App question. Is this an issue I need to be concerned with?

Options
I love this site and was going to install the android app. I was shocked at the access they require to use the app. When you go to down load the app, it requires you to accept a number of things. Two that stood out were -

HARDWARE CONTROLS - Allows application to take pictures and videos with camera. This allows the application at any time to collect images the camera is seeing.

READ CONTACT DATA -Allows application to read all contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.

sounds like I need to decide if I can live with this and whether those around me and in my address book can live with it also.

Replies

• lady_tracy
    Options
    Hey there! Just to let you know, I have this app installed on my smartphone, and my i-pod, and have had it for about three weeks. I've never had a problem up to this point. The app works quite well, and it's so convenient to be able to input my exercise progress right there at the gym. For me, it's been such a plus. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • archer_520
    archer_520 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is good to know.

Why would they need take pictures or access my personal data?
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For that first problem, that is mostly so you can bar code scan items into your diary. It is an awesome feature!

For the second, I think that is so the app can help you connect with contacts in your phone. Not entirely sure.

Overall I love the app and you should download it :) it is very handy!
  • MrsSamiP
    MrsSamiP Posts: 11
    Options
    I've had the app on my iPhone for ages and never had any problems with it. No personal data sharing ever asked for or taken and as for the picture thing, not only for bar codes but so you can add pics to your profile if you want.
  • archer_520
    archer_520 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I've down loaded it.