HELP! GUIDANCE NEEDED - QUICK!!

Options
I've been losing weight steadily - 1.5 to 2lbs per week for three months. Ive avoided all the pitfals but tonight ive been invited to a chinese buffet meal - oh lawdie!!!!!!
I have it in my head that if I have a half serving of noodles, lots of veg and some light protein, prawn, chicken, salmon, cooked without oil I can get through this. I want to add four pieces of vegetable sushi to start and a fruit dessert. Will this idea blow me over the 900 calories I can afford to use up?
I did some walking this morning and burned nearly 300 calories, so I have some spare, but I really dont want to weigh on saturday and see no loss, or even a gain!!
Can anyone out there advise me please?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight steadily - 1.5 to 2lbs per week for three months. Ive avoided all the pitfals but tonight ive been invited to a chinese buffet meal - oh lawdie!!!!!!
    I have it in my head that if I have a half serving of noodles, lots of veg and some light protein, prawn, chicken, salmon, cooked without oil I can get through this. I want to add four pieces of vegetable sushi to start and a fruit dessert. Will this idea blow me over the 900 calories I can afford to use up?
    I did some walking this morning and burned nearly 300 calories, so I have some spare, but I really dont want to weigh on saturday and see no loss, or even a gain!!

My advice would be to reevaluate the amount of anxiety you may have over social events and Chinese food.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you've got a pretty good plan in place. Not sure how you'll know whether things are cooked in oil or not unless they do hibachi cooking at the place you're going to but I will say that just avoiding the fried stuff is a huge improvement.

Try logging what you plan to eat and see what you get for calories. I doubt it'll be more than 900 but you'll know for sure that way.
  • DomFruch02
    Options
    Consume massive amounts of ice cold water through out the day. You will be suprised how quickly you will become "stuffed". Good luck.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

My advice would be to reevaluate the amount of anxiety you may have over social events and Chinese food.

I agree with this.

Life is full of restaurants, social events, parties, holidays, etc. You have to learn how to handle thse (without freaking out) in order to have long term success.

Will one day over your intake level hurt you? Nope. Even if you go over your allotted calories, chances are that you will still be vastly under your TDEE. A pound is 3500 calories - so unless you eat your TDEE plus 3500 calories, you should be fine. Will the scale fluctuate tomorrow? Probably. But that's normal.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

^^ This.

One day of enjoying a delicious buffet will not ruin your progress to date. If you're weighing the next day you may very well see a gain because Chinese food is inherently high in sodium, which can cause water retention. Why not put away the scale for a week and just enjoy a meal out with your friends?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of chinese buff-ehts is making a sailboat out of egg rolls and spare ribs on a sea of rice water and dumpling waves...and then eating the f*** out of it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's one event happening on one day. You didn't become overweight by eating one large meal at a social event and you won't blow all your progress by enjoying yourself at this outing. Relax, you'll be fine
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's one event happening on one day. You didn't become overweight by eating one large meal at a social event and you won't blow all your progress by enjoying yourself at this outing. Relax, you'll be fine

All of the above.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Chill buddy..you didn't get heavy overnight..enjoy!
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Consume massive amounts of ice cold water through out the day. You will be suprised how quickly you will become "stuffed". Good luck.

This ;)
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    eat veggies and drink a pile of water before you go! If this is new to you, and you have an issue with chinese food, maybe it's best not to have it. For me, since I'm a food addict, I have to consider any bad decision could be a trigger.

Really, I'm one chinese food buffet away from gaining 100 pounds back.

I know, that's being silly, but alcoholics can't have one drink. I'm learning I can't have one binge.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options

^^ This.

One day of enjoying a delicious buffet will not ruin your progress to date. If you're weighing the next day you may very well see a gain because Chinese food is inherently high in sodium, which can cause water retention. Why not put away the scale for a week and just enjoy a meal out with your friends?

^^ This too. Relax...let the scale go this week and check it next friday. If you let the obsession for the scale win, then you lose.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

^^^^This made me laugh - but in a sad way, it sounds like me.
    I truly get anxious going out to eat, or being confronted with any type of food situation that I may not be able to navigate gracefully. Like office parties, or being asked to lunch with a co-worker, etc.
    Just this morning, on the way into work, I had a 15 minute go-round in my head about whether or not to stop at Tim Horton's and have a coffee and a bagel.
    It's almost painful - I'm not sure if this is good for me? Sounds like the OP has some issues like I do.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Yes, and also running back and forth to the ladies room all night will burn a few extra calories...:laugh: