Hi I'm New - Here's My Story

Options
Hi,

My name is Jennifer. I joined MFP a long time ago to use as a tool in weight loss assistance/motivation and then flaked out.

So, after a hiatus, I'm back and ready to take this weight loss thing very seriously.

A lot of my motivation this time around is the fact that I'm going to be 40 in June, and I don't want to begin my forties feeling and looking like I'm in my fifties. My thirties involved a lot of stress (divorce, money issues, etc.), a lot of partying, and a lot of yo-yo dieting/working out. As I have aged, I have achieved the wisdom to recognize that the type of lifestyle I have lived does not produce positive results and I need to incorporate a more structured, consistent, and healthier lifestyle that will allow me to hang around on this planet for as long as possible. With age truly does come wisdom.

Turning 40 is really pretty pivotal to me (perhaps it's fear????), but my intent is to be as healthy at 40 as I was when I was 28 (prior to my divorce). I currently weigh 189, and while I'm not really okay with that number, I'm slowing coming to terms with the fact that the scale onlly produces a number and that measurements in terms of inches and the size of my clothing really illustrates the 'real picture' of what is going on with my body. My waist is 35 inches, my hips are 45 inches, and I wear a size 12. By the beginning of June, I want my waist to be 6 inches smaller, my hips to be 6 inches smaller, and to be able to wear a size 8 comfortably. Aside from that, I don't really care what the scale says. When I was in the best shape of my life, I wore a size 4 and weighed 147, so I know using the scale as my only barometer is truly detrimental to my success. I also know that my body type is very muscular in nature, and even though I would be diagnosed as 'clinically obese,' I really don't look like I'm 11 pounds away from the 200 pound mark.

So, my goals are lofty and I have three months to attain them, but I'm geared up and ready to go! I've been really paying attention to my diet for the past few weeks by logging every single morsel that enters my mouth, and I'm truly amazed at how quickly calories add up, particularly with processed foods, and as a result, I've virtually eliminated anything that needs to be unwrapped and/or come out of a bag of any sort. Lots of vegetables and fruits have become the norm for me, which is good because I really hadn't cared for fruits in the past, and I'm learning how to like them. I have also been working out regularly for the past few weeks - 2 days of intense cardio on the elliptical and 3 days of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones (which is absolutely brutal), and 2 days of rest, where I do give myself some leeway in terms of diet...although I'm finding that I still pay attention even though I don't force myself to do so. All in all, I've been at it for about 14 days, and I've made a commitment to make this a 'lifestyle' as opposed to a 'diet.'

My problem is that I get all geared up and psyched about this kind of stuff, and then I flake out after a couple months or so, usually due to boredom or lack of motivation. That is why I'm here. I want to share with others my successes and my challenges, I want to lean on others for moral support and motivation, and I want to be an inspiration to others and let everyone know that turning 40 isn't the end of the world...and it can actually be the beginning of a really good, solid life.

That is my story! Wish me luck! :)

Replies

• Avilamlee
    Avilamlee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best and you can do it...You don't have to far to go!
  • TheBigFish711
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me if you'd like some encouragement!! =)
  • amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I understand the nearing 40, that will be me next year. Feel free to add me if you're looking for support.
  • marcielynn1969
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I am new to this site as this is my first week of journaling everything that touches my lips. WOW what an eye opener!
    I am looking for a group of friends who are willing to believe in, motivate and challenge each other. I am in this for the long run. I have tons of weight I need to lose and major lifestyle changes that need to be made to achieve my goal of living a healthier life. I could use some great advice and positive energy. Please add me as a friend if you’re up for the journey! I do access the site daily via computer and mobile.
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! I am new, as well. Your goals are definitely attainable, so long as you put forth the work. Good luck, best wishes, and happy sweating. ;)
  • scadgirl20
    scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm finding being on here and logging in daily is helping me a lot. I've collected a great support group who keeps me going and on track. I'm sending a friend invite now. Anyone else on here please feel free to add me. I think its best to have a huge support group. Good luck to everyone!
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, you can do this! :)
  • KrD265
    KrD265 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! I share a lot of similarities with you. I encourage you to place your goals in front of you, where you see them daily. This way there is a constant reminder of what you want to achieve. For example, I have my current goal (you can see them all on my profile), on a note card placed on my fridge, the bathroom mirror and as my background on my phone. By keeping your goals before you, and seeing them daily you are never able to escape what is at stake - a healthier you. Once a goal is completed, put a new note card up with the next goal on it. Focusing to achieve one goal at a time, can really help maintain focus and keeps a determined mind, that is necessary to reach the ultimate goal. Also, I celebrate each goal achieved. This little reward, only helps break up the monotony that typically occurs in dieting and exercising. This is just my 2cents, that has helped me in the past 3+ months. Good Luck!
  • Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I never thought of doing that! It would definitely bring accountability to a whole new level. Great suggestion!
  • chesnut11
    chesnut11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer.. My name is Laura and I turn 40 in May so I know where you are coming from. Here is to us hopefully attaining those goals!! Good Luck!! :)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer ...I am Megan .......I am 42 and lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 but let life in general and tragic things get in my way and gained it all back plus some so I re committed back in Jan of this year and am happy to say that I am more determined this time around ......please feel free to add me Thanks
  • Luv2h1k3
    Luv2h1k3 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer! I totally understand the turning 40 thing. I turned 40 this past October and decided in December, enough was enough. I started heavier than you and I'm currently just a little under you. Feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Jennifer. I joined MFP a long time ago to use as a tool in weight loss assistance/motivation and then flaked out.

