IUD vs. the Pill

Options

Replies

• johnsongirls
    johnsongirls Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am on my third Mirena IUD. Had the first one in for 5 years and then had a new one put in. Got it out and had another baby. Had another one put in after. I absolutely love it. No acne problems and no weight gain with any of them. Best birth control ever in my opinion. I recommend them to everyone and will never use anything else. As the above poster said you are far more likely too hear horror stories than hey I have it and its great. Talk to your doctor and do your research for yourself. ANYTHING has some sort of bad story associated with it. Most people are far more willing to share that then the good. U
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi there,

I am 41 and had it inserted approx. 1.5 months ago (for heavy bleeding...). It lasted 6 days. I called my Doc. and had it removed. I've never had children so insertion was VERY painful. I kept getting cramps and litterally started to feel depresive and woke up on day four with suicidal thoughts. I had a major reaction of facial burning, breakouts and itchiness. All that in only 6 days.

It took 3 weeks to get back to my 'old' self.

That's my story.

It's different for everyone. But I hated every monute of the IUD being there.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't do the hormonal one, but I am anti-hormones because of my migraine history. The copper one, though, is a great alternative (which some people aren't even aware of as they don't advertise as much as Mirena) for those who want a natural choice.

The installation, for me, wasn't too bad. I had 2 of my 3 babies naturally w/o pain meds (my #2 and #3 were waterbirths) and have a high pain tolerance. I remember the IUD feeling like a pinch and not really much different than a speculum going up there for a typical PAP. It was soooooooo worth it.
  • dlveck
    dlveck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All of this is really excellent information. I've been looking for a Pill alternative and always thought IUD was not possible since I've not had a baby. I visit my Gyne in 4 days and I intend to talk to her about BC options. Thanks for all the great info.
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    I'm on my second Mirena IUD, I LOVE IT !!!!! No periods, no cramps, no hormonal fluctuations, no sugar cravings at 'that time of the month'. I have had a gf who tried one, and it didn't agree with her, so it's a personal choice, but i personally would give it a go if you have the opportunity
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    All of this is really excellent information. I've been looking for a Pill alternative and always thought IUD was not possible since I've not had a baby. I visit my Gyne in 4 days and I intend to talk to her about BC options. Thanks for all the great info.

You can certainly get an IUD if you haven't had kids. They make you sign your life away that you understand the risks (even if you're like me and done having kids), but most people have no issues if it's inserted properly. There were 2 people in the room putting mine in.
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got my mirena placed at planned parenthood. Wanted it because at the time i had to pay at least 15 dollar copay for birth control pills but my deductible was used up so an IUD would be free! Never been pregnant so I asked the NP about slippage rates and she said that it may hurt a little more but that the slippage rates were still extremely low and that I wouldnt have to worry about it. The day I had it placed i took about 4 motrin at once and it hurt like the ****ens but later that evening I was moving around and putting together ikea furniture with minimal pain.

I still had my period, but it was really light. The NP said about 40% of her patients stop getting theirs altogether. My acne was actually better on the IUD than on Loestrin FE which I was taking before. Did not have a problem with unwanted weight gain either (but I wasn't trying to lose weight).

About a year and a half in I had a month long period. There was a week off then I had another 3 week long period which was when I decided to get the IUD taken out. All my pms symptoms that had been controlled or non-existent on the pill and IUD came back with a furry. Switched back to Loestrin and went back to my normal controlled self. Took about three months to regularize my periods again and now my cycles are strangely better than they were before I went on Mirena.

Even though it didnt work out for me for the full 5 years, I dont regret mirena. I think it somehow helped stabilize my hormone levels, it saved me money, and I didnt have to worry about making sure I took my pill each morning.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I had a paraguard IUD for just under 10 years, I had it put in after having three children, didn't want anything permanent at that point, but a year and a half ago did have my tubes tied. I love having the IUD. My periods were regular and I didn't have any trouble with it.
  • mehhhlife
    mehhhlife Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For those of you of have used ParaGard, you would recommend it? I'm really big on natural health so the hormones in the pill freaks me out.
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have known two people close to me who had an IUD. One was my sister who had to have it removed because of a major infection it caused. The other person was a friend who got pregnant with it. I would not use it for those reasons and other personal reasons.

I also don't use hormonal birth control because I personally don't believe in messing with our hormones.

I've been married for 15 years and have used condoms and common sense to keep from getting pregnant other than the times that I wanted to.

I hope you have done research and I pray you don't have complications.
    Love this ^^^
    I have been on both. I hate birth control because the hormones always mess with me. I had a baby 10 months ago and have been hesitating to get any. My periods are very regular and I can tell exactly when I am ovulating (ie: when NOT to "Do it" lol). I am just a little nervous about having no protection other than condoms.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 3.5 years. Haven't had any issues. I forget it's there most of the time, I don't get my period (and I used to have debilitating cramps), and sorry if this is TMI but sex is so easy and whimsical. I'm not planning to have kids so I expect to get a Mirena every 5 years until menopause instead of having my tubes tied. Highly recommend giving it a try. If it doesn't agree with your body you'll know in the first few months and it'll only cost you$10.
  • walkinon_sunshine
    Options
    How about have dude/s buy some condoms or just have dude/s just pull it out at the end... :wink:

Pulling out is ineffective... Precum contains sperm. Sorry.
  • cathrynfay
    Options
    The Mirena is a much lower dose of hormones than the pill, because it's localized. For me, the side effects of the pill were severe nausea the first week, vomiting the first two days of the cycle, and acne. I also had trouble taking it at the same time every day. With the Mirena I have no periods, no cramps, no acne, and no nausea. Definitely sticking with it, especially since I do not want more children.

I hear a lot of complaints about the Mirena. People don't go to message boards to report a neutral or positive experience, you know? I also think sometimes symptoms are attributed to the Mirena when it is not the actual cause of certain problems. It is one of the most effective forms of birth control available.
  • SarahBeth0625
    Options
    For those of you of have used ParaGard, you would recommend it? I'm really big on natural health so the hormones in the pill freaks me out.

Exactly the reason you stated: I wanted something natural too. I also had 20-25 migraines a month the 7.5 yeas I was on the pill (and I tried 3 different ones). That, in effect, caused me to be on a migraine preventive med (Topamax) and the highest dose of Imitrex when I got a migraine. I went off the pill (and then my migraine meds) when I got married and had ZERO headaches so I know it was the hormones causing my migraines.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I would. To be hones, it has made my periods a bit heavier and my PMS cramps slightly worse. But, the former isn't enough to really bother me and the latter is easily taken care of with ibuprofen. BC hormones really do bad things to me so it was this or the big V for my husband - and he was too scared to do it, lol!
  • rbl1225
    rbl1225 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anybody said this already- I didn't read all the threads.

IUD isn't an option for everybody. If you do not have a child odds are a doctor won't even insert it for you.

Basically before you do anything else make sure the doctor will do it. Not sure if you have a kid or not. If you don't and you have a doctor that will I would ask them why other doctors won't give you it. I can't remember all the side effects but it can cause some problems later down the road.

For me I stick with the pill. I do know a lot of girls on implanon which is inserted into your arm.

Only you can decided but make sure you discuss all side effects with your doctor! Good luck!
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the Paraguard, the copper, non-hormonal IUD. I love it. I don't do well with hormones and I don't need the crap that comes along with it like weight gain and such.

I haven't had any issues with it at all. No heavier periods. No worse cramping than I already had. In fact, I actually haven't had my period in a couple months. But that is usual for me. Before I had my son, I would only have between 3-5 a year. I have had my IUD in since March 2012.

Of course, it is always different for different people. Some have no issues at all like me, others end up with the horrible cramping, etc. But it was the best option for me since I don't want anymore children. (One and done.)
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

I would, I had no problems with it.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2) pull out method is only effective 30% of the time

That's actually not true. It is 73-96% effective, depending on if it's done correctly. (For reference, condoms are 82-98% effective and the pill is 91-99% effective.)

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i have the mirena iud i love it....i havent had any problems no insane weight gain the only weight gain is by my own doing and my acne is the same as it was before somedays actually better. my period stopped a few months ago and no im not pregnant they said its normal for it to stop with some people. next year will be year 5 and i will get a new one.