Addicted to exercise... Anyone else?

Options
Does anyone else get addicted to exercise?

I am finding myself wanting to do more and more exercise and loving the feeling of the pain afterward... Is that normal?LOL

I don't want to over do it and my husband is concerned I am doing too much so if I may, I would like to run my plans past you guys for some advise...

I can only get to the gym twice a week, but I do manage to get a good thorough workout and spend about 90 minutes there with at least 50-60 cardio.

My plan is to work out 6 days a week

Monday - 10/15 minute legs/bum, then gym in the evening up to 90 minutes

Tuesday 10/15 minute abs

Wednesday 10/15 minute legs/bum, then gym in the evening up to 90 minutes

Thursday 10/15 minute legs/bum

Friday 10/15 minute abs and then 1 hour workout DVD

Saturday 10/15 minute abs

Sunday - REST

How does that sound? I was planning on changing up the different routines so I have a nice variety.

Is this a good way to do it? Do I need to cut down? What is your workout plan?

Replies

• bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Especially the rest day. Working hard, you'll need to give your muscles a break so the tearing they suffered during the 6 days can repair.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I would personally leave those days in the gym for heavy lifting focusing on squats, deadlifts, rows, presses, etc. and do cardio at home.

However, I do not believe that what you are doing is "too much." If you aren't overly fatigued, cranky from your workouts, undereating, etc. you should definitely be fine.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

Lyadeia, I am actually the opposite, I am full of beans and very happy, chirpy after a work out, the more I am working out the happier I am feeling.

I had a set of dumbbells arrive today and now grinning like an idiot, can't wait to get them out. I am now just waiting for some ankle weights.

Looking forward to the summer so I can get outside and walking, I really enjoy that!
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted yet but I definitely have an interest again. I wish I was addicted, maybe I could get Zuzka's or Halle's body quicker.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Addicted? Maybe...I would say I am "dedicated" to fitness. It is part of my lifestyle now and I love it! If it makes you happy, then exercise till your heart is content! Just take at least one day off a week. :)
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    I think I have issues! LOL.

Went to the gym last night, woke up this morning aching, and liking it LOL!!
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh don't worry, you're not alone XD Sometimes I get a slight thrill when I know I'm up for a day of madness at the gym, or am about to go for a real killer kickboxing class where the instructor makes me feel like dying throughout ;) But I definitely also take at least one day off *grin*
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what 10/15 minute leg burn is... is that like resistance training? I like exercise and right now I'm going to the gym because I'm bored, but you can get a high from exercise which makes it actually "addicting" in a sense.

If the 10/15 minute burn is like running as fast you can is that part of a specific work out regimen? If it's resistance training then I'm not sure how much muscle you're building as opposed to breaking it down doing it daily + cardio.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What does "gym for 90 minutes" entail? Sounds like fvck-around-itis.

If you direct this energy and toward following a tried and true strength program I bet your results will be accelerated.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    no not addiction like someone said dedicated, i do this much 6 days a week i enjoy it.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If that's addiction I have some serious issues, no it seems fine to me. Honestly I wish I had more rest days, sometimes I skip my rest day to support my daugther or husband and encourage them to exercize and I regreat it.

As long as you're having that rest day you should be fine...it's more a question of your mental state, don't burn yourself out mentally with the routine and allow yourself 2 days off a week when/if you may burn out by trying too much right away. If you've been doing this a while/months, then I think you're probably past that.

