Running bores me

Options
13»

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are running FOR. I Personally started running more because I want to complete a 5k. Do i find it boring? Nope..because I use my Polar FT4 to burn more calories then yesterday (compete with myself) so I can have some ice cream or cake for dinner.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Why keep doing something you don't enjoy?

There's so much other cardio you can do, I never had an interest in running but have done loads of cardio workouts, zumba, ohter dancing, HIIT etc. You can find workouts on youtube.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Make sure you've got all the latest updates for Zombies, Run! or delete and reload. There were a lot of bugs that got fixed before I finished it.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Find some running buddies! It makes the time fly by..I run with two other moms at 5 am three days a week and we talk the whole time....I look forward to it:)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Have you tried entering into some races? Say 5k etc... maybe if you see that side of it, it will amp you up a little bit. Maybe try for some goals? For example, train for a half or full marathon?

I find when I have goals I am more into what I am doing that if I don't. Just a suggestion.
  • ExNihil0
    ExNihil0 Posts: 60
    Options
    I didnt think sprints lasted long enough to be boring.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I say just keep running, and while out there listening to your awesome play list of random super cool songs - just enjoy the view, clear your thoughts, let the surroundings take over and just enjoy it. It becomes habit forming after awhile. Not to mention after a good long jog, you always feel accomplished.

A good way to burn fat - run in high speed intervals. example - walk at a speed of 3.5mph for 200 meters and then run as HARD AS YOU CAN for 200 meters. Then repeat maybe four times. It's a fantastic way to burn fat, condition your lungs and get through cardio.

I personally love running. I cant say that every day my body responds to it the same but I still go out there and jog anyway. Some days my body and mind just dont want to go any further than 2 miles and some days my body and mind can go jogging for an hour.

Just do it anyway - try to enjoy it as i said initially.
  • budgester
    budgester Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your in the UK, have a look at

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Have you tried that app Zombie Run? That might entertain you, I have heard a lot of people say it makes the time go by faster. I have not tried it, but my understanding is that there is a story line and you get chased by zombies. I think that you might be able to play your own playlist with it too, but not sure.

This app actually helped me enjoy running a lot. I was in the same boat as you. I HATED running, but it seemed to be most effective for weight loss. So... I downloaded the app on a whim. Consider it an investment. ;) I now reasonably enjoy running. It's still not something I look forward to, but I don't hate it now and sometimes I even enjoy myself.

Good luck!
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love to run. If it's really something you want to learn to love then I suggest getting a GPS watch. That way you can switch it up and go anywhere you want without a set route and still get in the distance you want :-)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I might be of zero help since I actually like running.

How often are you running? Are you running every day? If that's the case then yeah, it will be boring and you will come to dread it. When I was training for a half marathon several years ago I was running most days of the week and after a while I began to dread hopping on the treadmill or hitting the road to do my long run and it became zero fun for me. Could it possibly be that the program you're following is too regimented? For me, while I like training for an event I like doing it on MY time. I like being the one to set when I run, how long etc. etc. Like with the marathon training I dreaded it because I was forced to do it and when the marathon was done I took about a month off from running because I couldn't stomach it any longer.

Also like some people suggested try adding some sprints in with it and try not to think of how much longer you have to do your run. Sometimes what helps get me through a run that I'm starting to dread for whatever reason is picturing the route in my head and giving my self little goals like "Ok. Around the corner is X road. You can get to that!" You just need to play mind games with yourself sometimes.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Help!
    I can't really afford any other kind of cardio except for running, but oh my god, does it bore me. I have a kickass playlist, nice workout clothes, I run along a beautiful river... and all I can think is "ugh, another X minutes before I can do something that's fun".
    Anyone else have the same problem? What do you do about it?

If you don't like it, don't do it.

Find something you DO like and do that instead.
  • Stanski21
    Stanski21 Posts: 42
    Options
    I used to be the same... used to hate running. It was always a means to an end... lose weight, get fitter, run away from the wife... never found it fun.

Until one day, without ceremony, or any variance from habit I just thought; Man that was really fun! I really couldn't tell you why it happened or what changed, but one day it was literally 'CLICK: I LOVE running!'

Hope it happens to you too.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    Same here
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You may be a new runner and have yet to find running as pleasurable as it can be. I have run with music - listening to Techno, Chopin, Mozart - as well as Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gary Moore, and ZZ Top.... but I seem to enjoy running without the distraction a little better.

I often lose myself in my thoughts as I run. To me I find this a good time to sort through the world's problems, recall memories, friends, etc. Running allows me to be by myself, a treat in my busy demanding world.

Give it time, running just may open a door to a welcomed personal relationship with yourself. Running is not running, running is something that accompanies me through life.... Running is an old friend - & is as comforting as that old worn flannel shirt.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Help!
    I can't really afford any other kind of cardio except for running, but oh my god, does it bore me. I have a kickass playlist, nice workout clothes, I run along a beautiful river... and all I can think is "ugh, another X minutes before I can do something that's fun".
    Anyone else have the same problem? What do you do about it?
    What do you want? A medal! so it bores you, do something else, stay at home, eat cheese... Get a bike, cycle for an hour, or is that to boring too.
    erm.. no? Just to understand what makes it fun for other people. I can't afford to get a bike or I would. I go hiking, but can only get out of town for that once a week since I work six days a week and that's not enough. i'd like a regular cardio exercise that's actually enjoyable rather than just a chore. So I'm asking. No need to be an *kitten*, but then again that seems to be a reoccurring theme on the MFP forums: self-righteous twats who don't actually intend to help anyone, just snark. Does that make you feel better about yourself?

I have Zombies, run!, but it keeps on crashing /not playing my playlist, so I get left with these 2 minute gaps of silence between the story. I've reported that several times to the app developer, but no luck so far :/

Thanks for all the people with some actual advice. I'll have a look at the various circuit trainings :) love the " run backwards" or "get someone to chase you with an axe" ^^

Try some of your local resale shops, they might have a decent bike that fits your budget. I know this goes with the change of scenery theme, but try to locate some hills or steps. And keep up the great work.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you say another x minutes until I can do something fun... what's fun?

Is there a reason you are running if you hate it so much?

^^......this........fiind soemthing you like else you run the risk of finding any excuse not to. Find something that keeps you motivated and look forward to doing.