waist to hip measurement-percentage going up

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
i was set a measurement to get to with my dietician -when i started it was ,93(waist divided by hip-to get a ratio)--i started here and my ratio had gone down to ,92 but now i have gone up to ,97 because my hips have reduced by 2 inches and my stomach stayed the same--do i need to keep going with the same exercise or is this a crap measurement lol-it is suspose to be a ratio of no more than ,90 the be safe from heart attacks!

Replies

• spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    You need to keep exercising.

This is actually a more accurate measure of cardiovascular risk than BMI. As it measures abdominal fat.

I know its discouraging, when genetically you loose fat in a way that hinders this measure. But you've lost body fat, that is a good thing, 2" is massive. So don't be discouraged. Just keep going and wait till it starts to even out :)
  • de1amo
    Options
    thanks --i think i follow but the ratio has got worse despite my risky stomach not getting bigger-- it will make child birth more difficult having no hips but hey ho i am a bloke!--with my stomach i would say i am about 3 months gone! -i started a new sit up regime this week and it seems to have affected my hips not my waist lol-seriously i do feel less baggy around the waist and i am only 2,5kgs off a 22,3 bmi reading! how low do i go before the belly hatches??
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That happened to me, too! But then I started to lose off my waist, and now have just a slightly better ratio now than I did before losing weight. It's JUST under apple now at .79 rather than .81, where I started.
  • de1amo
    Options
    i have lost 24lbs since i started dieting and 20 of those since i was measured--there is only the expected baby left of me!! when i was young i had a lot of ops and my mother-in law who is a doctor says i may have scar tissue inside that give me girth and thus extra inches--she hinted it may be 6 to 10 lbs but i will fight my way down but dont follow how this ratio can increase when the hips reduce and belly stays the same--makes a mockery of it i think-g