My general schedule because I LOVE exercize (not because I'm trying to lose weight, I EAT a lot) :

Monday: 55 min zumba toning, 30-45 minutes run and/or combo stair climber (mostly to watch biggest loser on gym TV)

Tuesday: 55 min yoga, 60 min run intervals w/ daugther (or zumba if she's too busy w/ hw)

Wednesday: 30 min core class, 60 min active class (its a combo class with cardio/free weights/balance/core), 20-30 minutes stairclimb

Thursday: 55 min zumba, 30-45 minutes running and/or combo stair climber

Friday: circuit training weights lower body only, running/stair climbing (60 min total)

Saturday: 60 minutes group power class or upper body training at the gym if I miss power class, and 2 times a month a 1-5 hour hike (may hike and not weight train at all)

Sunday: 30 minutes core class, 30-45 minutes run

I try to take off either a Tuesday if my daugther is busy, or a Sunday if I can coordinate it to be my husband's off day too. We spend a lot of time together Fri-Sun because he isn't home during the week for work. So if one of us exercizes, we both do.

This is why if you look at my Ticker we laughed our tooshies off when I read it at Pei Wei - what more did the fortune cookie want me to do...move INTO the gym???
  • EmmaReed84
    Options

If you direct this energy and toward following a tried and true strength program I bet your results will be accelerated.

90 minutes in the gym is

Warm up, bike 10 minutes

Leg press 2x 20 reps
    Ab crunch 2x 20 reps
    Row 2x 20 reps
    Leg extension 2x 20 reps

Elliptical cross trainer 15 minutes

Treadmill 30 minutes

Rowing machine 10 minutes

Then floor work including weighted squats, kick squats, lunge squats, and several various ab work outs including weighted oblique work outs.

So that works out about 60ish minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of the weight and floor work.

I don't really know what 10/15 minute leg burn is... is that like resistance training? I like exercise and right now I'm going to the gym because I'm bored, but you can get a high from exercise which makes it actually "addicting" in a sense.

If the 10/15 minute burn is like running as fast you can is that part of a specific work out regimen? If it's resistance training then I'm not sure how much muscle you're building as opposed to breaking it down doing it daily + cardio.

I have a list of about 30 exercises for legs. bums, abs and arms (about 15 for upper body and 15 for lower body) I have weights at home and do things like squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups etc.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

90 minutes in the gym is

Warm up, bike 10 minutes

Leg press 2x 20 reps
    Ab crunch 2x 20 reps
    Row 2x 20 reps
    Leg extension 2x 20 reps

Elliptical cross trainer 15 minutes

Treadmill 30 minutes

Rowing machine 10 minutes

Then floor work including weighted squats, kick squats, lunge squats, and several various ab work outs including weighted oblique work outs.

So that works out about 60ish minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of the weight and floor work.

I have a list of about 30 exercises for legs. bums, abs and arms (about 15 for upper body and 15 for lower body) I have weights at home and do things like squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups etc.
    it would actually be more beneficial if you just dropped those 10-15 minutes into your 90 minutes work out. You're in hypertrophy rep range, number of sets is a little low. It sounds like you're over training certain muscle groups and it may be giving you results, but you could be getting better results if you did more concentrated volume in a shorter window.
  • mohojojo
    mohojojo Posts: 26
    Options
    ^^^ what he said
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    I work out t least 90 minutes a day 6-7 days per week. On weekends or days off, I'll do 3 hours. I used to have a job where I could work out 6 hours per day and bike commute another two hours.... that was amazing... Yeah... I'm addicted to exercise. I don't really care who gives me crap about it. Does it interfere with my life? I dunno. It sort of is my life.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am addicted. There is a lady in my Zumba class who sometimes goes to two classes a day, so she works out for 2-3 hours. Good for her, but I don't think I could ever do that! An hour is usually enough for me. However, I have been sick the last couple of days, and now that I am feeling up to part, I am just itching to get back to the gym!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I love exercise and the way it makes me feel. I have to force myself to take a rest day. My rest day is usually on Tuesdays. Its hard for me not to get some kind of exercise in on this day but I remind myself that it's beneficial for my body to have time to repair itself. If I don't take at least one day I notice that my performance will begin to suffer
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted since 19. You're not doing too much. It's when you're in there for 3 hours or more a day (unless there's some specific elite athletic training) that you're probably overdoing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition