Indian Restaurant - HELP PLEASE

Options
beasy22
beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
My boyfriend is taking me to an Indian restaurant tonight - HELP !!!!

WHAT ON EARTH AM I GOING TO ORDER THAT's REASONABLY HEATHLY - PLEASE HELP !!!

Thanks

Soph

Replies

• FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    tandoori chicken, tikki masala, a spinach or eggplant dish....but maybe don't have the rice with it.???

It is hard--I love Indian food, I wnat to have it ALL!

enjoy your dinner!
  • Lea10
    Lea10 Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh god thats a tricky one, i love indian food thats one thing i am going to miss while being on a diet i look forward to it on a saturday night! Try to stay away from the rich, creamy meals like korma, tikka masala as they are full of calories and fat. Look up on the net whats the healthy options while having a indian!
  • glines
    glines Posts: 6
    Options
    A straight tandoori chicken or fish isn't bad as there's no sauce (don't get tikka masala- lots of cream!). If you want sauce, go for a vegetable based curry - perhaps a jalfrezi if you want something spicy! Avoid Naan bread at all cost! Share a rice with somebody, and maybe get sag aloo (spinach) or gobi aloo (cauliflower) as a side dish.

Just my opinion of course!
  • niki7g
    niki7g Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi there .. I love a nice tasty indian meal too .. but I do try to be careful ...
    I stay away from deep fried type things like Samosas, poppadums, bhaji ....
    I go for some of the drier dishes ... the sauces are the killers usually
    Bhuna, tandoori, tikka ok .. not tikka masala, korma .....

Here's a blog I found ....

http://www.diet-blog.com/06/indian_food_healthy_options.php

Have a great meal out ....
    xx
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    This isn't a perfect list, as it's frozen food nutrition info, but it may be of some utility for you:

http://caloriecount.about.com/ethnic-gourmet-nutrition-m1289

And here's a guide to eating out:

http://www.healthcastle.com/portionplan_indian.shtml

Man Indian rocks! Shame that eating out has to be so bad for you.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I actually don't think Indian is as hard to deal with as a lot of other cuisines. I tend to get tandoori chicken or chicken tikka (NOT tikka masala - avoid anything involving sauce!) but I get a starter portion as my main. And then add chapatis instead of rice or nan bread but ask for them dry because sometimes they're buttered.
  • beasy22
    beasy22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your helpful tips, I feel alot better about it now. I'll stick to the dry meat dishes and boiled rice or salad if i can.

Thanks again to you all.

Soph :) x
  • FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmmm--I was thinking that tikka masala was something else, I guess--Trader Joe's version i thot was a bit lower in calories. Oops!
    could be why I 50 lbs to lose, huh? : )