Question about yogurt...

Options
Hello all! First I'd like to start by saying I have NO knowledge about health and nutrition, and am very new to actually caring about what goes in my body, so please keep that in mind when commenting.

I started eating Greek yogurt on the recommendation of a friend and I have been hearing so much about how good it is for you. But when compared to regular light yogurt its got WAY more sugar & calories, is all the extra protein worth it? I'm not sure what I would base my decision on.

I guess it would help to know my info. I'm not so much on a diet as I am trying to change my unhealthy habits and taking responsibility for what goes into my body. Losing weight would be an added bonus but not the ultimate goal. I have no taste preference because I like both types of yogurt. Being overweight and having diabetes run in my family I really try to monitor my sugar intake as a precaution, though I haven't had any issues (thus far). This is really my main concern. If any of you know of low sugar yogurts to try I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Replies

• AnnaLaura82
    AnnaLaura82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hmmm i'd like to know if its worth it too because they say its so good for you and your digestion.

For low sugar your best to have natural yoghurt and just add a little bit of honey or fruit if you need to sweeten up (i have honey, seeds, nuts, lsa mix for breakfast - yum & super filling!)

we make our own yoghurt at home using culture, 2 1/2 c full fat milk powder and water. i have NO idea how many calories are in it but i'm sure its high!! have tried with low fat milk powder and the yogurt just turns out way too runny :(
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Give plain greek yogurt a try. I adore Fage Total 0%. Top it with fresh fruit and you are set!
    1 cup has 130 cal, 0 fat, 9g carbs & 9g sugar...plus a healthy 23g of protein!
  • supermel_69
    Options
    Fage 0% is what I've been eating, but the one that includes the fruit. It's worth a shot to try fresh fruit though, since it seems a little better sugar wise. Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I eat Fage too, and I add a tbsp of honey. I prefer the creaminess and heavier consistency of greek yogurt over regular.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Milk contains Lactose. It is the "sugar" that is in milk, that is all.

Don't buy yogurt with fruit in it, the fruit is actually like preserves, it is fruit with added sugar.

Buy plain, lowfat or regular Greek yogurt, and use less of it. The difference is that a lot of the moisture has been taken out, so it's more of a "concentrated" or thicker form of yogurt.

I just buy plain lowfat, whatever's-on-sale yogurt. I use it in place of salad dressing, sour cream, and if I want something sweet, I add a tablespoon of my favorite preserves. The benefit is in the calcium, potatssium, and probiotics. If you are logging your food in a food journal, it doesn't really matter which you use - it then is just more about texture.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I buy my yogurt based on taste.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You want plain yogurt. Everything with fruit is a sugar trap because what they use is closer to jelly than fresh fruit IMO. I like greek yogurt better because it keeps me fuller longer. Oh and from what I can see, greek yogurt actually has less sugar than plain regular yogurt (9g vs 17g for the Trader Joe's yogurts, which I love). I usually add some fruit myself though.

I have to add - I've made wonderful chicken salads and sauces with greek yogurt!
  • kats3boys
    kats3boys Posts: 61
    Options
    Source makes a 0% 8gm protein 50 calorie greek yogurt that tastes good.
  • mnqi
    mnqi Posts: 36
    Options
    I love the plain greek yogurt with sugar free jelly....
  • lnsy613
    lnsy613 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm am no expert but I switched to Greek yogurt on the recommendation of my personal trainer. She advised that I look at lables and sugar content - the processed sugars in regular yogurt (and some brands of greek), despite the low calories, will sit right on my problem area: my extra tire around my gut!
  • supermel_69
    Options
    Oh man I feel like a dumba$$, you are all right I was looking into plain yogurt nutrition facts and it's the added fruit that kills the sugar. lol like I said I have no knowledge about this stuff, thank you guys so much!!! I will be making adjustments immediately :)