Dumbbells - which weight would be best for me?

Options
Hi, everyone.

I am currently on a calorie deficit (-500kcal) & I would like to start using dumbbells.

I am slightly worried about starting with a low kg and quickly outgrowing it, money is an issue.

(I can't go to the gym because I suffer from Neurocardio Syncope & I'm working on getting my strength back at home for now.)

I was told that 5kg is the minimum to start with, but I think this was related to gaining strength.

So, does that still apply when you are on a cal def? Can you even gain muscle on a def?

I have been trawling through different websites trying to find the answer, but I'm just getting confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    Why not get adjustable
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Adjustable dumbbells seem like a great idea but they may not be cheap, maybe you can shop around.

On a side note, NCS should not keep you from the gym I don't think, I have a friend who attends the gym I go to who has it. Either way, good luck, I hope you find something to work for you.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I found some good adjustable dumbbells on Craigslist for cheap. They came with a barbell and dumbbells with adjustable weights. Look around for sellers selling used ones.
  • RoseLuxe
    RoseLuxe Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I've found a few adjustable sets that I can afford but again they come in different weights. Is 20kg combined enough?

Unfortunately my NCS is pretty severe and I can't walk more than a few meters without collapsing, I'm working on it though. :)
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Probably enough. You could also google "you are your won gym" and do mostly bodyweight.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have some that are 50 kg combined, think of it as an investment and this is something you will keep for the rest of your life. one day you may need more than 20kg and then you will be back possibly looking to buy more again. then you will have to ask yourself if you are going to buy just higher sets from that point or another adjustable set that has higher weights, If you can afford it I say go for higher. saves you money in the long run and you will always have them.
  • RoseLuxe
    RoseLuxe Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks, guys! :)

I'll have a look at prices for the highest I can get.