Signed up to track calories for 5:2 Fast Diet

Options
Just signed up on Monday to track calories for the 5:2 Fast Diet. Trying to lose 15 lbs but after the first 3 weeks, I lost 0. Now I'm trying the Fast Diet and looking for an even faster workout.

Replies

• boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Me too, I did 5:2 then more 4:3 and it's working, this site is great for calorie counting, good luck mate!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat every day....
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    *wave*

I'm on week 4 of a 5:2 dieting (though some weeks I'm doing 4:3) and finding it great.

If you're doing it I wouldn't advise going by the calories that MFP gives you for the feed days however as that calorie total is already a deficit and with 5:2/4:3 you are getting your deficit from fast days and eating to your maintenance level on the other days.

I'd suggest reading the roadmap thread below that gives information on how to find out your TDEE; which is your maintenace level of calories, taking into account your activity level. So, for instance, I do 2 or 3 days a week on 500 calories a day and the rest of the week I eat to my TDEE which is 2110.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

I'm by no means an expert. I've lost 11lbs in 3 weeks (got my 4th week weigh-in tomorrow) and my diary is open if you want to see how others are managing.

Best of luck with it!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about 5:2, but I will say that you have to have patience for things to work. I see from your profile that a MacBook Air is on the line, so I understand why you're looking for quick results, but do it right.

The only advice I'll throw out there is to pick something and stick with it.
  • EmAnCiNaS
    EmAnCiNaS Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    let me know how it works for you, I have heard abouth the 5:2 diet, but unsure if it gives results. good luck!
  • jchwhiskey
    jchwhiskey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info MsPudding. I read the link and taken it in. When I decided to try 5:2, I was thinking of just fasting the 2 days then eat normally like I do for the other 5 days (this means typically MORE than my TDEE.) Just for clarification, I do eat 600-700 calories for the 2 fasting days.

With that said, after 2 consecutive days of fasting, on the 3rd day, I could not eat half of the lunch I bought and I was full. I had a regular dinner but I wasn't snacking all night (like I usually do.) Not sure if it's psychological, or the hassle of logging the calories or the fast shrunk my stomach/appetite.

Like most people, I don't have the time to workout hours a week so I'm looking for something that would work with minimal time (but NOT necessarily effort.) I've been looking into the Tabata workout - anyone tried it?

I'll provide an update of my weight on Monday - a week after I started 5:2 and signing up on MFP.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    With that said, after 2 consecutive days of fasting

It probably doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things, but most people don't do their fasts on consecutive days.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Most people don't fast on 2 consecutive days, not for any adverse health reasons, but purely because that takes a fair old dollop of will-power. If it works for you though, go for it!
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is that they are NON consecutive days. Dr Mosely is insistent about that.

I do Mons and Thurs and it's going really, really well.
    Tough at first, but you very quickly get used to it.
    A female takes in 500 cals and a male 600 cals on the fasting days. He says you can eat 'normally' on the non-fast days, but I still keep to MFP plan. I've lost 3.5 kg since the end of Jan :smile:

Since hitting early middle-age and peri menopausal, the weight has crept up and up and this 5:2 diet is the only thing that has worked in about two years!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    OP, it doesn't matter if you do 5:2 or not, if you're not at a proper caloric deficit.. you're not gonna lose weight. IF is fine, but the folks that choose to do that are actively ensuring that their intake is at a deficit.

Starting a new way of eating isn't necessarily going to make you start losing instantly, versus not. Especially if you're looking at 5:2 as an easy way out. "Well, I can eat whatever for 5 days, and 500-600 calories on the fast days, and I'll lose!"
    Doesn't work that way.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Good luck anyway!
  • BetteDavisEyes
    BetteDavisEyes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been doing alot of reading about the 5:2 Fast Diet. My husband and I are going to try it, starting today. I'll keep logging onto this message board for helpful hints. Thanks everyone for your bits of advice and words of encouragement. Wish me luck!!
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Ok so all the 5:2 is is eating your allotted calories for 5 days and then 500-600 for 2 days?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Ok so all the 5:2 is is eating your allotted calories for 5 days and then 500-600 for 2 days?
    It's not eating any less food than if you were eating regularly for 7 days. you eat the same amount, still at a proper caloric deficit, you just basically pick two days where you eat 500 or 600 calories. You still eat those other calories from the fasting days on other days.

It isn't a miracle diet if even done correctly, not even really a "diet." Just changing WHEN you eat, not the amount.

..and far too many people look at it as a "if I starve myself for two days, I can eat whatever I want for the other five.. then I'll lose weight" miracle.
  • surreygirl23
    Options
    This was covered on the BBC science series Horizon last year. The doctor concerned (Michael Mosley) researched it thoroughly and had a full medical (including body scans) before, during and after. The most impressive thing was the drop in INTERNAL fat, around his organs. He didn't LOOK fat before.
    I decided to do it because of the compelling evidence that it helps prevent cancer, diabetes and dementia.

500 calories is 1/4 of the recommended calorie intake for a man, and 600 for a woman.
    The vast majority of people find that on the non-fast days, you won't want to over-eat, so the binge/fast thing just doesn't happen. Also, because you only cut your calories for one day (that's why it's important that they're NON-consecutive) your body doesn't kick into the 'starvation' mode.

Try reading thefastdiet.co.uk to see how he did it.
  • surreygirl23
    Options
    sorry, just read what I wrote - 500=woman, 600=man. :noway:
  • jchwhiskey
    jchwhiskey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Checking in after the first weight-in and since I introduced myself a week ago. I lost 4 lbs after one week on the 5:2 Fast Diet. My initial reason to try 5:2 was that I lost 0 lb after 3 weeks of eating less & exercising. I admit I didn't go in depth on the research and yes, I thought I was going to pork out like I normally do on the other 5 days. I signed up on MFP to track the calories for only the 2 fasting days.

Here's what happened so far (the last 2 are subjective):
    - after tracking calories on the 2 fasting days, I've continued to track it everyday
    - since tracking my meals on MFP, I realized it doesn't take much food to make up a lot of calories
    - I did pork out last Friday and Saturday (mmmmmmmm, I like my food!) BUT I'm pretty sure I was full with less food
    - stomach may have contracted and it's taking less food to be statisfied and full

I think most diets work if they are followed in technical detail. 5:2 seems to work faster at the beginning (not necessarily better) to give (almost) instant satisfaction and much needed motivation. MFP (credit must be be given to this site) shows that diets can be flexible. I may pork out today but I just need to be good tomorrow or the next day - as long as I'm within the calories for the week.