Frustrated with injuries and lack of progress

Options
Yesterday, I pulled a muscle in my lower back for no apparent reason.
This is an area of old injury that just seems to keep coming back to haunt me.
About 15 years ago, my sacroiliac joint was out of alignment.
I went thru physical therapy and it improved but never back to 100%.

My doctor has told me to exercise to strengthen my lower back.
So I do BodyStep and BodyPump 2-3x/week.
But I never seem to be able to progess to a higher intensity of cardio or increased weights.
Either my back or shoulder are bothering me.
(not sure why the shoulder, maybe from a fall when I braced myself with that arm)

I see pictures and hear stories about these women who can squat incredible amounts of weight and I'm frustrated that I'm still lifting such small amounts.

Anyone else dealing with injuries and/or lack of progress?

Replies

• Missa4
    Missa4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yeah, every time I start to feel like I'm establishing a routine something goes wrong. Kids get sick, I get sick, Hubby's work schedule goes crazy, I get some weird injury. Like yesterday, during my walk I got a HUGE nasty blister on my heel. I tried to put a bandage on it and keep going (not smart I know) and ended up ripping a huge chuck of flesh off. Then, thinking I needed to let it "dry out" I left it uncovered most of the day, so it hurt like crazy. I've got it covered today, trying to take it easy.

When I first started this journey, I managed to strain an abdominal muscle kick boxing. Had to take it easy for 6 weeks. A few months later I strained a muscle on top of my foot?? I was told it's a runners injury, which is hilarious, because I have NEVER run in my life until about a month ago. And in almost two years I have managed to loose a grand total of 7 pounds. But, I like to think I have healthier eating habits. And, for the first time in my life, I started running. So hopefully I am at least healthier?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've bad different back injuries but I have improved tons thanks to strength training.

My honest suggestion - since the doctor did suggest strength training - I'd stop the classes and do heavy lifting (ie heavy for you) ideally with someone who can show you proper form.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Those women have worked very hard for those numbers, I can guarantee you. With that said, I'm no doctor but dead lifts are good for strengthening your back. Please, get with your doctor first before you decide to do them, and then get with a trainer or someone who can check your form.
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My knees, things that have never before have bothered me ever, are now the bane of my existence. Usually I have a problem with my ankle from an old sports injury, but I find that my knees are the things that kill me during exercise, not the ankle. I wish I had solutions for you, but I'm in the same boat, and I feel like I'm sinking :(
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Me too. I herniated a disk in my back last summer (L3/4). Tons of therapy and it's still not healed.
    My doctor said no physical excercise until it's healed. I didn't listen and re-injured it and had to start
    at square one. It's really frustrating because I used to be so fit. I can do some upper body work, but even walking for
    more than 1/2 hour is agonizing. And it is very hard to shed weight without the exercise.
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with a couple of nagging injuries and it's really frustrating. I'm going to see an active release therapy practitioner (who also is a chiropractor) since that has helped me in the past. I get tight muscles that cause imbalances, and ART, while brutally painful, has helped in the past. You also may want to think about strength and stretching that will specifically help your lower back- body pump classes usually are more for overall working out rather than really focusing on specific areas. Lifting heavy is a great idea but I'd be careful to work into it slowly so you don't get injured again.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with a couple of nagging injuries and it's really frustrating. I'm going to see an active release therapy practitioner (who also is a chiropractor) since that has helped me in the past. I get tight muscles that cause imbalances, and ART, while brutally painful, has helped in the past. You also may want to think about strength and stretching that will specifically help your lower back- body pump classes usually are more for overall working out rather than really focusing on specific areas. Lifting heavy is a great idea but I'd be careful to work into it slowly so you don't get injured again.

Would a chiroprator suggest exercises?
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Me! Me! Me.. you sound like me this morning. I am finally at a good weight and increased fitness and my body is failing. First, my IT band was giving me problems, then I found out i have a cystocele (falling bladder) which means no heavy weights), and now it looks like I have a pinched nerve that might be worse than I first thought (have yet to go to the doctor0..

I wish I could help you but you should probably have a doctor work with you on a good program. i should probably listen to my own advive
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Me! Me! Me.. you sound like me this morning. I am finally at a good weight and increased fitness and my body is failing. First, my IT band was giving me problems, then I found out i have a cystocele (falling bladder) which means no heavy weights), and now it looks like I have a pinched nerve that might be worse than I first thought (have yet to go to the doctor0..

I wish I could help you but you should probably have a doctor work with you on a good program. i should probably listen to my own advive

