Protein shakes to lose weight?

Options
Hi everyone. I recently started my diet about a month ago. I hate exercise, but i know it is necessary to get me to my goal weight. I try riding my bike on the trail, or doing the exercise bike if I can't get outside. I know it isn't intense cardio..but it's something. I have heard so many yes's and no's about drinking protein shakes to promote weight loss. My brother in law suggested I try CytoSport 100% whey. I drank a shake last night and thought it was actually pretty good! So here is my question... do I buy the protein? I read somewhere you can drink them as a mid morning or afternoon snack to get you to your next meal. What are your thoughts? I only know of drinking them either before or after your workout. I need some direction! I'm new to this whole weightloss thing.

I also have a second question.-If you are on a 1,200 calorie diet and you burn 400 calories working out, do you technically eat 1,600 calories for the day?? I know MFP says yes, but other sites say no... any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• BridgeKiki
    Options
    I have been drinking protein shakes for almost 2.5 months now. I have lost 23 lbs and I love them. Keep living a healthy life.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    For the first question - it's perfectly acceptable to have a protein shake. They are not a "key" to weight loss. But, they can help you meet your protein macro and as long as it fits in your calorie goal, you're fine. In other words, drink it if you want to.

For the second question - yes, you eat back your exercise calories. Other sites already factor in your exercise. MFP does not. There is already a large enough deficit to promote weight loss based off of you daily lifestyle. So, when you do exercise, it gives you those calories back to eat for a couple of reasons - one being to provide you with the energy to keep exercising, and the other to prevent the deficit from getting too large (which could cause harm in a variety of ways). Definitely eat back those calories!!
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to make sure you are getting enough protein. You could drink half before your workout & half after, or use them as a snack in between meals. You always want to continue eating healthy food but there is nothing wrong with having protein shakes.

Make sure the protein you choose doesn't have a lot of fillers. I personally do not consume Splenda, and a lot of the proteins have that listed as Sucralose. I drink Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein-no flavor. I can cook with it, add it to oats, pancakes, really anything! It blends nicely and doesn't have a taste. I can mix it with water & fruit too to make a smoothie. I like to mix it with eggs, oats & a banana and make a 'pancake' with it too!
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I hate eating breakfast and the only way I can is to drink a protein shake. I get great nutrients like iron and so on as well, and start my morning off with fuel. It is literally the only way I will "eat" breakfast. I love them, especially if I am having a really busy day I can throw one in my purse, and bring a shaker along and poof have a meal while I drive from place to place.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and 'if it meets your macros' - then go for it.

lightdiva1 - if you don't like having breakfast - don't.
    It's been well debunked that you 'need' it.
  • Fit2Skinnyme33
    Fit2Skinnyme33 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Question 1: Yes go for it - I drink 1 as a pre/wo drink and I started to add 1/2scoop of protein in Sugar Free Chocolate pudding to help in the afternoon, if I know I am lacking or need a snack. Protein helps you build lean muscle which when building muscle, although won't make the scale go down fast, but will make you look leaner or thinner with the fat loss. I have been drinking them as a pre/wo for MONTHS, and for a while when I first started to lose weight for a mid morning snack. Nothing high calorie but helping me get enough protein in the my diet.

Question 2: Yes, eat them. I have a personal trainer. My MFP says 1200 and I stick to that on my "rest" days. On days that I am working out (regardless of how many "calories" I burn) I eat about 1500. That helps the scale move a little quicker (for me about a 1.5-2.5lb a week loss). But in addition to the calories at 1500, I keep my fat less than 50g (which are whole fats, try to stay away from "fat free" fake processed things, I stick to nuts, eggs, milk, avocado, some cheese), my carbs are under 120g and my protein is anywhere from 70-100g. Also I try to eat HIGH fiber things so my Net carbs is still between 80-100g.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't look at protein shakes any different than any other protein. Protein supplements should be treated like a food source because that's what they are. The definition of supplement is something you're not getting enough of X in your diet. Whey proteins are nice because they are a complete protein, quickly digesting, convenient, per gram of protein VERY economical, promote lean muscle growth, etc. etc.

You could also get the same nutrition by eating two scrambled eggs with some milk.
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    My dietician told me they are great. She actually eats the same protein bars (Pure Protein brand) that I do so that's gotta count for something. A serving of it is 20 grams of protein.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Not being a great fan of breakfast first thing in the am....Good protein drink in my coffee gets me off to a good start, a 'healthy'' coffee creamer. I like Premier Protein from Sam's---1/2 in a couple cups of coffee I'm good till I'm ready to eat later.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I use them as meal replacements...
  • Suezii_Q
    Suezii_Q Posts: 6
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater. When I tried to eat breakfast before being awake for 3 or 4 hours I would feel ill. I was told by a co-worker to try a protein shake and I have had them as my breakfast for about 2 years now. Change them up by adding a 1/2 cup of fruit or 3/4 cup of frozen berries a little ground flax or chai seeds and blend them up in a little personal blender.
  • Ronnie715
    Ronnie715 Posts: 29
    Options
    I drink Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein-no flavor.

I went on their website and did not find that available. Where did you buy it?