Kettlebell

Options
Can anyone recommend a DVD on the proper use of kettle weights? I hear they are a great workout.

I went to buy some yesterday and realized I have no clue what size to get.

I don't want to get a back injury.

Right now I use 15-20 in regular weights and have been using them daily for about six weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Please?
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I took a class with an RKC instructor, and my instructor suggested avoiding Jillian Michael's kbell technique. I actually like Jillian Michaels, but she does not know how to use kettlebells properly- she overextends and does not control the motion. Look up Neghar Fonooni on youtube- she demonstrates how to do all of the basic moves.
    As far as weights go- I started swings and ladders with an 8kg/17 lb kettlebell, but moved on to 10 kg (22lbs) and 12 kg within a week or so. At that point I was still new to weight training. Are you planning to use them for HIIT cardio, or a combination of weight training and cardio? If you mostly plan to do swings, high rep squats and lunges, a set in the 15-25lb range would be a good start- you can start with a single kbell, then move on to double-sided swings after couple weeks. Just be aware that you might outgrow them quickly.
  • avababy05
    Options
    Thank you.I'll take a look at these!
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A free one is livefitrevolution.org - She is a RKC instructor and she breaks down every evercise she does and tells what not to do
  • avababy05
    Options
    Thank you. I would have used these the same way as regular weights and the sales clerk said it was a completely different workout.

I picked up the 10 pound weights and thought they seemed light.

I'm glad I didn't just jump to 20-25 without knowing how to use them.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Getting multiple sizes is a good idea. I use 20 lbs for anything two-handed (ie. kettlebell swings), 15lbs. for anything one-handed (ie. squat and press), and 10 lbs. for anything insane (like Turkish get-ups). I do have a 25lb. kettlebell which I haven't progressed to yet.
  • aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Getting multiple sizes is a good idea. I use 20 lbs for anything two-handed (ie. kettlebell swings), 15lbs. for anything one-handed (ie. squat and press), and 10 lbs. for anything insane (like Turkish get-ups). I do have a 25lb. kettlebell which I haven't progressed to yet.

Those Turkish Get Ups are murder!
  • Fairy_Sooz
    Options
    Just remember its all in the hips (pelvic thrusts) and bend those knees hopefully then you'll refrain from hurting your back!
  • avababy05
    Options

That does sound scary! but burpees did too and now I can do a WHOLE four!

Thanks for all the advice.I'm excited to get started.
  • bastokes88
    Options
    I have found a lot of helpful youtube references. This one addresses some of the most common mistakes in kettlebell swing form. I have found using the jump to mimic the explosive hip motion is helpful before I do my swings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q68QfoQyf6Q

These same guys do a great breakdown of Turkish Get-Ups as well. They suggest starting by using a shoe instead of a weight that you balance on top of your closed fist (so you aren't actually holding it). It's tricky but it really requires that your elbow is locked out and your shoulder is in the right place at all times. Hope this helps!
  • blaqpepa
    blaqpepa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump - for later
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper's 'Kettlebell Sculptured Body' Workout.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Harper-Kettle-Bell-Sculpted/dp/B00977PNKY/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1368635948&sr=1-2&keywords=bob+harper

Been doing it for 4 weeks and I am also a beginner, it works you hard without being too hard that you can't do it.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    best is Pavel from dragon door
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Neghar Fonooni
    Marianne Kane
    Keira Newton
    Lauren Brooks

No Jillian Michaels. No Bob Harper.
  • Slpst46
    Slpst46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump - for review later
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    The Firm Kettlebell workout - about $20 or less http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyObAiTxS1Y

but I like it because she's pretty diligent about form thru the whole workout- it's not about sweating or hurting yourself- it's about FORM
    of course, I'm just a doodler, not a fitness buff. This is a good starter program IMO
  • buggz68Jen
    buggz68Jen Posts: 4
    Options
    I would like to start doing kettlebell workouts, however, I am not sure which DVD I should by, since there are a lot of different ones. Does anyone have a recommendation for me? Thank you.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Yep. I know I would drop it on my head, so better a 10 pound than a 20 pound.