Craving Salt

Options
Hello! I eat fairly clean and have been doing well not eating a lot of processed junk. I cook most things at home and rarely go out to eat so my salt intake is not normally to bad but I am having a very sudden craving for salt. This week I have wanted salt like considered shaking the salt shaker on my tong... this is not a normal craving. It is almost like my body is missing something and will just not give up until it gets it. I have made some homemade cheese sticks that I though might help with the craving but I still want salt. Any idea what I am missing that my body seems to want so bad?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If you are craving it so badly, just go ahead and eat it. At this point losing fat is your greatest health benefit. Your body is adjusting to your new lifestyle and if you're like most people, your old one was salt laden. Plus if you are working out regularly you are sweating a LOT of your body's salt out when you do and it needs to be replaced.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I've found some low calorie popcorn with a little bit of salt on it and that seems to help my cravings a lot. :)
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from Web MD...

"When people develop a salt craving that is new, increased, or persistent, it can be a sign of underactive adrenal glands (adrenal insufficiency). The adrenal glands secrete hormones that help regulate the balance of salt and water in the body.

Other symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include weakness, low blood pressure, fatigue, and weight loss. For a salt craving that’s new, increased, or persistent, see a doctor to make sure it’s not just a snack attack."

If you aren't feeling really tired or sluggish, then it could be your body's way of detoxing. Popcorn is a great snack that is satisfying and clean. Also, kale chips or seaweed chips. I love salty foods so I totally understand. :)
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Both sodium and cloride are needed by your body to maintain homeostasis or proper "neuro-electrical function"
    for lack of a better term. Generally speaking 1.5 to 2.0 grams daily is adequate.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you are doing low carb -- I'm doing low carb high fat (LCHF) -- you actually need more salt. And potassium and magnesium.

There is a Morton's Lite salt that is half salt/half potassium. I sprinkle that on my eggs and meats.

For snacks I love half dill pickles (crisp and salty) wrapped in cheese.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Well, it's only been a week. I've had the same extended urges with chocolate and whatnot, and it usually fades with time. Try to power through, and hopefully it will go away.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    people unnecessarily freak out over sodium - like someone else said just have some popcorn with some salt on it, will make you feel better.

I highly doubt you have addison's disease - but who knows
  • CandieVH
    CandieVH Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just hope it passes quickly, hopefully my body equalizes soon. The sweating part could be a factor I have been working out a lot...
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    You might just be dehydrated! Since sodium in our bodies carries water (Thats why sweat is salty) We often crave salt when we are dehydrated. Drink lotsa water!