HEALTH NUTS....PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Options
nomicat77
nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
Kale: it loads me up with gas. am i the only one who experiences this?

Quinoa...what is that? and where do I buy it? I mean what section of the grocery store? and how do I eat it? Also, how do you say it? My daughter and I have been debating the pronunciation.

Tofu: IS THERE ONE WAY TO MAKE TOFU ACTUALLY TASTE GOOD???

Chia Seeds? Are they expensive like all the other nuts and seeds? are they even seeds? What section would they be located in and where do I buy them?

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Look up FODMAP. You might not be absorbing kale well enough and it's giving you gas. Try throwing it in a smoothie so it blends up and is predigested.

Quinoa is pronounced KEEN-WAH. Look for it in the bulk section or where the rice and pasta is if it's boxed. Also could try the gluten-free section if your store has one.

Tofu I just buy pre-made in baked form. I think if you buy extra firm tofu you want to drain it well and then freeze it. Then you thaw it and marinate it and it will take on more flavor. You can also bake it with a sauce.

Chia seeds can be found in the bulk section also. If it's packaged you might see it with the supplements. I bought a bag of it there once. I think it's like 7.99/lb but it lasts awhile.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Kale: it loads me up with gas. am i the only one who experiences this?

Quinoa...what is that? and where do I buy it? I mean what section of the grocery store? and how do I eat it? Also, how do you say it? My daughter and I have been debating the pronunciation.

Tofu: IS THERE ONE WAY TO MAKE TOFU ACTUALLY TASTE GOOD???

Chia Seeds? Are they expensive like all the other nuts and seeds? are they even seeds? What section would they be located in and where do I buy them?
    Don't eat what you don't like because "the internet".
    Want to bulk your fibre...chia is fine...I put it in fridge oatmeal. Makes you crap well if you aren't getting fibre elsewhere.
    Quinoa (keen-wa) I find is tasty, and apparently has a good amino acid profile.
    I boil it in any sauce I'm making as a substitute for rice or barley. It's just another choice/flavour.
    Add it to your diary intake to balance your macros.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    so quinoa is used like rice, cool. because i hate rice. i just eat it because it's good for me. maybe i will like this better.

i'm barely digesting the kale no matter how i make it. i'm sticking with spinach.

i really want to like tofu but every time i cook it, it;'s barely edible. the last recipe i tried was terriyake tofu. nasty.

and i will have to try the chia seeds.

i see not very many people responded to this add, i'm thinking not many people care about nutrition on this website which blows my mind. i'm trying to lose weight because i want a better better health, i want to live long. but most people on here only care about calories.

i wish they had a MyHealthyPal.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have you tried making kale chips? Spread it on a pan, spray with a bit of cooking oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake on low until crisp. They have an amazing flavor that even my pickier young nieces and nephews like. If you eat smaller amounts of kale, whether in chips, mixed with salad, etc., rather than loading it on, it will give your body time to get used to it. Maybe try just throwing a few sprigs into your spinich salad at first. Add a little on in the future and see if it still gives you trouble. Also, if you're eating it in a salad, try tossing in some pineapple (raw, not canned). While all raw foods contain some enzymes, pineapple and papaya have have some of the highest amounts available. They work to help your digestive system work better.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how easy it was to find quinoa when I looked for it.
    Target it is by the rice.
    Pick n Save had it in the bulk bin and also a small bag by the rice
    Woodmans had a whole "special" section for gluten free etc

This is the recipe I use... veggies and scrambled eggs mixed in with garlic. Sometimes chicken.
    http://www.peasandcrayons.com/2012/03/quinoa-fried-rice-remix.html

Chia seeds I found at a natural food store near me. I actually bought a cereal that had chia seeds, buckwheat and something else that I plan to use as a topping. It was $7 which was cheap compared to the box of just chia seeds. They also had a chia kombucha (a drink) with the seeds floating in it! I was worried the texture would turn me off but I really liked it. I don't really like fish so all the omega 3s it says they have is the main attraction.
  • Michelle2526
    Options
    You might want to give Swiss Chard a try. I personally just don't like the bitterness I get from kale, and Swiss chard has a much sweeter taste to it I think. It also has more vitamins and minerals than spinach, but still not as much as kale. I like eating it raw in a salad mixed in with romaine or any other lettuce.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Tofu is best, imo, when you use extra firm and press the heck out of it (that was the first way I learned to like tofu, now I like to do other things with it, too).

Get a slab of it, pour the water out, put it between two plates or cutting boards or whatever flat things you have in the kitchen or house, put some stuff on top of the top plate that is a little heavy so it presses down on the tofu and squeezes the water out... then ignore it for a good long while (how long just depends on how firm and less watery you want it, people press it however long they like).

