protein powder or not?

Options
I need to increase my protein intake, I don't like to eat a lot of meet so it's hard for me to meet even half of the daily recommendation. So now I'm consider protein supplements, do you take them, are they good for you or not, what is your favorite and why

Replies

• Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Use the forum's Search feature and you'll find a wealth of information. Search "protein powders" and/or "protein shakes".
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate whey protein occasionally (you can totally make a smoothie with that and berries, YUM) but mostly I just snack on peanut butter all day every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take whey as a protein supplement. Usually one shake per day, but some days it's twice to meet my protein goals. "Good for you" is a relative term..for some, they would consider it to not be good for you because it's a processed food...so just depends on your definition of good for you. Your muscles will like it and it gets to them fast.

Personally, I'd prefer if I could do it naturally, but I can't...well, I can't and have it be somewhat convenient at the same time.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Whey Protein Isolate (Walmart's brand). I think the vanilla creme flavor is pretty good. I'm not a body builder, but I had trouble meeting my daily protein goal as well (particularly on gym days) I eat meat, but not a large amount of it, and I'm not really a fan of legumes. I mix it with the soy milk that I use on my breakfast cereal. It adds a vanilla flavor to the milk that I find to be pleasant. A lot of people add protein powder to their smoothies. I really don't do smoothies because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Some people swear it constipates them. That doesn't sound fun. I use protein powder if I have had a big workout or if I am feeling peckish after dinner. Nothing like a "chocolate shake" to satisfy the munchies.
  • Ziarguesp
    Options
    Hello, I recently was debating this as well. It started when i found out that getting enough protein can aid in fat loss. Well after much research i finally decided on getting Sunwarrior Protein Warrior Blend in Vanilla. It is about 45 dollars from the The Vitamin Shoppe but the company has great deals as well. It tastes really good and mixes well. But the biggest reason why i decided on this protein powder was because it is completely natural plant based protein. I read an article about how most people don't know that many of these protein supplements are hormone cocktails, especially a lot of the whey proteins out there, due to all the hormones cows are treated with. It is great with just water not too sweet if you search it on the food list on here you can find all the nutritional info. It is also great for baking and makes oatmeal 10x more amazing. If you add the company on facebook you can message them and get free samples. Do your research before buying any supplement. And remember don't be stingy, you get what you pay for.
  • Amberry123
    Amberry123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are many, many, many ways of getting enough protein without eating meat. It is very possible to get more then enough protein from diet alone. I actually find it amazing that you don't meet your protein requirements. I rarely even see vegan that don't meet their RDA (I'm a dietician/nutritionist), you fall into a VERY small percent of people with this problem. Protein supplements are a huge waste of money and if you are truly trying to be healthy you need to look into what FOOD you can eat to balance your diet rather then supplementing. Eating real food will also provide you with the other macro/micro/phyto nutrients that your body needs better then a powder made in a lab somewhere.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I take a protein shake daily, I add the powder to yoghurt and porridge as well to balance the sugar load. I have issues eating meat and can only just tolerate freshly cooked chicken breast after being a vegetarian for 20 years. Not only was I lacking protein in my diet, I also take iron and b12 supplements.
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's very helpful