muscle is a liability, because it uses more energy than fat. Your body burns muscle to make you more energy efficient to survive the famine. When the human body starves, by the time your body fat is starting to run out, your muscles are already so wasted that you look like skin and bones, and at that point you are extremely close to death. Your body will not burn fat while leaving the muscles alone, unless you are feeding it properly to begin with, which you are not. The leaner you get, the more likely your body will burn muscle rather than fat, even if you are doing a bodybuilding level of training. Bodybuilders seek to minimise lean muscle losses by eating properly and cutting fat slowly at a very moderate deficit.

No matter how many micronutrients there are in your shakes, etc, if you're not supplying yourself with enough calories to sustain your body, you are starving yourself. Your body needs *energy* to sustain itself, calories are a unit of energy (just as centimetres are a unit of length) - vitamins do not give you energy. Fat, protein and carbohydrate gives you energy.

Seriously, eat more!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I'm not intending to be rude at all, but I am not quite sure you understand how MFP works? First, Your BMR is the MINIMUM number of calories you should be consuming EVERY DAY, and you should not be taking a deficit from that number, your deficit comes from your TDEE. You should always NET at LEAST at, and ideally somewhat ABOVE, your BMR for optimal nutrition and fat loss.

Second, your calorie goal set by MFP ALREADY has a deficit built-in, so that you would lose weight even if you did NOT exercise. This is why it is SO important to eat your exercise calories back, or at least some of them. You will never get enough nutrients netting below your BMR.

You are eating FAR too little for as much exercise as you are doing. Also, since you are so very close to your goal, 1 pound a week is probably a bit ambitious, 1/2 pound may make a little more sense. Yes, it takes longer, but your body will thank you for it.

Don't EVEN worry about "bulking up," this really is a complete myth for women. We simply do not have the testosterone to develop huge muscles without some type of supplementation. Lifting weights may initially put on some weight, but I guarantee you will actually BE smaller measurement-wise....don't let the number on the scale rule your life!

Anyway, I hope this helped, and I wish you a lot of luck, you're doing amazing! :flowerforyou:
  • leatherandfur
    Options
    Hello!

I'm 5'1 and can totally relate! I'd also like to add that an extra 10lbs on our frames looks like 50lb! It's crazy and hard to lose, I'm working on the 1200calorie thing without logging in my fruit/veggies.

Also trying to be patient and not so hard on myself, which is also difficult, but I don't want to lose quickly just to gain it all back the next week

Any shorties add me! x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm not petite, just older. My BMR is 1333 (so close to yours). I'm eating 1500-1800 a day.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. I went from 137 to 105 (I'm 5'1) and I didn't starve myself. My BMR is only 1190 so I feel your pain, but you need to fuel your body. Losing 1/2 a pound a week is a good goal when you're so petite. I don't think I've ever lost 1 pound a week on a consistent basis.
  • blantondwb
    blantondwb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You can tone without bulking by using light weight with high repetitions. Work the muscle to fatigue. Be sure to stretch the area worked afterwards to release the lactic acid from the muscle to speed recovery and prevent soreness.
    Please make sure you do not go below your basic calorie requirements.
  • missystalker
    Options

no, because working out burns calories. Netting 800 cals/day or less is starvation. The more you work out on so few calories, the more you are starving yourself, not the less. The more you work out, the more you need to eat. Working out does not make you need to eat less food.

Your body will burn muscle in this situation. Your body can't generate the energy it needs to keep your organs functioning and keep up the levels of activity you're doing from nowhere. If you're not giving it energy (i.e. calories) to run properly from the food you eat, it'll take it from your body. In a prolonged food shortage (whether you're exercising or not) this will come from your muscles as much as, or even more than, your fat reserves, as fat will make you survive longer in a famine, while muscle is a liability, because it uses more energy than fat. Your body burns muscle to make you more energy efficient to survive the famine. When the human body starves, by the time your body fat is starting to run out, your muscles are already so wasted that you look like skin and bones, and at that point you are extremely close to death. Your body will not burn fat while leaving the muscles alone, unless you are feeding it properly to begin with, which you are not. The leaner you get, the more likely your body will burn muscle rather than fat, even if you are doing a bodybuilding level of training. Bodybuilders seek to minimise lean muscle losses by eating properly and cutting fat slowly at a very moderate deficit.

No matter how many micronutrients there are in your shakes, etc, if you're not supplying yourself with enough calories to sustain your body, you are starving yourself. Your body needs *energy* to sustain itself, calories are a unit of energy (just as centimetres are a unit of length) - vitamins do not give you energy. Fat, protein and carbohydrate gives you energy.

Seriously, eat more!

