Loss of appetite?

Options
Just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to them, or if it is just normal!!

So i started 'dieting' the day after Valentines day. I have been pretty consistent with my calories and have had few falls from what I have been eating.

I haven't been eating dairy, and have only been eating lean meats, limiting wheat products, and lots of vegetables with some fruits mixed in.

So, about 6 days into it (last Thursday, I think), I realized I am just never hungry anymore. I have literally lost all appetite. I haven't truly been hungry, and for the sake of wondering I waited to see how long into the day I would feel hunger and realized I didn't get hungry.

I did end up eating, but more for the fact that I didn't want to get sick from NOT eating.

So now I am just eating because I have too, but am curious if anyone else has had loss of appetite through dieting? I think its because I really haven't started to crave the types of food I am eating. I do not crave vegetables, salads, lean chicken, etc. But I have also lost the cravings for the fast food, and other things I used to eat quite frequently.

Thoughts ? Hope this makes sense, and hope I gave enough information.

Replies

• Tash128
    Tash128 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump,
    I'm having the same issue. I'm not sure if it's just me but I think maybe it's because I make better choices with food and I'm eating things that actually fill be up and that are good for me instead of high empty calorie items. BUt I could be wrong lol
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So weird, maybe soeone will give us some more insight. Glad to see someone out there feeling the same way, and that its not just me!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    This is VERY common for people on a VLC diet. If you are then you may need to work out what you should really be eating. VLC diets mess up hormones so your body doesn't really know when it's hungry or not.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above poster - but your diary is closed so I cannot tell for sure.

It is a BAD sign that your body is getting all messed up. If you are eating a VLCD, please eat more and soon!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    That has started happening to me, too. My net today is 1099 so I know I should go find something to get up to at least 1200. This is very unusual for me and it doesn't happen every day, but is happening more and more. I started mfp almost 2 months ago and have just started exercising consistently in the past few weeks. I'm also drinking more water. Guess I shouldn't complain about not feeling hungry, but it's really strange.
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Googling VLC

Googled - definitely not having too few calories.
  • jenn2mann
    jenn2mann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and it has been going on for 3 months, since before Thanksgiving. I joined MFP about 6 weeks ago, partly because I wanted to make sure I was getting enough calories to keep my metabolism OK, but few enough to lose weight which I sorely need to do. When I figured out what was going on, I went 20 hours before eating and I was still full. I'm having medical tests, but it looks like nothing is actually wrong. I have high cholesterol, so I had been attempting to eat more healthily. It has been much easier to make that change since I haven't been hungry. If I forget to eat, I get a headache and light-headed. But, sometimes it is evening and I can't consume more calories. Several people I have talked to said they go through periods like this. I never have, LOL. Perhaps that explains my body type. I am seeing a doctor and suggest you contact your doctor too if this goes on for a while.It could be nothing but you want to make sure it isn't something. BTW, I've lost 15 pounds since the "no hunger" started (+ five earlier last year), but only 8 since I joined MFP, about 1.25/week which is a good weight loss rate.

Edited to add: I try to get near 1200 calories, but don't always succeed. I am using MFP's ratios for carbs/fat/protein/cholesterol but lowering my cholesterol intake. I've been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, feta, and nutritious fats (walnuts, olive oil, and avocado).
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This is VERY common for people on a VLC diet. If you are then you may need to work out what you should really be eating. VLC diets mess up hormones so your body doesn't really know when it's hungry or not.

What is a VLC diet?
  • mockchoc
    Options
    VLC diet = very low calorie diet. Netting very low calories.

Try this link to see what you should be eating..

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • JskC1893
    Options
    I stay between 1000-1200 , closer to 1200. The reason between 1000-1200 rather than 1200+ is because of my height and is doctor approved / suggested. In the past 1200+ was too many for me and I didn't really see results.

I basically am only eating things from the 'outer grocery store'. Grilled chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms and broccoli are basically my lunch and dinner. In a hurry I eat cereal for breakfast and once a day I usually eat some type of bread.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I stay between 1000-1200 , closer to 1200. The reason between 1000-1200 rather than 1200+ is because of my height and is doctor approved / suggested. In the past 1200+ was too many for me and I didn't really see results.

I basically am only eating things from the 'outer grocery store'. Grilled chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms and broccoli are basically my lunch and dinner. In a hurry I eat cereal for breakfast and once a day I usually eat some type of bread.

Is that 1000-1200 plus you eat exercise calories? You do what your doc says but that is very low for most people unless eating back exercise calories.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE listen to the posts to look into increasing calories a.s.a.p.

I want to keep my post short so if you want more info private message me.

I am still fixing the damange I did from a VLCD for so long. This includes but is not limited to : plataued weight loss no matter what calorie intake, loss of energy, amenorhea (i think thats how you spell it, basically loss of a menstral cycle for 8 months and counting), inability to regulate body temperature, irregular bowel movents and the first thing was loss of appetite.

I am 5'5 28 years old, 167ish +/- 2 lbs 29% BF with a TDEE of roughly 3050. Now eating 2700+ from 1200 calorie diet.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Googling VLC

Googled - definitely not having too few calories.

How many in an average day?

EDIT: oh - I just saw your post. You are NOT eating enough to fuel your body. 1200 is too low to support normal organ function in most human beings. Eventually, you will plateau and then GAIN weight on a 1200 calorie diet. All bad signs...
  • JskC1893
    Options
    That was a great website -- thanks for the link!!
  • mockchoc
    Options

I am still fixing the damange I did from a VLCD for so long. This includes but is not limited to : plataued weight loss no matter what calorie intake, loss of energy, amenorhea (i think thats how you spell it, basically loss of a menstral cycle for 8 months and counting), inability to regulate body temperature, irregular bowel movents and the first thing was loss of appetite.

I am 5'5 28 years old, 167ish +/- 2 lbs 29% BF with a TDEE of roughly 3050. Now eating 2700+ from 1200 calorie diet.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I hope a lot of people read what happened so it doesn't happen to them.
  • oxyJ3N
    oxyJ3N Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have to take prescription medications that lead to loss of appetite, and I need help to maintain my weight and/or actually get proper nutrition.

5' 8" -- 21yrs -- 150lb. currently -- Hard to maintain more than 140lbs -- Hard to eat more than 1,000 calories daily.
    This may sound like a healthy weight, but for my build, less than 150 makes me appear gaunt & malnourished.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

For people who have developed visceral fat, and that's pretty much anyone who has more than a few #s to lose, the hormones have already been distorted: Visceral fat (that's the inside fat you don't see in the mirror) cells expand rather than multiply and behave as glands; it begins to produce hormones. Those hormones tell your body to eat more (hunger cues), the visceral fat continues to expand. See how that works?

So yes, it is a hormonal issue, but the VLC didn't cause it. Your body wasn't sending accurate hunger cues before you changed your diet, and now the visceral fat is no longer expanding, and therefore no longer sending hunger cues. As you continue to eat healthy and lose the excess fat, your hormones will come back into normal balance and normal hunger cues should follow.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

At 29% body fat, you should menstruating.

http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/Health_Center/adolhealth/content/b3menses.html
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree,it's probably your not eating enough.

Don't know if your working out but,On days I work out hard I don't feel like eating much at all.
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    Recently beating cancer myself, I have to say it was one of the early signs of cancer for me, feeling full, knowing I couldn't really be, after small meals.

You may know your reasons for feeling full already.

Just want to toss this other reason out there. Listen to your body. Pay attention. Seek medical intervention to rule things out, when necessary.