working out everyday?

Options
Is it ok/safe to workout like an hour or 2 every day?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are doing. If a couple of those days are light, sure. If they are all intense workouts, then you put yourself at risk for overtraining issues and injury.
    I personally hate taking a day off, but I force myself to take it very easy one day with no more than a walk or Body Flow
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Most people do not have a good enough diet or recovery practices to compensate for working out every day. But I agree that it mostly depends on what kinds of workouts you do. Light, steady-state cardio is probably not going to hurt you if you eat enough, get enough sleep, and are proactive about dealing with injuries. For any other kind of exercise, I'd say you absolutely need rest days.
  • mohojojo
    mohojojo Posts: 26
    Options
    I typically workout out 6-7 days a week doing one body part per day and maybe 20 minutes cardio. It probably takes me about 45-55 minutes to do that..less if i get my cardio in with the weight training. I make sure I don't train the same muscle back to back. With all that being said, it will catch up to you and your body will need a break especially more if your doing 2 hours. For me, that's a 7 day break from exercising and then I start something new or do it all over again.
    Just make sure like jq2122 said about your diet and recovery practices.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important. You should be taking at least 1, if not 2, a week.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I was working out for about 90 mins every day for about 3 weeks. I finally got to a point where I was exhausted, my body hurt everywhere so badly I could hardly walk. I took 2 days off, felt much better and then got sick. I am getting about 3 days a week in now until I can fully recover from cold/flu/ dental work and then hoping to go back up to 5 days a week!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week...but my "workouts" are an hour max. I alternate running and weight lifting. On days off work I usually end up taking my dogs to the park for a 3 mile walk as well. Notice I said walk. Sundays...if I work are complete rest days, I don't do anything. If I am off work I do the 3 mile walk and have an active rest day.

Everyone needs rest days. It allows your body a full day dedicated to nothing else but recovery. Also, it helps you out so you don't get burnt out.
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The way I look at working out is what schedule is something I can live with forever! If you work out two hours a day to get to your weight goal, is that something you'll be able to keep up after you reach your goal?

I usually do an hour alternate days and 45 minutes between....

And I make sure I eat back the calories I burn
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Most people do not have a good enough diet or recovery practices to compensate for working out every day. But I agree that it mostly depends on what kinds of workouts you do. Light, steady-state cardio is probably not going to hurt you if you eat enough, get enough sleep, and are proactive about dealing with injuries. For any other kind of exercise, I'd say you absolutely need rest days.

This. And it appears from your diary you aren't eating a lot.
    On top of the injury factor, exercising for hours on end is not necessary for weight loss and high amounts of cardio paired with a large deficit can actually make it harder to lose weight. A good shorter workout would be much more beneficial that hours of working out at a lower intensity. Keep in mind that whatever exercise you do has to be sustainable. If you have huge calorie burns, the. Reach goal and stop it will be much harder to maintain.

Now, if you are training for something specific, and training properly it is fine. Of course, those who train for an endurance event usually pair it with good nutrition so the above noted isn't really a concer.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do, but I make sure that at least one day is light such as stretching/yoga.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I was working out fairly fully 7 days a week. That was weight training one day and running the next and going like that. I am still exercising every day but twice a week it's really really light almost like a rest day. When I'm maintaining I'll be running about 4-5 days a week with actual rest days. That starts very soon, maybe by the middle of april...