Quinoa recipes?

Options
I bought some quinoa a while ago and made one dish with it, but it was not a success, and the quinoa has been sitting in my cupboard ever since.

So I was wondering, anyone here have some good quinoa recipe ideas? Preferable something I can use to make 2 servings. I often am only cooking for myself, in which case I try to make 2 serves and then eat the second serve for lunch the next day.

I really feel like I need to give quinoa another go. Especially since I already bought it.

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am interested in getting some recipes, too. Sweet or savory, doesn't matter.

I tried quinoa for the first time yesterday. I didn't know what to do with it (I should have found a recipe BEFORE I bought it, huh?). I just added 2 Tbsp of peanut butter and sliced up a banana. It was ok, but I know that quinoa is a good base. I was full for a while!
  • dfarina33
    dfarina33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is a restaurant in downtown Chicago called Protein Bar that does all kinds of quinoa foods that are great. I eat there almost everyday during the week and then do some of the things at home.

My favorite is just to take the quinoa, mix in some agave and some almond milk. Stir it up and then add fruit. I usually use bananas. 1 cup keeps me full past lunch.

Also if you are making spaghetti sauce for your family with pasta. Just ditch the pasta and use the spaghetti sauce with the quinoa. I do the same with Chili.

A year ago, never even heard of quinoa, now I eat it 5x per week if not more.
  • Coraljayne
    Coraljayne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa to replace traditional rice in pudding. To lighten it further use Egg Beaters in stead of whole eggs and reduced fat evaporated milk for cream or whole milk, as per recipe. Just prepare the quinoa and sub into your favorite rice pudding recipe! So good
  • EddieDoodle
    EddieDoodle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this recipe is for more than two but it's pretty good for leftovers. I've never tried it but maybe the leftovers can be frozen.

SPICY QUINOA WITH BLACK BEANS

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    ½ onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
    1 ½ cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with broth. Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Stir black beans and cilantro into quinoa and serve warm.
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    I love quinoa just straight up like rice (rince it several times!) but if you are felling more adventurous....You can make quinoa "fried rice" by cooking it accoring to the package and then sauteeing in come oil with egg, veggies, and soy sauce. Or try using it instead of oats to bind things like black bean burgers, meat loaf, crab cakes, etc. I also like to replace parts of some baked goods (muffins, brownies, pancakes, and quick breads) with an equal amount of pulsed cooked quinoa. It makes them heartier and healthier
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I made it for the first time last week. I made it like spanish rice and it was great! Here's a link to the recipe I used:
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Spanish_style-Quinoa-Allrecipes
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this recipe is for more than two but it's pretty good for leftovers. I've never tried it but maybe the leftovers can be frozen.

SPICY QUINOA WITH BLACK BEANS

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    ½ onion, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
    1 ½ cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with broth. Stir in cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Stir black beans and cilantro into quinoa and serve warm.

I might give this a try.

I am also wanting to reduce the amount of meat I eat, so this could be a great vegetarian alternative to eat some days.

Thanks.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I use quinoa to replace traditional rice in pudding. To lighten it further use Egg Beaters in stead of whole eggs and reduced fat evaporated milk for cream or whole milk, as per recipe. Just prepare the quinoa and sub into your favorite rice pudding recipe! So good

Mmm.... sounds yummy
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact recipe, but we made quinoa/ground beef (could use turkey or whatever)/ground sausage stuffed bell peppers. It was delicious and added a great texture and flavor to them. I think hubby used a black bean quinoa mix and it was pretty spicy but oh so good!
  • sabiwabi9
    sabiwabi9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've replaced my pasta with quinoa. I've made so many yummy dishes by just experimenting. This week I made some plain quinoa and added alfredo sauce, crushed red peppers, and seafood. Also quinoa with turkey meat and pasta sauce.
    I'm sorry I don't have a recipe to give you but it's been fun playing around and experimenting.
    I don't know if you use pinterest but I always come across a lot of quinoa recipes.
    Good luck to you!
  • heidijomitchell
    heidijomitchell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Google "Chef Brad BYUtv.org" and you can get a lot of quinoa recipes and ideas. plus, many other grains that are packed with protein and great nutrition. He once suggested eating as a breakfast cereal with a small amount of half and half and fresh berries. I loved that.

Great recipes for Amaranth, Spelt, Red Quinoa Black Quinoa, etc.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    I've replace my pasta with quinoa. I've made so many yummy dishes by just experimenting. This week I made some plain quinoa and added alfredo sauce, crushed red peppers, and seafood. Also quinoa with turkey meat and pasta sauce.
    I'm sorry I don't have a recipe to give you but it's been fun playing around and experimenting.
    I don't know if you use pinterest but I always come across a lot of quinoa recipes.
    Good luck to you!

I do love experimental cooking, but I think I need to get the basic idea of how quinoa works by following some recipes before I start experimenting with quinoa.

Otherwise I predict a lot of disasters. :P
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    then sauteeing in come oil

:noway:
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try ......Weeknight Chicken Quinoa Stew.......It's on the Milk Calendar (April)....Google it.......it's delicious. It is supposed to make 4 servings but it's easily for 6 so I would definitely half the recipe...I substituted the milk for almond milk and the flour for cornstarch because of my sensitivities to milk & wheat. I will be making this again & again. It is in the database for the nutritional info. If you can't find it with Google I will gladly type it out for you.....Tata.........P.S. Try Milkcalendar.ca
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1 cup quinoa + 1 can coconut milk + cinnamon + a dash brown sugar. Cook according to package. Great breakfast if you're sick of oatmeal! You could mix it up with a variety of add-ins.
  • Dewymorning
    Options
    then sauteeing in come oil

:noway:

income oil?

in cu....

No, I can't say that one.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I personally love it with just some buffalo sauce or siracha mixed in. I will also mix it with cooked veggies and sauce too.

If my husband is having it too I tend to mix it half quinoa and half rice with the liquids being half water and half vegetable brother. Makes a great base for stir frys or to stuff peppers with. TONS of recipes online!
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also eat it in lieu of pasta, delicious!

It is tasty if you sub low sodium chicken broth for the water when cooking it, then add some dried herbs.
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    Hmmm I love Quinoa. You can add anything to it and it's wonderful. I have been eating it for 3-months now. Whatever you like just add it, and it will be yummy for your tummy!!!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! :)