First day on TDEE counting and FULL

Options
Ok, so i was one of those people that only ate maybe 1200 calories a day thinking it would help me lose a lot of weight. but it always just left me more hungry so i would eat later at night (and we all know the things we ate late at night are NOT salads). so it always affected me. so today i am eating my TDEE -20% and it ends up at over 1600 calories... i cannot finish! i have like 80 calories left and i'm STUFFED. for those of you who are counting this way does this feeling go away? cuz i feel like i could explode. i even added some ground flaxseed into my oatmeal hoping it would give me more calories. but my gosh i'm so full...i hope this works better tho

Replies

• switch313
    switch313 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was going to post a topic about this the other day. I just upped my calories by about 500 more than what I'm used to when I'm watching what I eat and I felt really bloated and full the first few days but it has since subsided mostly... one day i was a few hundred short of of my goal but I chalk it up to adjustments :P
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I decided to do it this way. I started at 1200 not because I thought I would lose weight fast but because it was what MFP suggested. So I ate at 1200 for a few weeks and then calculated my TDEE-20% and its 1683. I knew better than to try to eat that right away so week 1 I added 100 calories per day to get to 1300. This is the end of my second week and I'm eating 1400. Next week 1500. Week after 1600. Lets my body adjust gradually which is smarter for me because I have digestive issues. Today tho I happened to net 1495 without much hard work by adding a tablespoon of mayo. who knew lol!
  • nicolo333
    nicolo333 Posts: 44
    Options
    Ok I prolly should've done that. I'm doing better today. I drank more coke to add calories lol I decided to give myself hours to eat. At each of these times I need to eat a certain amount of calories. Cuz I also have digestion issues and I hate eating a lot of high calorie things at one time. So it's better to space it out.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Being 80 calories under your goal isn't going to cause any problem.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Its easy to feel full on 1600 calories if you are making wise choices =)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue. Even on 2000 a day, I don't always feel full, depending on my activity for the day. And that is with healthy foods like baked chicken or salmon, vegetables, sweet potato, apple. Cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, flax, hemp, oatmeal, dark chocolate, beans, avocado, nuts and seeds. In fact, the latter are an easy way to rack up some nutritious calories with relative ease.

It has been a long time since I restricted myself to under 1600 so I guess I am used to eating enough.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1,800 or more a day. I gradually went from 1,200 to 1,400 to 1,550 to 1,700 and now am at 1,850.

I eat smaller meals most of the time to help myself get what I need but never feel bloated or super full. I don't drink pop, or eat sweets to get in my calories because afterwards I feel awful, and overly stuffed. If you're not hungry, then don't force yourself to, or make yourself feel uncomfortable.
  • nicolo333
    Options
    ok so i've been trying this still and i feel AWFUL maybe its the things i'm eating? idk i just cant seem to get my calories in without eating a lot of crackers and bread. I don't want to drink a lot of calories cuz i feel bad afterwards. i like to drink mostly water. i was eating some ground flaxseed in my oatmeal to add calories. maybe that did it? idk but i feel bloated.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    sudden increase in fiber=bloat. give your body some time. I never thought I would need to eat all my calories, but today I blew through 1800 and when it was time for dinner I was STARVING!!!!!! I also had a pretty intense strength training session so...
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just recalculated my intake to align it with TDEE and I'm building up to hitting the 1600 mark... it makes it so much harder too when you're working out. I'm really trying not to go out and gorge on a slab of cake but I really don't see any other way about it! Haha. I shouldn't complain though, really...
  • nicolo333
    Options
    I know. I feel like im gaining weight. Is this normal?
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's common to feel bloated when you first up your calories. If you feel really uncomfortable, you can try upping them by 100-200 / week until you hit your target. That's what I did for 3 weeks, then did a TDEE reset and I didn't gain or lose during my reset. I only felt icky the first week or so after coming off a VLCD, and I think the gradual increases helped with that.
    Healthy fats add calories without adding too much bulk, and they are less likely to make me bloat than lots of carbs. Smaller meals work better than couple 500-700 kcal meals.
    Try adding a little bit of extra fat to each meal. For example, for breakfast you can cook an egg in some olive oil or add peanut butter to your oatmeal, for lunch you can add avocado slices or 1/2 oz of real parm cheese, and for dinner you can easily sneak in one more teaspoon of oil or a square of dark chocolate. This will up your calories by about 150-300, and it will add a lot of flavor without adding bulk.