So, after a hiatus, I'm back and ready to take this weight loss thing very seriously.

A lot of my motivation this time around is the fact that I'm going to be 40 in June, and I don't want to begin my forties feeling and looking like I'm in my fifties. My thirties involved a lot of stress (divorce, money issues, etc.), a lot of partying, and a lot of yo-yo dieting/working out. As I have aged, I have achieved the wisdom to recognize that the type of lifestyle I have lived does not produce positive results and I need to incorporate a more structured, consistent, and healthier lifestyle that will allow me to hang around on this planet for as long as possible. With age truly does come wisdom.

Turning 40 is really pretty pivotal to me (perhaps it's fear????), but my intent is to be as healthy at 40 as I was when I was 28 (prior to my divorce). I currently weigh 189, and while I'm not really okay with that number, I'm slowing coming to terms with the fact that the scale onlly produces a number and that measurements in terms of inches and the size of my clothing really illustrates the 'real picture' of what is going on with my body. My waist is 35 inches, my hips are 45 inches, and I wear a size 12. By the beginning of June, I want my waist to be 6 inches smaller, my hips to be 6 inches smaller, and to be able to wear a size 8 comfortably. Aside from that, I don't really care what the scale says. When I was in the best shape of my life, I wore a size 4 and weighed 147, so I know using the scale as my only barometer is truly detrimental to my success. I also know that my body type is very muscular in nature, and even though I would be diagnosed as 'clinically obese,' I really don't look like I'm 11 pounds away from the 200 pound mark.

So, my goals are lofty and I have three months to attain them, but I'm geared up and ready to go! I've been really paying attention to my diet for the past few weeks by logging every single morsel that enters my mouth, and I'm truly amazed at how quickly calories add up, particularly with processed foods, and as a result, I've virtually eliminated anything that needs to be unwrapped and/or come out of a bag of any sort. Lots of vegetables and fruits have become the norm for me, which is good because I really hadn't cared for fruits in the past, and I'm learning how to like them. I have also been working out regularly for the past few weeks - 2 days of intense cardio on the elliptical and 3 days of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones (which is absolutely brutal), and 2 days of rest, where I do give myself some leeway in terms of diet...although I'm finding that I still pay attention even though I don't force myself to do so. All in all, I've been at it for about 14 days, and I've made a commitment to make this a 'lifestyle' as opposed to a 'diet.'

My problem is that I get all geared up and psyched about this kind of stuff, and then I flake out after a couple months or so, usually due to boredom or lack of motivation. That is why I'm here. I want to share with others my successes and my challenges, I want to lean on others for moral support and motivation, and I want to be an inspiration to others and let everyone know that turning 40 isn't the end of the world...and it can actually be the beginning of a really good, solid life.

That is my story! Wish me luck! :)

Hello. Your story sounds like you are talking about me, although I am 45. But my starting weight on Dec. 28, 2012, was 188.8, and my inches were pretty identical to yours. I too do not "look" like I weigh that much (or so I am always told). I also try to not dwell on the number on the scale, but more the inches (there are weeks when I loose inches but no weight). I have been trying to get weight off since about 1996 or 1997, so I have been a professional yo-yoer losing and gaining the same 20 lbs for the past few years. I am tired of it. I feel this time is different. I am really focusing in on why I am an emotional eater, and what types of events/situations causes it (everything, really)! :sad: I have been allowing myself (more like "making" myself) to feel the emotion and to work through it. I have cried over the fact that I did not give in to an urge to splurge - felt so good to have control!! I enjoy Jackie Warner's book "This Is Why You're Fat". I know the title sounds harsh, but it has some great advice. She also has a book out called "10 Pounds in 10 Days". It gives advice on what foods to eat that have fat burning power. I should mention that I bought this particular book last year and followed the eating plan for about one to two weeks, having lost about 8 pounds. Now that I am thinking about it again, I may go back to it for a couple of weeks to get me out of the plateau I hit. After looking back through my weight loss journal that I have kept for the past 10 or so years, I am finding that, for example, in 2010, I weighed 175 and my hips were about 45"; however, when I hit 175 lbs this past week, my hips were 43.8. To me, the difference in my hips measurements is the fact that I am eating more fat burning foods than I was when I was trying to loose weight in 2010. There is a lot of information to be found on this site, too, as you read posts from other MFPs. There is great support from most of the people that are in the communities. Another thing I did was tell my husband and my children that if they see me eating (or going to eat) something that is not healthy for me, that they are to ask me "do you really need that?" As an emotional eater, this is something hat makes me step back into reality, and then I can make the choice as to continue eating it or to put it down. You can friend me, and we can support each other. One other tip that I am enjoying, is that I created a spreadsheet that provides me with all sorts of information in regards to my weight loss. For example, I am tracking the percentage of weight that I loose. I also have a graph that charts my daily weigh ins (I know many professionals state to not weigh daily, but it is something that I have to do for me); and I have a graph that shows me my weekly (official) weigh ins. It is so rewarding to see the lines going down (even though there are some weeks that it has gone up - which then I tell myself "that is life" because I still want to have "free" weekends or nights ever-so-often, knowing that I will gain a few pounds as part of the "deal". Since inches are more important to me, this weekend I am going to create a chart to track that. I hope you can use some of my input. I wish you great success in your journey.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good choices, consistancy and will power and you will be rewarded!