Then, marinate it like you would meat: cut it into slices or cubes, put some marinade in a dish, put the tofu in, let it sit for an hour or four... again, just ignore it until you want it.

Another way is tofu scrambles. You can find a lot of different recipes online. Basically you make scrambled eggs by cutting or smashing up the tofu into the egg consistency you want and then add the flavoring in the recipe (I like ones using dijon mustard, a little turmeric, and veggies... sounds weird but is tasty).
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I use quinoa in place of rice in casseroles and such, yep. I make it in water flavored by boullion.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I always wondered how to eat Quinoa n Tofu haha :D
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

i see not very many people responded to this add, i'm thinking not many people care about nutrition on this website which blows my mind. i'm trying to lose weight because i want a better better health, i want to live long. but most people on here only care about calories.

People tend to ignore threads that have non-descriptive titles.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    so quinoa is used like rice, cool. because i hate rice. i just eat it because it's good for me. maybe i will like this better.

i'm barely digesting the kale no matter how i make it. i'm sticking with spinach.

i really want to like tofu but every time i cook it, it;'s barely edible. the last recipe i tried was terriyake tofu. nasty.

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Many people here deeply care about their health and nutrition. Sometimes the replys aren't as swiftly incoming as you would like. I myself love kale steamed with olive oil and spices. I love kale chips but most of all love chopped up kale in my Greek lentil soup.
    I use chia in me refrigerated musli and my meatloaf. You can try adding flax seeds to different foods too.
    I add tofu to my sauces also and stir fry. I like tempeh better though. Try cutting up a bunch of your fav veggies and mixing with olive oil and fav spices and oven roasting. Mmmmmmm!
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've been on a quest to eat healthy since I was in my early 20's, for over 30 years now. This means I eat mostly organic, whole, unprocessed foods. I do eat canned organic white, black, pinto, etc beans. And I sometimes eat Annie's canned soups. But for the most part nothing out of a can or box for me.

Oh and since August 2012 I've been eating mainly vegan. Since then I've also stopped eating flour based products, which means I don't eat bread, cake, pies, cookies, muffins, pasta, etc. (I do eat Ezekiel brand flour-less sprouted grain bread and rice pasta).

My diet consists mainly of organic fresh fruits, berries, veggies, lentils, legumes, seeds, nuts, cold pressed olive oil, coconut oil, raw honey, coconut milk, cider vinegar, other organic vinegars, Ezekiel bread, quinoa, rice, millet, barley, tempeh, miso and seaweed.

As far as your questions . . .

Quinoa is an incredible food. It cooks up like a grain but it is actually considered a seed. It has a complete amino acid profile meaning it is a very good protein source. And it cooks up quick! It can be eaten like cooked cereal with fruit for breakfast. Or it can be cooked and eaten with a savory meal. I like cooking it and then topping it with cooked veggies. Or cooking it and then adding chopped raw veggies and an olive oil/light vinegar dressing. You can add it to soups, casseroles and stews. You can even make it into a dessert like rice pudding I suppose. Many recipes available online. I have a cookbook just on quinoa.

Tofu - DON'T EAT IT. Google search "soy products bad" and a bunch of articles will be pulled up regarding the dangers of soy. This includes soy oil, tofu and soy milk. However, FERMENTED SOY is very good for you. Tempeh, natto, miso are examples of fermented soy products.

Chia seeds are great in blender drinks. That's the only way I've tried them so far. They act as a thickener so they probably have other applications in cooking.

As far as the kale, I'd try adding it to a blenderized smoothie like suggested. I make them with frozen fruit, juice, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, unrefined coconut oil, and a few leaves of kale. But if this doesn't digest well, there are so many other dark, nutritious greens. If I were you I'd try another. We grow greens year round. Right now we have a row of lovely spinach in our greenhouse. Other greens to consider are mustard greens, turnip greens, arugula, watercress. Then there are other hard to find greens like purslane that are good for you. The hard to find veggies I suggest growing yourself :flowerforyou:
  • jernayde
    jernayde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm doing a uni project on myfitness pal and similar applications would be great if some of you users could answer my very short survey. Thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RP9MYPY
  • nomicat77
    Options
    Have you tried making kale chips? Spread it on a pan, spray with a bit of cooking oil, sprinkle with salt, and bake on low until crisp. They have an amazing flavor that even my pickier young nieces and nephews like. If you eat smaller amounts of kale, whether in chips, mixed with salad, etc., rather than loading it on, it will give your body time to get used to it. Maybe try just throwing a few sprigs into your spinich salad at first. Add a little on in the future and see if it still gives you trouble. Also, if you're eating it in a salad, try tossing in some pineapple (raw, not canned). While all raw foods contain some enzymes, pineapple and papaya have have some of the highest amounts available. They work to help your digestive system work better.

