Replies

• Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    lol cooked 'em too long
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MFP has my set calorie goal about 90 calories below my BMR, so I always eat back at least half of my exercise calories (which I normally burn 200-600 a day)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eat them. Creating too large of a deficit will cause you to lose more muscle than you normally will while trying to lose weight.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Eat if you are hungry
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    I use the extra for the mistake that day - or my wine....usually do not eat all back...I use as my buffer....22 down and 16 to go!
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options

This made my day. You are my hero!
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i eat my calories back,always
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    On a calorie restricted diet yes eat them back.

Simply put.. If on average a woman needs a minimum of 1200 calories just to function normally/healthy and you burn 600 calories and do not eat them back then you are giving your body 600 calories a day total which is not even enough calories to keep your organs and brain functioning correctly. aka anorexia. You will have health problems down the road feel like azz and hit plateaus. When you do eat more calories you will gain back weight rather quickly. Its not a sustainable, stable, or healthy way to lose weight or diet.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I realize that the OP has long since deactivated her account, but to the new person asking this question, it depends. There isn't a set answer for everyone.

Do you know your actual TDEE?
    Online calculators can be quite off for some people. Your own history is the best way to get the most accurate number, outside medical testing

How large is your deficit set?
    Do you enter 1 or 2 pounds a week as your weight loss goal? If you chose 2 pounds, and that put your calorie goal below 1200, then MFP will raise it up to the minimum of 1200 cals per day. So you may think you are losing 2 lbs a week, but instead it may only be 1 pound or even less. In that case, exercise cals can be use to supplement your deficit.
    If you are indeed eating at a 1000 calorie deficit, then you probably need to eat back at least some of your calories to not create an unhealthy deficit.

How much extra fat do you have to lose?
    If you are considerably overweight, you can safely exercise moderately without eating back your calories. If you are close to goal weight, you need to be careful to not create too large of a deficit.

What type of exercise or you doing? Intensity? length of time?
    If you are an extreme exerciser, and are burning tons of calories every day, then yes, you will need to refuel your body and eat at least part of them back or else you will burn your body out. A moderate exercise, 3-4 days a week, will not make a huge difference in your calorie level, unless you are close to goal weight.

How are you figuring your exercise calories burned?
    If you are using the MFP database, your calories reported may be up to twice as many as you are actually burning. For athletic, fit people, the charts are more accurate, especially for men, but for a lot of overweight women, the numbers are way off. The same thing can be said for machines at the gym. So if you were to eat back all those calories, you could easily negate your calorie deficit and not lose weight, or even possibly gain.
    Using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, will give you a more accurate number, but even then, you may not be actually burning the total number stated. You will also need to subtract your TDEE from that number to get the 'net' calories burned.

I personally use my exercise to help supplement my deficit, and have found that over the past 6 months, the moderate exercise I do, doesn't make a big difference in the scale. So I eat healthy and at a deficit for weight loss, and do moderate exercise for fitness. I also eat the same number of calories every day, whether I exercise or not, altho if I happen to go over a few cals on workout days, I don't feel bad about it.

For others, they eat every calorie they burn and it works fine for them. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

ETA I started with 80 pounds to lose 6 months ago, and am over halfway to goal weight now. (38 pounds lost since Aug). I have yet to hit a plateau. I have kept my calories around the same level the whole time, (except for holidays). But again, I don't do crazy amounts of exercise. I am also very sedentary outside of my bike rides.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I hate the tasted of burned calories. Cajun style my *kitten*.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I hate the tasted of burned calories. Cajun style my *kitten*.

Blasphemy! :wink:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Eat if you are hungry

^^^
    This

I try not to eat my calories back because I think it defeats the purpose (IMO) if I do eat the calories back I try to only eat half & I eat something good like a boiled egg, fruit or something like that.
    Each to their own really.
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I actually read the title of this thread as "Should you eat your burned COOKIES":noway: . Boy big disappointment there.

On the subject of burned CALORIES I eat back some of mine. I always try to leave 200-300 at the end of the day to make up for any inaccuracies in calorie count or calories burned, has worked pretty good for me so far.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Reply to eating then less then 1000 calories a day.

Allot of people say the exact same thing as you, but I dont' know how true it really is.
    If you look at the lap band, Gastro - bypas and the HCG diets, they all say that if someobdy is truly obeses they should eat 500- 1000 calories. the reasoning is, carbs that are not used are turned into fat, and if your entire body is filled with stored energy, why would somebody, if they can live off of their fat.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes otherwise i am too hungry to sleep well.
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    I am just starting on this again and have decided to eat my cals back. My best friend lost 45 pounds eating her calories back. That's good enough for me. :bigsmile: I think it's more appealing too, because I can eat all day long and still lose weight. Just need to stay within my calorie goals. :happy: And if you notice, when you work out, it gives you more calories that you can eat for the day. Gotta love MFP! :wink:
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I agree VERY helpful. I am a newbie on MFP and wondered the same thing, so thanks for asking!
  • alitap
    alitap Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    eat it only if you want to maintain your weight, not if you want to lose weight.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    eat it only if you want to maintain your weight, not if you want to lose weight.

hahaha you so funny :flowerforyou: