Just tell me how many calories to eat - TDEE/BMR

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories back. Yes I have gone over my calories a couple times. I have lost 13 lbs since Jan 21, 2013.I have lost inches too. In the last week and a half I haven't moved. I'm usually hungry though. I think the TDEE way would be so much better for me because I want to get healthier and lighter but I want it to LAST!!! SO if anyone can help me with this, that would be great.
Ok this is me:

Height - 5-2
Weight - 187lbs Goal weight - 150 but maybe if it works 130
Age - 23
Wrist - 5.75
Forearm - 10.
Neck - 13.
Waist(smallest part) - 36.
abdomen at navel - 48
Hips - 43.
one thigh - 25.5
one calf - 16.

I work at a bank as a bank teller 8hr day but i'm not always sitting I would say maybe on my feet 1 hr a day at my job.
I work out usually 6 days a week. 30 mins of elliptical and right now I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred(about 25 mins-28 mins). I do both things everyday I work out. Sometimes on the 1 day I take off I do a little bit of the elliptical but I don't ever count it. I am the one who cooks in my house for my boyfriend and I almost every day so I'm usually walking around doing that stuff for 15-30 mins each night.

So tell me please:
My BMR?
My TDEE?
What I should be eating to lose weight?
How do I get there from where I have been eating (1200 calories)?

Replies

• Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Check out EM2WL (eat more 2 weigh less website) as well they have threads on MFP , you will get alot of great info!
    Sites to find out your TDEE and BMR ...Scooby....Fitgirls.... there are many. Never eat below BMR ....you probably need to do a metabolism reset. I encourage you to google EM2WL!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a long read, but it's a good post that someone put up here on MFP....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

Yes ^^ THIS

Scooby says your BMR is 1646 your TDEE is 1975 and your calorie goal should be 1580.
    Then any exercise you do will earn your more cals.

Scooby also explains the amount of protein, carbs and fat you should aim for.

When you chose the "Lose fat - 25% calorie reduction" that's like going to MPF's default 1200.
    It's reducing your calories by 25% of your TDEE.

I just started trying to focus on the nuttrition part of this. eating more protein and less fat :/
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I actually don't eat my recommended deficit based on TDEE and have seen steady losses. That said, I started at 1200 but found that during/after 30 Day Shred I had to up my calories, (I was always hungry and not losing) and it sounds like you may need to do the same. I went up to 1350 and always always eat my exercise calories back. If it helps, I'm 5'4, and mostly sedentary outside of exercise. According to the calculator, my TDEE is something like 2300, so I'm at WAY more than a 25% deficit. But, I'm just not hungry. I try to make myself eat back at least 50-75% of my exercise calories, but on days when I don't work out, I stick to 1350. I'll probably increase that again the next time I plateau. Your body needs more fuel the more muscle it builds, and the more weight you lose, the closer you should be moving towards your daily caloric need for maintenance, meaning you should be eating more.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i plugged your info in a calculator it spit out

2250 for TDEE

edit
    i plugged my info in and my TDEE looked a little high
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Yes ^^ THIS

Scooby says your BMR is 1646 your TDEE is 1975 and your calorie goal should be 1580.

When you chose the "Lose fat - 25% calorie reduction" that's like going to MPF's default 1200.

I just started trying to focus on the nuttrition part of this. eating more protein and less fat :/

Wait...what? If you're eating your TDEE - 20 or 25% I thought you weren't suppose to eat your exercise calories because they are included in your TDEE. Is the scooby calculator different?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Since you are short and have a high Body Fat %, I would strongly suggest using the Katch Mcardle BMR calculator to figure your BMR. Google Military Body Fat calculator and input your neck, waist and hip measurements to get your BF%. Enter that number into the Katch Mcardle calculator and you will get a more accurate BMR than the one they use on MFP.

ETA. entering the numbers you gave, the KM came up with a BMR of around 1200. Moderate exercise would make your TDEE around 1850. I
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Yes ^^ THIS

Isn't the 1580 WITH the exercise calories figured in?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 75-100 g of protein, and 40-50g healthy fats. Fill the rest with high fiber carbs.

ETA SInce you carry so much of your weight in your midsection, you might be insulin resistant. Focusing on adequate protein and healthy fats, and limiting sugar and simple processed carbs, might help you lose easier and more steadily. It works for a lot of us that are built that way.

(Of course there are people out there who eat high carb and lose as well. So no need to jump in the defend your diet. Just offering a suggestion from my experience)
  • rnordaas89
    rnordaas89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok so no one was consistent with the answers and no
    One gave me all my answers so please tell me these things:
    My BMR
    My tdee
    How many calories I should eat to lose weight
    How do I get there since I have been eating 1200 cal (gradual or instant)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    You can figure out your own calculations at scoobysworkshop.com

I am 5'2 158lbs

I eat 1700 a day

I exercise 6 days a week.

My goal weight is 120-125
  • rnordaas89
    rnordaas89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok I did that website scoobys it says I should eat 1900 to lose fat.
    Now how do I get to that. I feel like if I go from 1200 to 1900 right away that wouldn't be good.
    Tell me if I'm wrong. Tell me how to get there.
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    my stats are almost the same as yours, except that I weigh a little less. I eat 1600 cals and I lose there. You should be fine somewhere between 1600-1700. As for increasing, start going up by 100 cals a week until you get to 1900
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Ok I did that website scoobys it says I should eat 1900 to lose fat.
    Now how do I get to that. I feel like if I go from 1200 to 1900 right away that wouldn't be good.
    Tell me if I'm wrong. Tell me how to get there.

All I can tell you is my experience 2 years ago I did the 1200 calories for almost a year and lost 50lbs - as soon as I stopped logging and exercising (I was too tired from not eating enough) I gained 20 lbs back over the course of the year. and am now back here trying to lose it again but at a healthier pace this time.

Some say to increase by 100 calories per week until you reach your 1900 goal, I personally did it the next day. I am active enough I wasn't too worried about gaining I know I am burning more than I am taking in.

also which calculation did you use -20% or -25%? I use the -20%