Socialization and will power

Options
So, within my group of friends, food is a big part of the "hanging out" process. Its not as bad if its at somebodys house because I can always bring some fruit or salad or something. But I have such a hard time at restaurants! I go there with the intention of having a salad or baked chicken or something, and I end up eating cheese fries and half a dessert! I've gotten good at just ordering water or diet soda, its the food that gets me. I've tried eating before heading out and it doesn't help.

Not going isn't an option because then I would have even less time with my friends. I just don't know what I need to do or tell myself to do what I know I should.

Replies

• wyatt_sheeder
    wyatt_sheeder Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. I have tried to take some control in planning outings etc with my friends. It's a lot easier to stay in bounds when you all meet for coffee instead of dinner. Have you told your friends what you're up to? I find telling people about what you're doing can help them understand and even support you. Some of them probably want to eat better, too! Try a vegetarian or very healthy restaurant with good options. Another thing I might say is exercise more on the days you are going to a restaurant so you have a few extra calories to work with. Many places have online menus where you can check out everything and maybe plan what you will eat in advance. Good luck and let me know if this helps!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    If possible, find out where you're going to be eating. If they have a website, check the menu/nutrition to pick out your meal before you get there. Then, make sure you're first to order so you don't let someone else's choice influence you. You might even tell one of your friends your selection before you get there so you're held accountable.

Good luck!!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If possible, find out where you're going to be eating. If they have a website, check the menu/nutrition to pick out your meal before you get there. Then, make sure you're first to order so you don't let someone else's choice influence you. You might even tell one of your friends your selection before you get there so you're held accountable.

Good luck!!

That's what I try to do too! The one time I haven't was tonight, when I stopped by Sonic for a quick supper. But I only drank my water, and no side dish. Turns out, it wasn't as many calories as I thought it would be. But it's better if I check ahead of time.
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have some of the most supportive friends. Everyone is aware that I have 60lbs or so to lose and all are incredibly supportive. If we go out, there is no pressure for me to order or eat anything "off plan" for me. There are two of us in our social group who are trying to lose a significant amount of weight and what we eat is not an issue for anyone. My suggestion would be to tell your pals what you are up to. Maybe they will help you pick out healthier options, or eat the parts you cant. :O)

Good luck!!!