training for a 5k, 10k

Options
to start pushing myself to stay motivated and have something to work towards i want to sign up and run in a 5k and 10k this summer. any hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated! :) thanks in advance.

Replies

• armypsychdoc
    armypsychdoc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was check in with any local running clubs and also any local running stores. If you live anywhere near a Fleet Feet, they usually have GREAT training programs. Running with a group serves several purposes:

1. You will typically stop less if no one around you is stopping.
    2. You might be able to run faster than you think you can...try a run with a faster pace group.
    3. You will make friends with the people you run with and they will hold you accountable if you don't show up to group runs.
    4. More creative minds=more varied running locations.

As far as advice, I can't stress enough the importance of fitted shoes and synthetic socks. So many people (certainly myself included) when first starting think that any old sneakers (literally OLD) will do for running. You're just setting yourself up for injury. I'd start by getting professionally fit by a running store for shoes that are good for your feet. Be warned, you need to go in with the mindset of "these will help me run faster, longer, and more comfortably with less pain," because sometimes they aren't always fashionably what you'd like them to be. The minute I stopped picking my athletic footwear based on it's appearance the minute I stopped hurting and subsequently dreading exercise.

Good luck!
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    One alternative to doing the 10k, would be to do a series of 5ks---your progress would be more comparable and there is nothing like hitting a PR to motivate! also if you haven't been running much, you want to be careful increasing volume too quick, as that can lead to injury if your body has not had time to adapt to the running.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been using the 10k trainer app (free) and I'm on week 11 out of 14. I think it has been really awesome in helping me progress and build endurance!
  • notpregnant23
    notpregnant23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!