Why am I a size 16?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I was a size 16 because I ate too much and didn't move enough.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    you'd be dead with a 28.5 cm waist.

maybe you need someone else to measure you?

otherwise you need to shop somewhere else.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    there are american, british and medieval measurements happening all over this - i have no idea what is happening
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    To the OP, There is nothing wrong with you :wink: , but I have found that clothing sizes vary wildy. I have clothes across about four different sizes and they all fit. I even bought two identical pairs of jeans from the same shop where one fit and the other didn't (Marks and Spencer, so not 'cheap' clothes either).
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    My daughter said - forget the number - go with what looks and feels comfortable.....I have to go buy jeans this week....probably still a 14 in some, but hoping for a 12....but as long as they are not baggy, like I am wearing now....it is all good.
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Where you carry the weight has a great deal to do with size. Not to mention the fat to muscle ratio. For instance I am 5'5.5 & my cousin is 5'3 she weighs roughly 30lbs less than I do. However, we both wear a size 10 in most jeans & Medium shirts. It still blows my mind we are the same size but we have shopped together & share clothes so we both know we aren't lying about it.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    only you see the number on the tag. the world sees the fit. you will look smaller in the correct size. don't let the number get to you - with vanity sizing and realism sizing, no two stores are the same. just make sure the fit is right.
  • Cmredden
    Cmredden Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've learned the hard way that weight doesn't always correlate with sizes. I used to wear a 10 and thought I was huge then but now I've gained about 50 lbs and sometimes wear a 16 sometimes a 18 and even sometimes a 22. I would agree with some of the women on here it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you look good in it. That's always what I've said I don't really care what my weight is I just want to look good. I mean who goes around asking people what size they wear. It ll be ok girl. We all know you can do it.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As said, it's not unusual to have your size vary all over or not fit what it seems it should by measurements.

I went by the same measurements on a site recently and one item was too tight to even get on and the other one was hanging off me too big.

Body shape and just the slight variation that can occur at times in even automated production can make for weirdness.

Even if you have the right measurements according to a store's chart the articles of clothing might not fit right. I've shopped at Torrid and Lane Bryant (online and physical stores) for years and I just have to pray the pants fit me when I try new ones according to their size measurements... it can vary by 3 sizes.

As it is now, my clothing sizes run from 16-20 at different places.

Best thing you can do: stop fretting about the size number, it's basically never gonna make sense or be particularly reliable. Just order/buy from stores with a good return policy.
  • sasu27
    sasu27 Posts: 51
    Options
    I wear between a 16 and a 26- What I have learned is not to base my progress on the size of my jeans, because there is no universal size that manufacturers use. For that fact I own 3 pairs of the same pants, same size,brand and style and yet every one of them fits differently.
  • mforsis
    mforsis Posts: 41
    Options
    Lucky anyone who can buy size 16 in their own town. I can't. They don't sell size 16 where I live. The biggest size in the stores here is 12. I shop when I travel. What I find really curious is that there are lots of 000 - 4 sizes left on the rack. Someone gets a real deal at sale time. Sigh. It has been years since I bought clothes at a sale.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Lucky anyone who can buy size 16 in their own town. I can't. They don't sell size 16 where I live. The biggest size in the stores here is 12. I shop when I travel. What I find really curious is that there are lots of 000 - 4 sizes left on the rack. Someone gets a real deal at sale time. Sigh. It has been years since I bought clothes at a sale.

I'm just curious may I ask where you live. I've never lived in a city where all the stores only go up to size 12. Even stores in Beverly Hills although rarely you will find sizes larger than a 12.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ...you can wear righter pants, but I doubt that's what you're going for, hahah
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just buy the size that fits properly, don't worry about "ugh, I don't want to buy an 18!" or "I need Levis because then I'm a size 12!" You always look better in clothes that fit you properly, and no one sees the tag, so buy based on what it looks like, not the number!

Agreed!
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options

I'm just curious may I ask where you live. I've never lived in a city where all the stores only go up to size 12. Even stores in Beverly Hills although rarely you will find sizes larger than a 12.

I once walked into an Anne Taylor store and asked for a size 14 and the salesperson gave me a dirty look and said "We don`t carry those LARGE sizes here". Never been back, even now that I can fit into their size 10 or 8.
  • annanderson77985
    annanderson77985 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm completely baffled by women's clothing sizes.. I've read several threads where women my height have lost weight, and gone down to the 150 lb. range, and proudly (rightly so) proclaim that now they wear a size 8 or 6.. I've never worn smaller than a size 10 in my life, even when I was at my fittest when pushing troops in the Army, and size 10 was considered the 'perfect' size for a woman.. At 150, I was wearing a size 16 to 18...
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Another factor may be how much loose skin you have after loosing weight. I have enough on my thighs to keep me from ever wearing anything smaller than an 8 in most sizes!
  • morgennn
    morgennn Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 115lbs, which isn't a lot, I couldn't fit into anything smaller than a size 10 pair of jeans (UK sizing) because my hips are so big haha! At 176lbs I was wearing a 14 and now at 159lbs I'm still in a 14! Sizing is a strange thing, I try not think about the number on the label of my clothes now.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I once walked into an Anne Taylor store and asked for a size 14 and the salesperson gave me a dirty look and said "We don`t carry those LARGE sizes here". Never been back, even now that I can fit into their size 10 or 8.

Wow that's awful.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of jeans in a size 8. I have a 27" waist and 41" hips and weigh 166 (I'm 5'7''). Having said that I'm about 12+ lbs heavier than my "healthy" weight and I had a lot more lean muscle mass then (I used to lift 6+ times a week as opposed to my 3 times a week now). At one point I went into an Express store and bought a pair of size 12 pants that didn't fit me when I weighed 152/4 and had a 25" waist and 36(ish)" hips. I'm sure they still wouldn't.

For me it depends heavily on the shape of the pants and the brand. I'm sure that I would easily be a 14+ in some brands/ styles of fit and am an 8 in others. It's a strange world we women live in where size doesn't really mean anything.