TDEE less 20%/ burnt calories??

Options
Sorry am still new to all this and am learning. When you calculate your tdee surely your exercise calories are already taken into account, therefore you shouldn't eat them back. As you would be eating more than your meant to? Yet I keep seeing you should eat them back. I am clearly not understanding this?? Help?

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you're going by TDEE then yes, your exercise is already figured in and you shouldn't eat your exercise calories back.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Simple answer if you are following MFP you are suppose to eat your exercise calories back.
    If you are using the TDEE -?% then you should not be eating them back. TDEE includes exercise.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oops thanks guys !! I'm confusing the 2 !! I shouldn't be eating mine lol!! New day tomorrow :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sorry am still new to all this and am learning. When you calculate your tdee surely your exercise calories are already taken into account, therefore you shouldn't eat them back. As you would be eating more than your meant to? Yet I keep seeing you should eat them back. I am clearly not understanding this?? Help?

It depends on how you calculate TDEE. If you've already factored your activity level in, then that's your total TDEE. If you, like me, calculated your TDEE based on being sedentary, then you need to add exercise calories back in to get your true TDEE for the day.

"True" TDEE for a day is BMR + the calories you burn moving your body. This is approximately equal to BMR * 1.2 + exercise. BMR * 1.2 is sedentary TDEE, then you add in exercise to get true daily TDEE.