Should I race this weekend?

Options
My training plan gives me the option of either 6 miles OR a 5k race this weekend, and I'm having a hard time deciding.

I've been following Jeff Galloway's training plan (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html) to prepare for my first 10k next month--before starting this program, my running was pretty erratic, and my longest runs were about 4 miles.

Last week I ran 6 miles for the first time; next week I will go 7. My main goal for the 10k is to run the whole thing, and I'm shooting for 1:12 finishing time.

I haven't raced since Thanksgiving and in my heart I would rather do the 5k this weekend.

However, I wonder if the 6 mile run would be more beneficial to me at this point in my training.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you've already done 6, and will do 7, then I think racing is fine. Plus, its what you actually want to do.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You can already run a 10k... unless I am misunderstanding and you walked part of that 6 mile run. Sounds like you are already ready, other than increasing your pace. RACE!
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A lot of training plans don't even have you run the full distance until race day, so you are already in great shape distance-wise for your 10k. I say do the 5k race! It will be a great way to change things up during your training. I am running a 10k in April. Good luck!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I would do the race, eventhough it's shorter than what you would do normally, it'll get your mind back in that "race" mode, which is good training too!
  • Menelaus35
    Options
    I would race and see if you can get a PR. Push yourself.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'd say do what you really want to do. If you want to do the 5k, do that. If you still feel good afterwards, you could always do another couple of miles. I've done that before when a race I wanted to do didn't match up with my training plan.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input and reassurance! Now I have to pick which race :bigsmile:
  • changingstephanie
    changingstephanie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Race!!
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Continue being awesome and RACE!