Have I plateaued? Am I loosing inces??

Options
Im growing frustrated with my weight loss journey. I've lost 20 lbs since I have started and I haven't seen the scale move much these days... My husband says he sees a change but I don't see it. So I wonder am I loosing inches and not weight? Im 5'2, 27 years old, 158 lbs. I've been a vegetarian for a year now (and still eat protein). I stay true to my portion sizes. I don't drink pop or eat much sweets. What else can I do? I've been working out and I try to do cardio everyday. I'm dancing or on the treadmill, elliptical, or stairs at least 30 minutes to an hour. Help please!

Replies

• Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First thing, ignore the scale and get a tape measure. You probably are losing inches.

But also, how many calories are you eating a day? And are you watching your sodium intake? Drink lots of water!

Check out this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Best thing I did was follow this and I got over my plateau. I was just like you a month ago. Scale wasn't moving and I was getting frustrated. Try it and see....
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    sometimes when you hit a plateau you have to either increase exercise or include weight training. also if you're eating the same amount of calories everyday u may need to reduce it a little
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, how long have you plateaued, how much are you eating, what is your exercise routine?
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, get a tape measure! I didn't lose weight for a year but I got slimmer. Since September I have lost 4 inches from my waist and 4 inches from my hips!
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    use a tape measure: places to track measurements - mid-upper arms, chest, just below the chest, stomach, hips, mid-upper leg, mid-lower leg....some people do the neck and other areas too, but that's up to you. also, are your clothes fitting better - sometimes that's how I can tell, when the scale doesn't seem to reflect my efforts.
  • jamieeas
    jamieeas Posts: 21
    Options
    Throw away the scale, start lifting weights, and buy a tape measure. Seriously. Drink water like it's your job. Avoid processed grains whenever possible. Go for whole grains, and watch out for things with added sugar.

You probably have plateaued, and don't worry about that, it happens to everyone. However, as for losing inches but not weight, yes it's possible, but the ratio isn't going to be very high if you're doing all cardio. You're probably also losing lean muscle mass as well. (I know that response may not make a lot of people happy, but it's true.)

Read this or just do a google search on why cardio alone isn't enough.

http://kickashfitness.com/fitness/cardio-isnt-enough/

I've recently started lifting heavy, and I've dropped 3 inches in my waist, 2 from my thighs, and my arms look better. I've also dropped 10 lbs. In about 6 weeks. You may also need to UP your calories. I know, I know, it sounds totally counter-intuitive, but your body will shut down a bit if it doesn't think it's getting enough.
  • NaturallyLala
    NaturallyLala Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OK I just made my profile viewable (I think). Thank you so much everyone for the support and advice! Im eating 1500 calories a day. I was just looking at my history and I think I could cut down on my sodium intake for sure. Im doing strength training as well so I don't loose my muscle mass but the scale is still sitting :( The scale has been like this over a month. My clothes are fitting a little better but still not in a 9 (wearing 12's at the moment). I'm a member at Planet Fitness and they have this 30 min circuit training that targets the upper and lower body and I do that 3 times a week. On the off days I do Zumba core on my Wii and Im doing squats and abs daily.

Im on my way to the store to grab the tape measure. It's so frustrating because my husband can cough and loose weight lol. But i know men loose weight easier than women. Will up the water intake as well.
  • jamieeas
    jamieeas Posts: 21
    Options
    Awesome! In your OP, it didn't say anything about strength training. I get a tad worried when I see women doing nothing but cardio. The fact is, your body adjusts to it, and pretty soon, you're not burning the calories you think you are. That's why it's important to mix it up and do strength training. Kudos on getting a tape measure.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Definitely, keep measurements. Also, if you feel your workouts are getting extremely easy, you may need to ramp it up, change it up to get a more intense workout, maybe even try a new workout routine altogether, to get yourself challenged again.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating because my husband can cough and loose weight lol. But i know men loose weight easier than women.

Funny!!! My husband tells me how easy it "should" be, if I want to lose...he'll eat salads for like a week or two just for lunch (not change anything else) and lose
  • lgoewey36
    lgoewey36 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am also very frustrated. I started this journey almost three months ago. In the first 6-8 weeks I saw a ton of results. Then kept going because I needed to loose more weight. Now it seems like i weight more than before. I work out at least five times a week for an hour each day. I change between, cardio, weights, walking, yoga, pilates, pretty much I keep my routine at a nice mix. I drink water like there is no tomorrow all day long. I am always under my calories for the day. Not too much under. Do I have this right? What you take in you need to put back in?? If I eat less then my calorie outake it says I am going into starvation mode.. But I need to go into some kind of mode gaining weight and working my butt off is not the results I planned.. HELP!!!>
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This is not a plateau.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am 5'2 158lbs as well. My goal is about 130 but we'll see when I get there. ANyways I would say slow down on the cardio and lift some weights girlfriend! Also I eat 1700 calories per day.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    20 lbs since January is GOOD...how long has it been since you saw a loss? Sometimes in this process, you go through period of losing on the scale, and losing inches...both are good!

You should measure for sure, and keep track of that, but if your clothes are fitting more loosely, then yes...you've definitely lost inches.