i tried once and they weren't burnt nastiness. i'll have to try again. i really want to like them. i need a healthy snacking treat my daughter and i can gobble mindlessly while watching netflix. i'm a terrible cook.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Easiest delicious tofu meal I make:
    marinade;
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    1 clove garlic or equivalent crushed/powder
    1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
    Pepper to taste

1 block firm/medium firm tofu, sliced in 1/2 inch slabs

Mix Marinade in ziplock bag and then add the tofu, leave in fridge for atleast 1 hour. Grill on high heat till marinade gets crispy. The taste penetrates the tofu and it's quite yummy
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I eat Kale daily and I have never had gas because of the Kale. Not sure why you are experiencing gas.

Quinoa-KeenWah. You can buy it next to the rice and couscous. Follow the directions on the package. Here is an excellent but time consuming recipe. It's super tasty: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Beet-and-Arugula-Salad/Detail.aspx But Arugula might be hard to find. I buy it at Whole Foods.

Tofu- buy the extra firm. Slice it lengthwise. Fry it in a pan with olive oil. About 6-7 minutes on each side. It's crispy! You can cut it up and put in whatever you would like.

Chia Seeds. I don't understand those. I heard you can buy them at walgreens though. I don't use them because I don't need the extra useless calories.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i tried once and they weren't burnt nastiness. i'll have to try again. i really want to like them. i need a healthy snacking treat my daughter and i can gobble mindlessly while watching netflix. i'm a terrible cook.
    Kale chips are definitely easy to over do. I usually do them at 350 for five minutes MAX, and watch them like a hawk. But if your body isn't dealing with it well, try other leafy greens like others have said (I saw someone mention swiss chard, and I personally love rainbow chard, which is also ridiculously pretty haha).

Is there a particular reason you're looking to all these things on your quest for healthy? Not that there's anything wrong with any of them or wanting to eat them, but if you don't like them/can't digest them/can't figure out a tasty way to cook them, depending on what healthy benefits you're looking to obtain, there are usually substitutes.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Easiest delicious tofu meal I make:
    marinade;
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    1 clove garlic or equivalent crushed/powder
    1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
    Pepper to taste

1 block firm/medium firm tofu, sliced in 1/2 inch slabs

Mix Marinade in ziplock bag and then add the tofu, leave in fridge for atleast 1 hour. Grill on high heat till marinade gets crispy. The taste penetrates the tofu and it's quite yummy

I do something really similar, then bake it and I can't keep my mitts off of it.

If you have a texture issue with tofu, try freezing it before using it. Freeze, thaw, drain and press as someone suggested above. Or, drain and press, cut into ready-to-use slices or chunks, and freeze. It gives it a more hearty texture.

In terms of taste, think of it as a blank slate. It will absorb the flavors you cook it with (especially if it was pressed). To make my own baked tofu, I press the tofu and slice thin then combine some honey, tamari, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. I let it marinate for a good long time, then bake at 250 until it's browned around the edges, usually about an hour. Then I can toss it on sandwiches, salads, in with my quinoa :-) or just grab a slice out of the fridge.

If you really want to eat more tofu google around for tofu recipes for kids. Those usually are geared towards making it tasty and/or hiding it.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    To kind of add on to my first post,

Kale- high in iron and fiber (which might be why it's giving you gas, if you're getting a lot of fiber from other sources on top of it, OR if you're not used to eating any fiber)

Quinoa (like people have said, keen-wah :) )- high in protein (in regards to other non-meat sources), and is actually not a grain but a seed, which makes it gluten free, therefore a good substitute for rice for people that have gluten intolerances

Tofu-high in calcium and a good non-meat source of protein. Personally I enjoy tofu, but honestly it's not something that has any over the top awesome health bonuses (some studies will actually argue that an over-consumption of soy products messes with your estrogen levels, but that's probably only true if you're eating soy for every meal every day always). If you're set on tofu though, I'd suggest extra-firm (make sure to press it for long enough before you cook it or it will be too watery tasting), and try a marinade or a meat rub you like. I've cooked mine in everything from boring soy sauce to Jameson.

Chia seeds- high in fiber, decent source of protein. I like them in yogurt and smoothies, and get mine from the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC, or at our co-op that's in town.