equal or sugar?

Options
IDCY843
IDCY843 Posts: 78 Member
This topic has probably been done to death but I have missed it. I have been having equal in my coffee for years but I dont like the fact that it is all chemical.....surley one teaspoon of raw suger in my coffee has to be better? I only have two to three (if that) coffees a day. What doyou think?

Replies

• runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tried Equal, Splenda, and Stevia in the Raw. I found all of them to be very chemical tasting, and stevia was very bitter. I had gone back to white sugar and recently discovered that brown sugar is FANTASTIC in coffee. So that's my sweetener of choice. A teaspoon of brown goes a lot farther than white, IMHO.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I use stevia or maple syrup. Maple syrup makes it feel holiday-ish which I love and it's all natural.
  • IDCY843
    Options
    Brown sugar huh? thats a good idea. Would be a lot sweater than raw sugar so only a small amount would be needed. Thanks, I will try it. I also found stevia to be too bitter.
  • IDCY843
    Options
    another good idea. maple syrup, will try that one too. thanks :smile:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'll take a 15 calorie teaspoon of real sugar over the fake stuff any day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I drink my morning coffee with 2tsp real sugar and 1TBSP whole milk. I figure that eating good the rest of the day isn't gonna be messed up by doing it "real" in my coffee. In fact, I'm going back to "real" everything - butter, milk, cheese - no more low/no fat, sugar free foods for me. I'm eating good within my calorie limits, exercising regularly and minding my macros, so I don't have to cut corners with artificial food.

Edit - I used measuring spoons for my sugar and milk. A level teaspoon and a level tablespoon.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Honey is natural, tasty, and sweeter than sugar.

That said, I use 1tsp regular sugar and cinnamon in mine.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I'll take a 15 calorie teaspoon of real sugar over the fake stuff any day.

and I'd prefer no/lower calorie and giving my body small amounts of something that it's more than capable of metabolising than giving it what would amount to me around 30-50g extra of sugar/day.

I prefer splenda fwiw.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Real sugar, no question.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'd just use sugar if you're only having 2-3 teaspoons a day. It's not enough calories to really matter.

Be careful, though! When you log it, a teaspoon is a flat, level, teaspoonful.
    I don't know about your culture, but here a "sugar" in a drink is a whopping heaped teaspoon.
    I weighed it one day, and it's around 12g - that's THREE teaspoons.

That freaked me out cos I take two "teaspoons" in my tea, and can easily drink 4-5 of those a day. That's a huge amount of empty calories and also, the dental aspect.

I switched to Splenda tabs (hate equal & stevia).
  • IDCY843
    Options
    I drink my morning coffee with 2tsp real sugar and 1TBSP whole milk. I figure that eating good the rest of the day isn't gonna be messed up by doing it "real" in my coffee. In fact, I'm going back to "real" everything - butter, milk, cheese - no more low/no fat, sugar free foods for me. I'm eating good within my calorie limits, exercising regularly and minding my macros, so I don't have to cut corners with artificial food.

Yeah, I am hearing you there. I really think that sometimes sticking to "low fat", "low sugar" foods is a load of rubbish. Moderation is the key. I am going to go back to real sugar. I have recently ditched the low fat Margerine......turned out it was actually higher in fat than the one I used to eat......go figure lol
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'd just use sugar if you're only having 2-3 teaspoons a day. It's not enough calories to really matter.

Be careful, though! When you log it, a teaspoon is a flat, level, teaspoonful.
    I don't know about your culture, but here a "sugar" in a drink is a whopping heaped teaspoon.
    I weighed it one day, and it's around 12g - that's THREE teaspoons.

That freaked me out cos I take two "teaspoons" in my tea, and can easily drink 4-5 of those a day. That's a huge amount of empty calories and also, the dental aspect.

I switched to Splenda tabs (hate equal & stevia).

Not to mention the insulin load to those who are sensitive. I personally prefer Stevia