I doubt I would allow myself it get to the skin and bones part :)

But I do see what you mean about your muscles needing the proper amount of calories for recovery and rebuilding reasons. I'm impatient and I'm realizing I can't just magically make the weight fall off in a few days. I've been doing the low calorie thing for a few weeks now and haven't felt weak or unable to do my hard exercises, but I will listen to my body and pay more attention to what I'm feeding my muscles. Thanks for the advice!
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi;

I'm 59 years old, 4'9" and I am doing the Petite Advantage Diet. It is a book by Jim Karas, and is designed especially for us shorties! The diet is 1100 calories for two days, then 1600 on the third. I have lost 27 pounds in a little less than a year. That includes being off-plan for vacations, etc. That may seem pretty slow but it is the only diet that has worked for me in many years. I exercise with TRX straps; the exercise plan is built into the diet. My doctor is aware of my calories intake, and supports it as long as I feel good, which I do.

I think the key to the diet is the balance of carbs, protein, and fat. If I stay close to the recommended proportions, I do well. If I have too many carbs, I don't do as well. In this case, a calorie is not a calorie!

My BMR is about 1190; when I have my higher calorie days, I do go up. It takes a couple more days to begin losing again. So with all the calorie ups and downs, I lose about a pound a week.

I think we all have to do the plan that works for us. Everyone is different. I do realize that at 59, my needs are different than a 25 year old. This plan is working for me, and if I choose wisely, I eat a surprising amount of food!
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I think this is so hard for us petite girls that are trying to lose weight to grasp and believe that using weights is not going to make us look bigger. That adding weights to our exercise is just better and WILL make you smaller with muscles. :drinker: (If that makes sense)
    The harsh truth is that the scale will probably show a higher number than you want, but you have to understand the difference between fat vs. muscles.
    If I was you and if you have some weight to lose, don’t look too much at the scale us a measuring tape and smaller pants.
    And also, if you aren't losing weight you have to look in to what you are eating. To little calories with good exercise don't = weight lose. (for some, but if you are trying and it's not happening for you, than you are not one of them)
    Question to you: if you would fit in to a smaller pants size than you have now and the scale would maybe say 4 losing. lbs more. Over which one would you be happy about?
    Add me if you want
  • missystalker
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. I went from 137 to 105 (I'm 5'1) and I didn't starve myself. My BMR is only 1190 so I feel your pain, but you need to fuel your body. Losing 1/2 a pound a week is a good goal when you're so petite. I don't think I've ever lost 1 pound a week on a consistent basis.

Your weight loss is so close to my goal! I started at 131 and I'm trying to get to around 105. I actually lost the first 18 pounds really fast (almost a pound a week) and then I crashed around Christmas time and cheated a lot. I gained back to 116 (so disappointed with myself) and I just want to get back on track. I'm very impatient.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Seriously, eat more!

I doubt I would allow myself it get to the skin and bones part :)

But I do see what you mean about your muscles needing the proper amount of calories for recovery and rebuilding reasons. I'm impatient and I'm realizing I can't just magically make the weight fall off in a few days. I've been doing the low calorie thing for a few weeks now and haven't felt weak or unable to do my hard exercises, but I will listen to my body and pay more attention to what I'm feeding my muscles. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou: and do check out the "in place of a road map" thread - you can search for it, the version 3 is best.... it explains everything much better than I can, plus it gives step by step instructions for how to work out the right amount of calories to sustain your body properly, while still losing weight at a slow and steady rate. As you're already at a healthy weight and just want to lose the last few bits of stubborn fat, IMO it's even more important to get just the right amount of calories. Too little and you lose lean body mass... too many and you don't lose anything. The last few lbs are the hardest to lose but it can be done with the right approach.... and this approach is extremely healthy too, and you shouldn't feel deprived or hungry in the process.
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    I am 5 foot and the last 8 pounds I want to loose is hanging there.
  • missystalker
    Options

I think this is so hard for us petite girls that are trying to lose weight to grasp and believe that using weights is not going to make us look bigger. That adding weights to our exercise is just better and WILL make you smaller with muscles. :drinker: (If that makes sense)
    The harsh truth is that the scale will probably show a higher number than you want, but you have to understand the difference between fat vs. muscles.
    If I was you and if you have some weight to lose, don’t look too much at the scale us a measuring tape and smaller pants.
    And also, if you aren't losing weight you have to look in to what you are eating. To little calories with good exercise don't = weight lose. (for some, but if you are trying and it's not happening for you, than you are not one of them)
    Question to you: if you would fit in to a smaller pants size than you have now and the scale would maybe say 4 losing. lbs more. Over which one would you be happy about?
    Add me if you want
    [/quote]

I went from straight cardio to all weight lifting and I love it so much more than cardio! It did not bulk me up. I do cross fit and I'm pretty strong now after doing it for a long time. I do TGUs with a 20 pound kettlebell and my arms are not bulky at all. I would advise focusing a lot on your legs (1 because they are the largest muscle and therefore burn more calories and 2 it avoids the bulky look on your upper body). Good luck!