Starvation mode

Options
I have been reading quite a few articles about starvation mode and was wondering how long it takes your body to go into it? Im quite scared now because i have been going under the 1200 and today because i worked out its saying i havent ate any calories! Should i be eating back the calories i work off? Whats the point in working out if i eat them back? And can your bodys metabolism really go down after a day - week?

Replies

• akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump
  • DKNaylor
    DKNaylor Posts: 6
    Options
    You should put at the bery least 1200 cals in your diet everyday. If you work out and it says zero eat back some calories until you get to 1200.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    72 hours, you should eat your exercise calories back if you are following the MFP recommended intake. If you have figured out your TDEE-20%, that takes your exercise calories into account so you don't need to eat them back. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say TDEE, then you should eat your exercise calories back and just know that it works out the same as TDEE-20%...assuming you eat all the exercise calories.

Basically, you need a minimum of 1200 net calories. Calories eaten- exercise calories = net calories.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Doesn't exist.
  • nornas42
    nornas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It only takes a day or two for your body to go into starvation mode.

Think about it this way: 1200 calories is what your body needs to lay in a bed and sleep all day while you're in a coma. If you're up and walking around, you're burning more calories. If you exercise, your body has absolutely nothing to restore your energy from.

EAT! Eating less than 1200 will make you nutrition deprived, imbalanced, and definitely in starvation mode. Its dangerous. There's a reason that should be your absolute bare minimum intake even after exercise (and eating back those calories you burned so you'll have energy to do it again).
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It usually takes months but you should be eating more if you are working out. Most of the time the longer you are low cal the longer it takes to recover once you destroyed your metabolism.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have been reading quite a few articles about starvation mode and was wondering how long it takes your body to go into it? Im quite scared now because i have been going under the 1200 and today because i worked out its saying i havent ate any calories! Should i be eating back the calories i work off? Whats the point in working out if i eat them back? And can your bodys metabolism really go down after a day - week?

The food lobby is powerful. Their memes have a way of catching on.

You'll be okay. The species would've died off long ago if we were that fragile.

It's pretty obvious you know what your numbers need to be.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options

the point of eating them back is because this website already calculates a deficit of calories for you. WITHOUT exercise. So that 1200 is what you can eat, not doing any exercise, and still lose that 2lbs per day. Now if you exercise, you are supposed to eat those calories back to get back on the plan MFP has. If you don't eat them back, you aren't giving your body enough fuel. Especially if at the end of the day its saying you haven't ate any calories... thats a bad idea.. You should at LEAST eat your BMR calories (this is what your body burns in a day just doing vital body functions.. heart beating, breathing etc...) starvation mode is widely debated on this site... what it comes down to, if you arent giving your body enough calories, it will start holding on the calories it does receive as fat, and wont burn any fat because it knows its going to need it for survival.
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options

The food lobby is powerful. Their memes have a way of catching on.

You'll be okay. The species would've died off long ago if we were that fragile.

It's pretty obvious you know what your numbers need to be.

you realize that mal nutritioned countries have shorter lifespans right? We won't just "die" off as a species obviously, but there's plenty of research showing that a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle (ex: no smoking) increases longevity. I don't know about you but I'd rather give my body the right amount of fuel and be healthy so I can live as long as possible.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Takes a few weeks for starvation mode to really set in, but body composition issues can arise earlier depending on how severe the deficit is
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Actual "starvation mode" happens only at very low BF% with few calories consumed. It is an overused term. That said, consistently netting below your BMR for long periods of time, particularly if you're not obese will ultimately stall your metabolism as you body shuts down "non-essential" functions in order to conserve energy for essential functions like breathing and heart beat, etc. Essentially, your "diet" now becomes your new maintenance level of calories as your metabolism stalls.

Are you going to fall over an die? No, probably not. But you can cause yourself a whole host of issues that make weight loss seem like a walk in the park. Your body is also going to consume a lot of muscle instead of fat for energy...always awesome! Ironically, this is often the head of the path towards an eating disorder.

A lot depends on how much you have to lose. The obese/morbidly obese can eat below their BMR for a substantial amount of time before displaying any ill effects because they have considerable fat reserves. Someone with very little to lose will stall almost immediately because there just aren't the fat stores to support the deficit.

If anything...and you're doing the 1,200 calorie plan, you should most definitely be eating exercise calories back. Netting consistently below 1,200 calories per day can be dangerous. 1,200 calories is already about 800 - 1,000 calories per day deficit from your maintenance.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Actual "starvation mode" happens only at very low BF% with few calories consumed. It is an overused term. That said, consistently netting below your BMR for long periods of time, particularly if you're not obese will ultimately stall your metabolism as you body shuts down "non-essential" functions in order to conserve energy for essential functions like breathing and heart beat, etc. Essentially, your "diet" now becomes your new maintenance level of calories as your metabolism stalls.

Are you going to fall over an die? No, probably not. But you can cause yourself a whole host of issues that make weight loss seem like a walk in the park. Your body is also going to consume a lot of muscle instead of fat for energy...always awesome! Ironically, this is often the head of the path towards an eating disorder.

A lot depends on how much you have to lose. The obese/morbidly obese can eat below their BMR for a substantial amount of time before displaying any ill effects because they have considerable fat reserves. Someone with very little to lose will stall almost immediately because there just aren't the fat stores to support the deficit.

If anything...and you're doing the 1,200 calorie plan, you should most definitely be eating exercise calories back. Netting consistently below 1,200 calories per day can be dangerous. 1,200 calories is already about 800 - 1,000 calories per day deficit from your maintenance.

^^^ This.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

He does it again - always posting exactly what I am thinking
  • zoemclarnon1
    zoemclarnon1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) going tomake sure i get my 1200 a day from now on. Dont want to stall the weight loss process and dont want to get ill either. Is it okay to maybe exercise 400 and eat around 1600 so im just "under eating" by 200 or would that still be harmful towards weight loss?