Let's talk about macros

Options
Ok. I've been reading about TDEE and body fat percentage, and I love the idea that I can adjust my calories higher than MFP suggests, and stop worrying about the pesky, rebellious scale. This being said, I see a lot of posts/articles from the web about macros, which I understand to be carb/protein/fat, and I have heard that they could be set at 40/30/30 % respectively. Here's my first question - what SHOULD they be set at, and since no one may have a clear definitive answer, what factors go into deciding how I set those?
Here is my second question - what about the sugar???? I hit my glorious calorie goal (and let's say we figure out this macro business and I hit those with impeccability) but my sugar is off the charts. Now, I KNOW I don't eat "clean," and to be honest I don't have any desire to. That being said, should I factor in that kind of thing too when I'm trying to get fit? Are carbs/proteins/fats the be-all, end-all of weight loss? How about the fact that ONE ginger ale is pretty much a day's worth of sugar?? I want to give up diet sodas because they are just very very bad, but how will I get my fizzy fix?? And if you tell me diet ginger ale, how is that any better than diet coke?

If additional details could help in answering this question personally, applying to me, here are some facts:
I'm 23 years old, about 5'11", 155lbs, currently appx 26-29% body fat. I have a sedentary job but I would sayI'm lightly-moderately active; my metabolism is high; I eat about 1600cal/day, and have no qualms about eating back exercise calories. I do strength training about 4-5 days per week, cardio 1-3 days/week. I'm about a week into this switch from weight loss to body fat percentage focus.

I know different things work for different people; it is strewn across the forums of MFP and found endlessly on the Internet and in books. Eliminating food I love won't work for me because I don't want to be miserable while I'm healthy, I want to be healthy and happy!

I hope this all makes sense and that some of you have some experiential/educated advice!! If it is not clear, allow me to clear up any misunderstandings! :]

Replies

• christocentrist
    Options
    Bump
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    … what SHOULD they be set at, and since no one may have a clear definitive answer, what factors go into deciding how I set those?

As you said, there is no definitive answer. The human body is very flexible and can be healthy with very different macro distributions. The WHO RDI for protein for instance is around 0.7 grams per kilo of body mass. Athletes most likely have much higher requirements, specially bodybuilders. The number of 1 gram per pound of weight is repeated a lot in fitness sites, and there are people who are perfectly happy and healthy with even higher intakes. My point is there is ample room to set your macros at a level with which you feel comfortable.

Now, a macro distribution might be better for you depending on your specific goals and needs. An endurance runner would not go low carb in the week leading to a race. Someone looking to gain muscle mass will definitely want to have a high protein itake.
    Here is my second question - what about the sugar???? I hit my glorious calorie goal (and let's say we figure out this macro business and I hit those with impeccability) but my sugar is off the charts. Now, I KNOW I don't eat "clean," and to be honest I don't have any desire to. That being said, should I factor in that kind of thing too when I'm trying to get fit? How about the fact that ONE ginger ale is pretty much a day's worth of sugar??

Sugars themselves are not bad and they have their place in a healthy diet. Naturally occurring sugars will usually be found in nutrient rich foods, such as fruits. They will usually come with fiber, vitamins and other Good Things ™. The problem comes with added sugars. A ginger ale has a lot of sugar and it gives you no other nutrients. It is the perfect example of empty calories. If your sugar intake comes from natural sources and your diet is varied I see no reason to worry.
    I want to give up diet sodas because they are just very very bad,

I am not convinced that diet sodas are very very bad. I would not call them good and I believe they have not been proven completely safe. I do have them, but I try to limit how much I have of them
    but how will I get my fizzy fix??

You could try sparkling water with lemon or lime juice, or try drinking tea. Tea has definitely helped me in reducing the amount of diet soda I have. Not fizzy, but the taste makes up for it.
    And if you tell me diet ginger ale, how is that any better than diet coke?

I remember reading about studies that linked bone density loss to diet cola. It wasn’t about the artificial sweetener, but something else.
    Are carbs/proteins/fats the be-all, end-all of weight loss?

No, there are a lot of things that can influence weight loss, but in my opinion calories in vs calories out and macro distribution account for 95% of the equation and watching those two things will work for the vast majority of people.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    A girl has got to cheat with sweets every once in a while! Thanks for the information!

Pass the protein.
    Say under the carb.
    Let the fat fall.

Drink water!!

So eating clean doesn't necessarily mean only what comes immediately from the earth and directly off the pampered organic animals?