Why am I a size 16?

Options
I am 38, female, 5' 6". Waist 28.5cm and Hips 37.5cm and weight 10st 10lb. So how am I a size 16 when the size guides I have looked at say at most I should be a 12. What is wrong with me?

Replies

• LinnaieOlson
    LinnaieOlson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before I decided what my size was, I went to the website of one of my favorite clothing stores (in this case NY Co) they have their size charts posted from tiny to tent-sized. There are petites and grands. Short and tall, so many things determine what size you are. Then I asked my personal coach what she thought--and was reminded that toning exercises will reduce waist sizes and tighten bust sizes. So...there is a few ideas "why." Insurance guides do not seem to reflect the real world, but the size of actual clothing seems to be more realistic. Hope that helps.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Because different people carry their weight differently. I can wear shirts that are the same size as people that weight much less than I do, but I tend to run larger in pants. I have larger hips and thighs, so I typically end up in pants that are a size higher and wear a belt because the smaller size will be too tight around my hips/thighs.

I've found people, both local friends and online, that I have very similar stats to and we wear totally different sizes.

Body composition is a big factor as well, in addition to just genetic body shape. If someone with your stats has a lower body fat percentage than you, then their clothing sizes will be smaller. You can have two people that weigh the same amount, but person A has 20% body fat and person B has 35% body fat. Person A may be many sizes smaller than person B simply because the have more lean muscle than person B.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Women's sizes are not standardized. I can wear a size 8 jean in some brands, and in others I'm a 12. On average, I'm a size 10. You can't look at the number because it means nothing at all!

Just buy the size that fits properly, don't worry about "ugh, I don't want to buy an 18!" or "I need Levis because then I'm a size 12!" You always look better in clothes that fit you properly, and no one sees the tag, so buy based on what it looks like, not the number!

020050b1-1c29-4e98-b9d9-e2b40c277ec4_zpse06bbfed.jpg
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am 38, female, 5' 6". Waist 28.5cm and Hips 37.5cm and weight 10st 10lb. So how am I a size 16 when the size guides I have looked at say at most I should be a 12. What is wrong with me?

When you say cm? you mean inches right? 28.5 cm waist is like 11.22 inches:noway:

With inaccurate units out of the way, people carry their weight differently. I'm assuming you are trying on pants. The waist and hip measurements don't account for the size of your things which plays a major role in pants. If you are talking about dress sizes, you completely omitted the top measurement of your body which could be why you are fitting into larger sizes
  • kellyjkaylor
    Options
    i am 35..weigh 175 and am 5'7" i was in a size 18 weighing 224 and i am now in a 12...not sure of my measurements cause i have never checked that....hmmmm
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    According to the Banana Republic measurement guide I am a size 10, I wear a size 14, but couldn't even fit into a size 16 at Banana Republic, though probably could now. Yeah, I don't get where they come up with these measurements.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I saw a photo on fb today that showed 5 different women at 150 lbs and the difference in heights and clothing size, it was pretty interesting. What everyone else above said. I actually went down a size at the store last night because the size I bought last time fit ok on the waist but the thighs were really baggy - I mean a LOT. Kinda weird so I went down a size and they are a big snug but they fit a lot better.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand of clothing and how you carry your weight, I would guess..
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Give an example of a store where you are a 16. Because they are all different
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Never mind, someone beat me to it.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have pants that are a size 2 to a size 8, and jeans ranging in waist stize 26-29 (and I feel like at least waist size should be measured the same all the time), I have jackets that are size small and jackets that are size 10, I have shirts child's Large to adult XL, shoes from 7-8.5, sizes are not the same in all brands, and often times not even consistent within a brand.
    But also, if it's saying you should be a size 12 if you like your clothes looser it might just be saying like this should fit you if it's your exact measurements, but people don't wear everything skin tight. I probably could buy a small in tshirts, but I usually buy at least a medium but a lot of times (for fashion tees, not like workout tees) buy a large cause I don't like skin tight ones.
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    your shape and height are probably a factor. sizes dont tend to take into account height and body shape.

As long as youre happy with yourself though who cares what the label in your top says!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Everyone is different, I am 5ft5 and similar stats (27 inch waist, 38inch hips at widest part round my bum) and I am about 9st 4 and a size 10.

Uk size 10!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

When you say cm? you mean inches right? 28.5 cm waist is like 11.22 inches:noway:

To the OP - I assume you are British? My measurements are slightly bigger and I am mainly a UK 12 (US 8). Do you have big boobs, or carry weight in your stomach? It also depends on the shop.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I wear pants from size 10 to size 4 depending on the cut, fabric and manufacturer. No one is looking at the albels to see what size I am wearing, they only know if the pants/shirts/dresses look good on me. Fit is more important than size. I often have to wear a size 12 dress or jacket because I am chesty and have a broad back. I have no hips so I can wear a size 4 pant if it is stretchy material. I don't really think much about it. I usually grab a size 6 and a size 8 pants and see which one fits better.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    There shouldn't be variances if you are going off measurements alone; make sure you are measuring properly. If the measurements are correct, perhaps you are just wearing your clothing looser than they were meant to be. My cousin wears a size 4 but she buys lots of things in a 6 because she prefers looser/ baggier fits.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I need this on my feed.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    vainty sizes now days or depends on brand my 90 pound 4 foot 6, 7 year old wears a med in hollister and abmercombie it depends on the compnay

on another note make sure your measuring right and there is not a thing wrong with being a 16 just throwing that out there
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Also don't worry so much about sizing. It can vary from store to store as well. Depending where you shop you can fit into different sizes. I would just track your progress and don't obsess so much about sizing.