Wanting to lose inches...

I'm on day 15 of the 30 day shred and have noticed that I'm getting stronger and my body is changing, but I haven't really lost any inches. (Maybe 1 inch total) I've read posts on here people saying that you can gain muscle and do cardio at the same time. So I guess my question is, if I want to drop inches and size (like drop a jean size), should I be focusing on cardio and then when I've lost that size pick up 30 day shred again? I really really like the 30DS but I'm just not sure I'm getting the results everyone else is on here. I'm wondering if it's because other people are doing cardio in addition to it. Between working and my son I just don't have time to go to the gym and then do a video at home most days. I could only do that maybe twice a week, so I feel like I have to choose a bit. I know the 30DS has cardio in it, I'm just not sure it's enough to burn fat off.

Replies

• What is your diet like?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    30DS is cardio. The weights aren't heavy enough to be "heavy lifting" or build muscle. And, as a general rule, one does not build muscle eating at a deficit, which I'm assuming you are. If you are not eating at a caloric deficit, therein lies your problem. If you are, give it time. Also, 30DS is not going to build muscle, it's not enough resistance, generally speaking.
  • I don't count calories. I find the whole concept a little overwhelming to be honest. I think my diet definitely needs improvement, but I would say it's not that bad. I stopped buying soda, and only have a small amount every few days. I used to practically only drink soda. I also have been trying to snack on vegetables and not eat any sweets. I am still breastfeeding my son a few times a day, so my calorie intake can be a little higher, but I'm not sure what I'm taking in right now. I guess my point is I've made improvements in my dieting by not eating as much and eating better then I was for the past month. I've also started working out regularly. But in this past month I've probably gained 3 pounds. It's weird.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Cardio is not necessarily the answer. I do very minimal cardio and I've lost 11 inches and dropped 4 pants sizes in the past 5 months...through diet and heavy weight training.

I have done 30DS in the past, and it uses pretty light weights as I recall...which won't really lose the inches.
    Perhaps get some different weight-training DVD's and a couple of heavier dumbbells?

The other option would be diet and patience. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    After reading your second post, it's no wonder. You have no idea how many calories you're eating so you don't know if you're burning more than eat. Obviously it's not working since you're gaining weight.

But congrats on making better diet choices. It's a start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    30Ds is cardio....

Also, those 3 Lbs are likely attributable to water retention since starting 30Ds
  • I agree my diet is probably the next thing I need to work on, but I don't think I'm eating more calories then I was before I started all of this about a month ago. By cutting back my soda intake to what I have I'm probably saving on the low end, 500 calories a day. If you include the other diet changes I've made (eating more veggies and salads, cutting out 95% of sweets) and add in the 30DS I just don't see how I could be eating more then I was. I wasn't gaining weight before, I was maintaining.

So if 30DS is cardio, then should I add in heavy lifting and do both or just focus on one? I only probably have about 10-12 pounds to lose although I am more concerned about losing size (about one size overall would be ideal).