sad

Options
anikab
anikab Posts: 150 Member
you know, I started the weekend off very confident in my body changes and then I saw a video of myself today that my 2yr old took without knowing it and I am FAT. I nearly cried looking at myself....does the camera really add 10lbs because I truly looked horrible. cellulite in my ARMS and BUTT. I'm so down right now after seeing that....I really thought I was starting to notice a difference and clearly I was imagining it because looks to me like I'm still just as fat as I was nearly 2 months ago!

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    girl, i had the same moment last night. I was out with a couple friends and my gf snapped a picture of us. When i saw the picture I was horrified. I thought I was making progress but that picture made me look HUGE! Just try not to get discouraged. It seems like an impossible task right now, but just keep with it and you will get the results you want. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • psychicteabag
    psychicteabag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aw, don't be down, you're probably being over critical. I hate seeing photos of myself even now and I know I look so much better. Do you take your measurements? That's probably the best way of seeing progress for now. Keep doing what you're doing, you'll get there, I promise. x
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have felt the same way, don't worry! I think we have new goals and ideas of the healthy bodies we're striving for, so when you see yourself in a mirror or store window or your son's videos, it may not be what you want to see just yet, but it can be another push to keep up the good work! It's OK to have down days... good luck continuing the process :)
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I call it the "medium syndrome." I have a really healthy week, start to feel like I am looking good, then go shopping and I want to be a medium already. :smile: But, you know, I ate candy bars and racks of ribs for a hell of a lot longer than a week, so it's going to take some time to see a picture I really love (and fit in that medium). I hope you don't let it get you down. You are making good changes, losing weight, and getting healthier. Keep on this road and you are GOING to like how you look in those candid videos someday very soon.
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    I hear ya! It gets to be a downer to think how far we have come.......then the pics/vids make us feel well kinda down . But when you look back at those same pics in a month you will see what a change you have made and will look even better :)
  • gz960
    gz960 Posts: 7
    Options
    Keep your chin up! It's just as important to remember all the good things happening INSIDE our bodies while we are striving to be healthier. I bet you are starting to have more energy and are able to do things you may not have been able to do before you started. It's difficult when the amount of effort we put in doesn't seem to match our progress at times. All the hard work you are doing now will continue to pay off big especially when you're able to enjoy your little one for years and years to come.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Awww, don't be sad. I know just how you feel. I am really starting to feel good and stronger but when I see pics of myself I'm still far from where I want to be. But don't worry, we'll get there. We didn't gain it over night so it won't leave that soon either. Just be patient and learn to celebrate your successes! About the cellulite, most of us have it. I had it on my legs when I was thin and now that I'm bigger I have even more of it. I'm hoping that as I shrink it will go away too but even if it doesn't I don't think most people even care! Hope you feel better =)
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I know how you all feel! I weighed myself this morning and felt really good...down 25lbs in total so far. But then I looked in the mirror and I could barely see it.

That hits me so hard...the realization of just HOW BIG I really am. But I use it as motivation to keep to my eating plan and work on this for the last time! This is MY year! That's what I keep telling myself :)
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    Feeling your pain... I hate seeing pictures of me. It looks worse than when I look in the mirror. The camera really does distort our appearance. I live in So. Cal. and have seen many movie/TV stars in the flesh - they look so absolutely normal size on TV and they are very, very, stick-like in person (even the ones that have had children). We normal size people would look like elephants on camera.

My point is, it's not us. It's the camera.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    OK, note to self, don't get picture taken..... No seriously, I am my own worst critic when it comes to my picture getting taken, but I did take a shot of me at almost my largest and put it on my fridge and my profile. You know your losing weight and getting healthy, it is just a matter of time before the photo proves it even to your satisfaction. Don't get discouraged.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have always hated how I look in photos, except for that brief moment in time many years ago when I was a size six :tongue: I avoid cameras like the plague because of that, and it's really very sad for my family because they have so few pictures of me. My mom is always begging me for a photo and I just can't do it. I can't even stand to watch my stylist cut my hair because that fatty face staring back at me is just too awful. It's a terrible self-image problem that I have always had, and one of the things I'm working on along with my weight and wellness. I figure that a healthy self-esteem is just as important as a healthy body! :blushing:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    You know what? I just don't wanna hate how I look anymore. Back when I was way smaller than I am now, I thought I was huge/fat/ugly, whatever. I feel the same way now when I see full body shots of me, but I am trying to change my outlook. I want to be happy with myself no matter where I am in this lifestlyle change. I haven't figured it out yet, but I'll let ya know when I do. :flowerforyou:
    Meantime, just focus on your long term goal. Keep that vid, and at your halfway mark, take another and compare them! See how much difference between the two videos.
  • anikab
    Options
    thanks guys...it's just so hard when you're faced with something like a video of yourself. it's like ummm I thought I was doing good? I can't believe how bad it got me down!! I'm not weighing myself until friday and I haven't weighed myself since last thursday. if there's no progress I think I might be crushed so maybe I'll wait another week to weigh myself? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going through stuff like this. and what really got me was I had a friend the other day tell me 'I've been heavy all my life and you're complaining about a little belly weight?' it really made me angry! Those of us who have had children know exactly how it feels when you've just had a baby and are already 3-4 months pp and still heavy, it's discouraging and you feel horrible about yourself, I didn't understand why my friend couldn't just understand....
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    My profile picture was taken 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was SO unhappy with it that I just snapped and joined WW. I've been a MFP member for a few months but nothing held me accountable so I was back and forth with it. Hopefully WW works better for me to start and keep me motivated. Lost 6 so far even though my tickers says 1..... (Down 1 from when I started MFP, stopped MFP and gained 5+ pounds, now back to MFP starting weight -1 ughhhhh)

So don't think of it as bad, think of it as motivation. I told the girls at the barn to keep taking unflattering pictures and posting them on facebook as my motivation lol!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know your situation or hers, but to be honest, I really, really hate it when my normal/skinny friends complain about being overweight/fat/whatever they say. I would DIE to look like them, and they want to complain to me?! Sorry, no sympathy for them at all. If I looked like they do, or had EVER, in my life, looked like they do, I would be perfectly satisfied. Their complaints are silly because they DON'T have a weight problem! If they want to complain to their skinny friends how fat they think they are, that's fine, but not to the person who is twice their weight, thank you very much.

Maybe it is different because I have not had any children, and neither have my friends, but still. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • anikab
    Options
    Well, I don't know your situation or hers, but to be honest, I really, really hate it when my normal/skinny friends complain about being overweight/fat/whatever they say. I would DIE to look like them, and they want to complain to me?! Sorry, no sympathy for them at all. If I looked like they do, or had EVER, in my life, looked like they do, I would be perfectly satisfied. Their complaints are silly because they DON'T have a weight problem! If they want to complain to their skinny friends how fat they think they are, that's fine, but not to the person who is twice their weight, thank you very much.

Maybe it is different because I have not had any children, and neither have my friends, but still. That is one of my biggest pet peeves.

yeah this girl weighs less than me and is a work-out fiend. she thinks that is she just works out a billion times a day she can just eat whatever she wants and not have to change her eating habits.