HRM Device Help

Options
I am in the market for a HRM / Pedometer. I have been eyeing the FItBit One, but I don't see anything on the specs saying that it monitors heart rate. I don't see how it could, because it is clipped to your clothes. I really don't want to spend more than $100. I know some of the other bands/watches can run upwards of $180. Any suggestions regarding this? I am usually tech savvy, but i am lost in this department :) Thanks MFP friends!!!!

Replies

• Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If you want a good HRM go with a Polar or a Timex... My boyfriend bought me a Timex last year and it has been a great help. I also heard that the Polar FT4 is an awesome buy. Try getting them on Amazon! They always have a better price than if you were to buy it at a sporting store. Good luck to you!
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. It measures both heart rate and calories burned. I paid about $80 for mine, but I know you can get it cheaper. There's also the FT7 that I heard was good. Check Amazon.com.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have a polar 40 and got it from Amazon, can't remember, but it was < $100. I love it, it has a chest strap. I wear it every day. There are sites that review and compare all the different types. The new Nike band is catching on, but I didn't like the reviews. I'll stick with what works best for me. Good luck!!
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    HRM's are completely different from pedometers.

A HRM tracks your heart rate and figures your calorie burn from that.

Pedometers (FitBit and BodyBugg, etc) use your overall movements to figure what your calorie burn *might* be.

These 2 things are NOT interchangeable. The HRM is somewhat more accurate.

I like my FitBit to see just how active/inactive I've been, but I wear my HRM to run, elliptical, lift weights.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM and a FitBit. I used to usea SportLine HRM watch with built-in pedometer that I bought from WalMart. That one was well under $100.

Here's a link for HRMs. The prices look really reasonable.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    HRM's are completely different from pedometers.

A HRM tracks your heart rate and figures your calorie burn from that.

Pedometers (FitBit and BodyBugg, etc) use your overall movements to figure what your calorie burn *might* be.

These 2 things are NOT interchangeable. The HRM is somewhat more accurate.

I like my FitBit to see just how active/inactive I've been, but I wear my HRM to run, elliptical, lift weights.

^^^THIS
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A FitBit is a glorified pedometer. It's basing you calorie burn on how much you move around. A HRM is worn for intentional exercise and is far more accurate because it can tell how hard you're working.

Polar FT4 is a good basic model that works very well. Someone recommended TImex but they are known to over estimate for women because they use they same algorithms for women as for men.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and a Polar FT7 HRM. I use the HRM when I do weight lifting and Pilates ("stand in place" exercises), and the fitbit for my day in general.

I just got the fitbit, so I'm still getting used to it, but so far so good.
  • angtully
    angtully Posts: 1
    Options
    I have used a Timex, but now I have a Polar FT7. The Timex only had me enter my weight, whereas the Polar had me enter my age, weight, height, and sex. I think the calories reflected on my Timex were overestimated and have come to trust my Polar more since I had to enter more details of myself.
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    Options
    Get a Polar FT-40...Its a few bucks over budget but it is a better device.

It will personally evaluate your VO2 Max(Fit Test)

Allow you to put in all your stats including VO2 Max, height, weight, age and HRM.

Using the correct above data...it will give you an accurate calorie burn. HRM are only as accurate as the data they use. The problem with the FT-4 is that it makes alot of assumptions based on your age, height and weight and no allowance for how fit you are. Unfortunately as we age and get more fit we use calories more efficiently.

If your going to invest in one...get one that gives you reliable data and not one that just makes you feel good because of a generous calorie burn number.

BTW...

If you are 50 or Younger....HRM=220-age

50 or older....HRM=206.3-0.67(Age) HRM decline is not linear in all ranges, and there is a break point.

Also if you are using the numbers to adjust your food intake especially...ALA "eat your exercise calories" then make sure you subtract the calories you would have burned sitting still to get net exercise calories burned.

For instance I burn 100 cals/hr all day....either working, or watching TV. So If I work out for 1 hr and get 400 calories...That is Total calories burned....If I didn't work out I would have burned 100 cals just slacking around the house.....So NET calorie Burned due to exercise===Total Calorie Burn-Base Calorie Burn=400-100....so 300 "EXERCISE CALORIES"

Once you get one of these you will realize just how innacurate the algorithms are on this site for calorie burn during execise....These algorithms were likely created using people of Athletic Muscularity and normal metabolisms. That is typically not true for people who struggle with their weight...like many on this site.

One thing I learned the hard way.....If your gonna monitor your energy balance to stay lean and healthy....You better be using the correct data! Many people here are under reporting intake calories and over reporting exercise calories.....Then they don't loose weight.....then the general and automatic advise is...."Eat Your Exercise Calories Back so you will Maintain Metabolism". Then they GAIN weight and get frustrated.

Good Luck