My back almost feels like a pinched nerve? But doc says ist's muscular?
    What are your symptoms?
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    Hey Susan. I am certainly not an expert or anything, but maybe you can take something away from my experience. I love exercise and, in particular, love martial arts. I like to train at max intensity all the time. I have always had problems with joint pain - things like tendinitis, arthritis in certain joints, etc. As I have gotten older and tried to maintain that intensity, I have had more strain related pains that I have added to the list. LOL I found that having a fairly regular routine that I follow every week actually contributed to the pain. I guess maybe I was doing some exercises that put a lot of strain on certain joints and doing those exercises multiple times a week, every week was taking it's toll. I changed up my workout so that I do different sets of exercises every day of the week. I have a bank of about 30 or so exercises that I pick from. Every day I pick a different group depending on what I want t work and work those exercises as max intensity. I can still work ... say legs ... three times a week if I want. But I'll do a totally different workout each time. Since I have taken this approach, my pain has significantly decreased. I also enjoy the spontaneity of my workouts! Hope this helps!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Hey Susan. I am certainly not an expert or anything, but maybe you can take something away from my experience. I love exercise and, in particular, love martial arts. I like to train at max intensity all the time. I have always had problems with joint pain - things like tendinitis, arthritis in certain joints, etc. As I have gotten older and tried to maintain that intensity, I have had more strain related pains that I have added to the list. LOL I found that having a fairly regular routine that I follow every week actually contributed to the pain. I guess maybe I was doing some exercises that put a lot of strain on certain joints and doing those exercises multiple times a week, every week was taking it's toll. I changed up my workout so that I do different sets of exercises every day of the week. I have a bank of about 30 or so exercises that I pick from. Every day I pick a different group depending on what I want t work and work those exercises as max intensity. I can still work ... say legs ... three times a week if I want. But I'll do a totally different workout each time. Since I have taken this approach, my pain has significantly decreased. I also enjoy the spontaneity of my workouts! Hope this helps!

Thanks for the ideas Mike :smile:
  • kwilson18
    kwilson18 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

It depends on the practice, but if they are sports focused they should be able to or have physical therapists in the office that could help. The place I'm going has done a lot of work with athletes so they have specific rehab programs- I'll let you know how it goes!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Injury avoidance has become about the single most important part of my exercise plan.

I suffered back problems for decades until I finally started spending enough time stretching and doing light weight rehabilitative exercises recommended by my physical therapist. By doing, I mean every single time I go to the gym, 5-7 days a week. These "injury rehab/prevention" activities take up about 25% of my gym time.

It may seem like a lot to do, but it pays in the long run. Beyond healing/avoiding injuries, as we get older, flexibility and mobility are crucial to health and to enjoying an active life.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My honest suggestion - since the doctor did suggest strength training - I'd stop the classes and do heavy lifting (ie heavy for you) ideally with someone who can show you proper form.

agreed. You have more chance of an injory in a class, especially high impact classes! Too much going on to be able to stay focused on not hurting yourself. Go for the lifting, but watch your form!

I have severe back and neck injuries that will never go away, and when I started I used the cable machines to make sure I wasn't doing anyhing crazy. When I started free weights, I had a trainer show me the correct form, and spot me for a few weeks.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you do BodyPump and then women who you hear about squatting much higher weights - one thing you need to realize is that the squat track in Pump and squatting in the weight room are two different things. In BodyPump I can do the large plates (5kg/11 lbs - 22 lbs total) but yesterday I did one set of front squats that were 85 lbs, then two at 75 lbs when I realized I loaded too much weight! :) Basically Pump is a cardio/endurance class, it is not a strength training class. I encourage you to venture into the weight room. After doing Pump you should have your form down, now instead of 5 minutes/100 squats go do 3 sets of 6-12.

Check out this article: http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/pump-fiction

Good luck with your back problems.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    You mentioned you do BodyPump and then women who you hear about squatting much higher weights - one thing you need to realize is that the squat track in Pump and squatting in the weight room are two different things. In BodyPump I can do the large plates (5kg/11 lbs - 22 lbs total) but yesterday I did one set of front squats that were 85 lbs, then two at 75 lbs when I realized I loaded too much weight! :) Basically Pump is a cardio/endurance class, it is not a strength training class. I encourage you to venture into the weight room. After doing Pump you should have your form down, now instead of 5 minutes/100 squats go do 3 sets of 6-12.

Check out this article: http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/pump-fiction

Good luck with your back problems.

Thanks for the input. I will check out that article.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options

It depends on the practice, but if they are sports focused they should be able to or have physical therapists in the office that could help. The place I'm going has done a lot of work with athletes so they have specific rehab programs- I'll let you know how it goes!

I see a chiropractor regularly- and have since I was about 8 years old. They should always recommend stretching and basic exercises that can help improve your condition...
  • susiepet
    susiepet Posts: 68
    Options
    I sympathise - and know how you feel! I have so many niggling/not so niggling problems my trainer says he's going to get me a wheelchair but we find something to do.
    Oh the glories of age and a mis-spent youth!

Keep going - you'll find something that suits

Sue
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I sympathise - and know how you feel! I have so many niggling/not so niggling problems my trainer says he's going to get me a wheelchair but we find something to do.
    Oh the glories of age and a mis-spent youth!

Keep going - you'll find something that suits

Sue

Good to know I'm not alone.
    It can be somewhat demoralizing when you see these big, young "Hulk" guys telling you to just suck it up and work harder.
    Believe me I'd love to show you up in the weight room but I want to be able to walk when I'm 80 so I'd rather play it safe, thank you very much!:tongue:
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I hear ya girl. I have RA and it's pretty bad in my knees. I use to be a runner and now I can't. I'm only 28 and I get frustrated that my dad who is 56 can run or I see older people running on the treadmill at the gym. But I try and do other activities that I enjoy. I really love Zumba and enjoy doing that. Sometimes the jumping and running in place can irritate my knees so I have to be careful. As long as I keep active doing whatever and sticking to eat healthy the weight is coming off steadily. Strength training is great for women but be careful. Do what you can and go slow.