anyone ever take provera?

Options
my doctor gave it to me- but im hesitant because of the side effects. has anyone ever taken it? if so, can you let me know your experiences here or via private message? thanks

Replies

• andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My cycles are normally irregular- I tend to be regular around important events (Ex: AF came during our Disney trip in October, on Thanksgiving while traveling in the car for 5 hours and out of town, and then again at Christmas) but totally irregular otherwise (ex: Haven't had AF since Christmas since nothing important is happening). I'm probably on CD 70 or something right now.

I have some spare provera b/c it never fails that AF will come the evening I get the prescription filled.

I honestly prefer Agestin (I think that's how it's spelled) because the side effects with Provera were worse. It's some of the worst menstrual cramps I've had, but that's probably more related to how long it is between my cycles instead of the meds.

Yay PCOS. *insert rolling eyes here*
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

I honestly prefer Agestin (I think that's how it's spelled) because the side effects with Provera were worse. It's some of the worst menstrual cramps I've had, but that's probably more related to how long it is between my cycles instead of the meds.

ugh thats what im afraid of! years of being on the pill has screwed up my cycle royally. im a month late, but was still debating seeing if it will come naturally. ive heard side effects of nausea, weight gain, cramping- UGH.

sorry about your PSOS :( i was told i likely dont have that- just a very erratic cycle. sigh
  • andrea464
    Options
    The cramping was probably my biggest complaint, and it was really only the first 1-3 days that I finally started bleeding. But it was ROUGH. I like to think I have a pretty high pain tolerance for that kind of stuff but I was ready to tap out.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When my cycles were irregular (PCO), my doctor gave me a script for provera with instructions to fill it if I hadn't had a period in 3 months. (Take a PG test first). I did take it a few times.
  • andrea464
    Options
    My cycles are normally irregular- I tend to be regular around important events (Ex: AF came during our Disney trip in October, on Thanksgiving while traveling in the car for 5 hours and out of town, and then again at Christmas) but totally irregular otherwise (ex: Haven't had AF since Christmas since nothing important is happening). I'm probably on CD 70 or something right now.

I have some spare provera b/c it never fails that AF will come the evening I get the prescription filled.

Scumbag uterus. Remember I said it only happens near important events? I'm supposed to go to Cape Hatteras this weekend for a two night stay with a bunch of moms and girl scouts. Guess who my uninvited guest will be???? UGH!
  • charlie00134
    charlie00134 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to get it and it would hurt more than normal but I figured it would just be because it was longer since (6 months or so) I'm on Norethisterone now but it's no different really.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Both times I got pregnant I was on birth control the first time I was on the depo shot (which is hella strong AND made me gain 40 lbs) and the second I was on Yaz. Since having my latest son, June 2012 I am not on birth control and hope to not have to use it again. I mean hell if I got pregnant when I was on it ... maybe I wont when i'm off it right? lol
    They also messed my periods up royally as well, they're still not regular.

P.S.
    Wrap it before you tap it, safe secks ppl nuff said!
  • andrea464
    Options
    Both times I got pregnant I was on birth control the first time I was on the depo shot (which is hella strong AND made me gain 40 lbs) and the second I was on Yaz. Since having my latest son, June 2012 I am not on birth control and hope to not have to use it again. I mean hell if I got pregnant when I was on it ... maybe I wont when i'm off it right? lol
    They also messed my periods up royally as well, they're still not regular.

P.S.
    Wrap it before you tap it, safe secks ppl nuff said!

It's not birth control. It induces a period for those of us with incredibly irregular cycles.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm slow >.< I took provera too .. just a couple months ago actually to help me get back on track. It made me cramp really bad, but it did make me start, I bled heavy for 4 or 5 days, then it went away. I haven't had a Period since then tho ... have to go back to the dr again on the 19th. Sorry for the bc statement ... got confused. My life story.
  • andrea464
    Options
    I'm slow >.< I took provera too .. just a couple months ago actually to help me get back on track. It made me cramp really bad, but it did make me start, I bled heavy for 4 or 5 days, then it went away. I haven't had a Period since then tho ... have to go back to the dr again on the 19th. Sorry for the bc statement ... got confused. My life story.
    LOL
    That's ok! I hate birth control. It gives me wicked headaches. I'm seriously considering getting my IUD put back in. There is still a tiny part of me that hopes I'll get pregnant, but seeing as how it's been six years with almost no birth control (few months of BCP's) and no baby to speak for, it's highly unlikely.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    on day 2 of 5 (my dr said taking 2 a day for 5 days is just as good as 1 a day for 10- so im taking 1 with bfast and 1 with dinner). so far so good- im tired, but that is likely from an insanely busy few days with <5 hrs of sleep each night, and not the provera!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I was on provera for 6 years, it stopped my cycle completely then I fell pregnant with my son and since having him I haven't gone back on it. It's meant to weaken your bones so they don't recommend taking it for longer than 5 years.