IM ADDICTED TO SUNFLOWER SEEDS! Help!!

Options
I have a HUGE bag and I can't stop eating them! Does anyone else have this problem? Like, I seriously feel compelled to eat the entire bag.

Replies

• tatsqui
    tatsqui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep the seeds in your car and only eat them when driving! That's what I do, because they are super tasty and way to salty to eat all the time.
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love seeds and nuts... you just have to be strong... grab a handful and put them away!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE bag and I can't stop eating them! Does anyone else have this problem? Like, I seriously feel compelled to eat the entire bag.
    Oh gosh, been there done that!! Once I finish the bag, that's it for me for about a year. Course I don't eat salt that way anymore. I eat raw sunflower seeds on my salads and with tuna. Guess I'm not helping much? lol

I say toss out the bag, tons of sodium and if you feel you are out of control which is what sounds like it might be the only way to deal with it. Probably not the healthiest snack. Unsalted ones you can do loads of things with, salted? Hm, not so much but if you can portion them out like any nut then you'd be ok.

Just something about tossing them in the mouth and clickin em' open that makes it hard to stop, right? lol
    I'd have to toss the bag myself as I'd eat them all otherwise, like you shared to the end of the pkg.

Not sure if I helped any but wanted you to know you're not alone in the addiction, I'm just in recovery mode now:wink::tongue:
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with portions. I find if I take the big bag and divide them into several smaller baggies...then when I finish the little baggie, I'm done. That way your brains says...STOP!!!! Maybe putting them into smaller bags will help for you too!!!!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Have you got any friends with birds???? ;)
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Oh man!! I thought I was the only one. I loooooove Sunflower Seeds .. I am looking at the bag right now, and I want to eat it all. But I am controlling myself. I did buy the small portion bags, they come in a bucket .. like to take to baseball games. They are only about 120 calories for the bag, and it satisfies the craving.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Maybe try buying the mini bags of them, that way you can tell yourself you get ONE bag a day, lol. I find them super addicting too!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Maybe try buying the mini bags of them, that way you can tell yourself you get ONE bag a day, lol. I find them super addicting too!!
    Great idea!!:drinker:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    just think of it like i do....i refuse to waist calories on liquid drinks and the same goes with seeds...if i'm going to use my calories, i'm going to do it on something with substance...I had a huge addiction to sunflower seeds til i added them on my snacks and then it gave me a wake up call on what i will and will not waste my calories on....
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I too was very addicted to them...it got soo bad that my dad had to hide the bags from me, but thats been years ago and every now and then i'll get the craving for them :) I would suggest like many others have to purchase the smaller bags and only eat one bag a day...good luck!!

Manda B!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I divide almost all of my snack into mini bags... as soon as I get home from the store or as soon as I make it. Made my version of Chex Snack Mix last week... half a cup in each baggy. :smile:
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    my wife got weighty on them after giving up smoking --she would sit of an evening munching away and suddenly she realised she had put weight on-i just let her do it during woman's time now but otherwise i make nasty comments!--we have a 24 hour nut shop 30 yards from our front door and she can buy them by the kilo!--salted ones of course
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like that about something (ei.. the corn chips my bf left here from the weekend) I throw the whole thing out. And not just the bag in the trash, I make it so they completely gross me out, I'll dump the contents in the compost out back, take a stick and mix them in and then throw out the bag. It's the only way for me to stop.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have more of an affliction of homemade cookies with a cuppa--i like tea and just think it needs something sweet to go with it!

i used to be addicted to salted peanuts along with my beer- i gave up beer and the habit went--maybe you study what you are doing when you reach for these sunflower pips and break the habit by changing your routine
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Definitely try putting them in smaller bags or start buying ones that already come in individual bags.

SugarDiva has a pretty good idea too. If you just can't stop, throw them out. Spray windex (was that Kim Kardashian or somebody?) on them, so you absolutely can't eat them. :) Lol.
  • successrevenge
    successrevenge Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'm like a squirrel. I put a bunch in my cheek, crack, spit, chew. It's a nasty habit but the process is so addicting. raw ones, ones shelled aren't as good. I won't buy them. It's the process. Like smoking. It isn't the nicotine I want, it's the process of holding the cigarette between the fingers. But I haven't smoked in almost 30 years. It can be done!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bjberry wrote: »
    Have you got any friends with birds???? ;)

I'm not sure why but this made me laugh so much.

Anyhow I have never craved sunflower seeds but I really am now. Oh dear! I love the idea some said about dividing it up into smaller bags and make sure you log it plus eat less sodium the rest of the day or drink extra water.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,112 Member
    Options
    I use to buy the giant bags of them .... now I just buy the kernals and use them on my salads