60 days and only 5 lbs!!!???

Options
Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I think I've been eating well, and recording honestly. My TDEE is 1881 so I've reduced my calories by 20%.

I have assumed light activity, but I'm wondering if this is wrong? Here's my exercise routine each week.

3 days a week I do cardio for 40 minutes (about 400 cal burned) and then 30 minutes of weight training.
1 day a week I ride my bike around the city, maybe for about 30-40 minutes, and then do 30 minutes of weight training.

should I be assuming moderate activity for my TDEE?

Thoughts, suggestions, anything? I'm trying to lose at LEAST 5 more lbs by August, but at this rate I'm not sure I'll make it! I'd love to lose 10lbs by August.

Replies

• babymariss33
    babymariss33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public? How many calories are you getting a day? Maybe, since it looks like you dont have a LOT of weight to lose, you should kick up the exercise to moderate. It is a very slow process, I know. And sometimes there is no explanation for why our bodies just wont let go of that weight! If you open your diary for people to read we may be able to get a better idea :)
  • itsgottago
    itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That must be so frustrating! I'm not sure what level of exercise you should consider it. Things to look at are

Are you drinking enough water?
    Maybe you need to shake up your exercise routine.
    Could you add a little more protein a little less on carbs.
    Keep the carbs more simple than complex.
    Reduce overall calories.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be but at least the scale is moving in the right direction although slowly.
  • TomjsAj
    TomjsAj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am about your age and that happened to me and I personally decided to cut some of the dairy and lowered my carbs to 100 or under and started to lose weight faster. I also don't EAT back my fitness calories or at least I don't pay attention to that part as my calories for the day. MFP had me at 1500 and after I lost 10 lbs changed it to 1200 last Saturday and I have lost a few lbs. Not sure if that would work for another but it has for me so far.
  • jrsnyder95
    jrsnyder95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    how do i make my diary public?
  • jrsnyder95
    jrsnyder95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    actually my diary is set to public! let me know if you can't see it. if i change my activity to moderate then i would be eating more calories a day, wouldn't i?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    5 days of an hour + of exercise... ya that isn't lightly active...
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    From the home page there is a Setting link at the top right of the screen. Click on then, then on Diary Settings, and scroll down to the last chunk and select public.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements at the beginning? I've been logging about as long as you have and the same thing is happening to me. I've only lost about five pounds. Thankfully though I took my measurements at the beginning of all this and have gotten better results from that, so maybe that's the case with you? Also switching up your workout for a couple of weeks couldn't hurt either!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose 5lbs isn't that bad, you're losing about a .5 lb a week.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    I'm new at all this, so I hope if i'm wrong someone with more knowledge will correct me...

An 1880 TDEE seems a bit low, no? Also, if you're only eating 1300 a day after you exercise, you may not be eating enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    OP...it is variable, but generally speaking TDEE - 20% is anywhere from 1/2 - 1 Lb weight loss per week. Considering that, you are right on schedule. You are doing well and losing weight in a healthy and safe manner considering you only have 17 Lbs total to lose. You're doing it right...you just have to wrap your brain around the fact that weight loss, particularly when you don't have much to lose is, and should be slow.

I'm in the same boat with about 15 Lbs to go and losing about 1/2 Lb per week...just keep the chin up and keep pluggin' away...

sw8035sw753.gif
  • jeannettej48
    Options
    Someone once told me to eat a large breakfast a lite lunch and snack at dinner. In other words switch how you eat for a week or two to jump start a loss. it's worth a try, Good Luck! I don't lose fast so I try anything to help.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say to start tracking your measurements. I use the Roadmap calculations, and even though I've lost less than 5 lbs the past month, I've reduced 2.25" off my waist, 1" off my hips, and .5" from each thigh. That's more important to me than anything that lying bish of a scale could ever tell me. :)

I recommend checking out heybale's spreadsheet in the In Place of a Roadmap forum, which not only makes it easier to track your proper activity level and then spits out the calories you should be eating, but it also includes a handy tab to track your measurements.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    By the way, the TDEE - 20% calculation is intended to produce FAT loss, which is not necessarily going to be reflected as corresponding weight loss on the scale. You've got to learn to divorce yourself from that number. It doesn't tell the entire story.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    It is frustrating because we all want to lose weight as fast as possible. But maybe you lost cm or gained muscles or just lose at this speed.
    Don´t focus on that because you lost! That is a great accomplishment, the weight is moving in the right direction.

I know how you feel, I lost 1 kg in the last 5 weeks. I really wished it was more. But it was 1 kg, better than nothing. BUT I gained 3%musclemass. I focus on that success rather than let the number bring me down.

Good luck and don´t give up.