• cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Beer is mostly water, so I count that.

Exactly.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    pure water is water. teas, coffee, crystal light is NOT water.

that's a ridiculous assertion.

all liquids count if you're talking about hydration. foods with liquid content count too. the diuretic effect of tea or coffee is miniscule unless you drink a lot of caffeine.

why is this not common sense? :frown:

Because of common misconceptions going around.

Basically we need to take in the equivalent of 8 cups of water each day, but out body is pretty good at getting that water out of fruit and vegetables.

I haven't really looked into coffee before because I don't drink coffee, I drink tea, but I don't see why my tea can't count, especially my green tea. It is literally just water with a few leaves thrown in it.

I wouldn't count coke or energy drinks as water though. Though I now count energy drinks as poison (I can't believe I used to drink them almost everyday. :O )

soda and energy drinks count too. they are mostly water. same with milk and pretty much every other liquid that can be ingested. soups, cooked rice, cooked pasta, etc. all have a lot of water as well.

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/water/beverages/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

all liquids count if you're talking about hydration. foods with liquid content count too. the diuretic effect of tea or coffee is miniscule unless you drink a lot of caffeine.

Basically we need to take in the equivalent of 8 cups of water each day, but out body is pretty good at getting that water out of fruit and vegetables.

I haven't really looked into coffee before because I don't drink coffee, I drink tea, but I don't see why my tea can't count, especially my green tea. It is literally just water with a few leaves thrown in it.

I wouldn't count coke or energy drinks as water though. Though I now count energy drinks as poison (I can't believe I used to drink them almost everyday. :O )

How do I log poison in my diary?
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

How do I log poison in my diary?

look up "Socrates cocktail, 4 ounces".

:wink:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

soda and energy drinks count too. they are mostly water. same with milk and pretty much every other liquid that can be ingested. soups, cooked rice, cooked pasta, etc. all have a lot of water as well.

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/water/beverages/

I mean that on the occasion that i drink some kind of soda, I don't count it as part of my water intake.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    The old "8 cups a day" rule is an outdated myth. The closest study I have read (from over 50 years ago...back when cigarettes were still good for you) indicated healthy people ingest 6-8 cups of water per day. That included water contained in foods. The majority of most foods is composed of water (heck, we are roughly 70% water). It did not mean you have to ingest 8 cups of water per day in addition to your food. Over the years this huge ingestion of water myth has somehow survived.

some references: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/28/excessive-drinking-water-dangers.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/drinking-8-glasses-of-wat_n_899276.html
  • msgingerc
    msgingerc Posts: 38
    Options
    Water counts as water, the end.

I drink 3-5 litres of water per day, depending on the duration and intensity of my workouts. I love it and couldn't live without it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

I drink 3-5 litres of water per day, depending on the duration and intensity of my workouts. I love it and couldn't live without it.

if every day you replaced those 3-5 liters per day of water with 3-5 liters per day of iced tea, do you believe you would die of dehydration?
  • r418tsc
    r418tsc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about crush ice? Do that count?
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What about crush ice? Do that count?

Don't be silly. Crushed ice is a solid, and as such should be logged as food, not as water.

Remember, ONLY water is water.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I only count beer.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    The old "8 cups a day" rule is an outdated myth. The closest study I have read (from over 50 years ago...back when cigarettes were still good for you) indicated healthy people ingest 6-8 cups of water per day. That included water contained in foods. The majority of most foods is composed of water (heck, we are roughly 70% water). It did not mean you have to ingest 8 cups of water per day in addition to your food. Over the years this huge ingestion of water myth has somehow survived.

some references: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/06/28/excessive-drinking-water-dangers.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/14/drinking-8-glasses-of-wat_n_899276.html

Absolutely agree. The 6-8 cups of water per day study was jumped on in the 1980s by companies wanting to sell bottled water as a way to encourage people to buy what they were selling. If you're trying to loose weight then water is great as it can stop you eating stuff by filling up your stomach but it has no magical properties so just make sure you're hydrated and you'll be fine.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    water
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    This question gets asked all the time. Water counts as water.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Water
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    WATER!!!!

Water is a chemical compound with the chemical formula H2O. A water molecule contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds.

Water
    Water is the most abundant compound on Earth's surface, covering about 70 percent of the planet. In nature, water exists in liquid, solid, and gaseous states. Wikipedia
    Density: 1,000.00 kg/m³
    Boiling point: 212°F (99.98°C)
    Molar mass: 18.0153 g/mol
    Formula: H2O
    Melting point: 32°F (0.0°C)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The 8 cups a day recommendation is bs, and I really which MFP would take it off. Your water needs depend on how much water is in the foods you're eating, how much exercise you're getting, ect.

As long as you're not going around feeling thirsty and your pee is light in color, it's all good :)
  • msgingerc
    msgingerc Posts: 38
    Options

if every day you replaced those 3-5 liters per day of water with 3-5 liters per day of iced tea, do you believe you would die of dehydration?

LOL, no. But if you're looking to achieve maximum benefits from the liquids you consume, water is the best. I'm 40yo and I look 10 years younger. Part of that is genetic, but mostly it has to do with the fact that I drink so much water every day.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Everyday with this topic...

3934yu85yu4.gif

rofl