Pushing a wheelchair?

Options
I work as a patient transport in a hospital and was curious how to record this into exercise? They have jogging while pushing a wheelchair but not walking. I'm debating just doing walking instead or just doing a less amount of time then what I actually work and record it under the jogging while pushing a wheelchair. I'm not sure which would be ore accurate though.

Replies

• lovebrittnie
    Options
    I don't think it is jogging while pushing a whwwl chair, i think it is an either or kind of thing
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I would not list it, sorry, unless you might want to wear a pedometer (spelling) I have one on my ipod, tells steps and calories burned.
  • Claudina
    Claudina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but you got me curious so I Googled. At first nothing, then I saw this site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned. You can put in your information & pick from a list of activities which includes pushing a wheelchair (then you put in for how many mins/day). If you can understand the results perhaps this will help you (to me it doesn't clearly say how much is burned specifically by that activity, but calculates that plus lifestyle activity. I'm thinking if you put your info in with and then without the wheelchair option, it may give a clue?). If not, sorry.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Another option is upping your everyday activities, I don't know how you have them set but if you include a bit more then it should cover it. If it's work related I myself would most likely not add it in as extra but use my daily activity level instead.

Know what I mean? :flowerforyou:

Becca

Jogging with a wheelchair is new to me, can't imagine that as an excercise, I mean it would BE but it's amazing the things listed on excercise lists on various sites. Wonder who's jogging with a wheelchair?:laugh: I'm simply laughing at the mind picture, sorry:blushing:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would say that the increase in calories burned aside from regular walking would be negligible (SP?) ....the wheels on the wheelchair do most of the work, try wearing a heart rate monitor and see if it gets your hear rate up beyond normal walking.
  • Claudina
    Claudina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    True, that is funny. The mental pic. lol I just realized... what about the person in the chair? I wouldn't want to be pushed fast, unless for fun and all. I can just picture me propelling out of the chair... ok, sorry too. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    True, that is funny. The mental pic. lol I just realized... what about the person in the chair? I wouldn't want to be pushed fast, unless for fun and all. I can just picture me propelling out of the chair... ok, sorry too. :)
    LOLOL Maybe there's nobody IN the chair when the person is jogging with the chair? It's gonna be a mystery until we know who added the workout.:laugh: :laugh: We'll probably never know:glasses: :laugh:

Come to think of it, I think I saw it in a movie and they were even doing wheelies, looked like they were having loads of fun, but it WAS a movie:tongue::wink:
  • lcheney89
    lcheney89 Posts: 10
    Options
    Lol I never thought about that. I decided to just up my level of calories burned from daily activity. Basically increased my BMR. Thanks for the advice!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Lol I never thought about that. I decided to just up my level of calories burned from daily activity. Basically increased my BMR. Thanks for the advice!
    Sounds like a plan! :)