quinoa in rice cooker?

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
I have a rice cooker with separate white rice and brown rice options. Cooking time for white rice is about 30-35 minutes for 2 cups, and 1:45 hours for brown. Any ideas what setting I should use to make quinoa in this rice cooker?

Replies

• LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    good question! I have a rice maker too... doesn't have fancy settings but curious if I could cook quinoa in it. Have never been able to get it right on the stovetop
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have never tried just quinoa in the rice cooker. When I had made it I mix it with rice and put it in. I actually haven't used my rice cooker lately as it's faster for me to cook it on the stove in a pot. I would imagine the cooking time would be the same as white rice.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Thanks. I will try the white rice settings and see how it goes.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try the white rice settings and see how it goes.

It's always worked for me but I haven't done just quinoa in it. Normally I mix half quinoa and half white rice. Than the liquid is half water, half vegetable stock and some grated onion and garlic. Turns out great!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I always do my quinoa in my rice cooker. I use the white rice setting but I have to stop it before the end as it sticks a little and it burns if I don't.

SO I'm pretty sure the brown setting would be overkill.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Copy that on the white rice setting. I also cook my brown rice on the white rice setting, but I soak it before I cook it. :)
  • NormInv
    Options
    The posters above me are correct. I made it on white rice setting but when opened the lid with over 15 minutes to run the full cycle, it was already cooked, so I just switched to 'keep warm' mode for another 5 minutes. Seems to have worked ok. But yeah, you need to stop the cooker 10-15 minutes into it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a "fuzzy logic" rice cooker and cook quinoa on the "white rice" setting. No need to do anything special or stop it early and it always comes out great.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the rice cooker. Just the normal settings so it takes around 30 minutes.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me the idea to cook lentils in the rice cooker, which I never thought to do, lol. I bought a bag months ago but still haven't gotten around to cooking them. A quick google search recommends 2-3 cups of water for each cup of lentils.
  • kellyp911
    kellyp911 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I typically cook quinoa on the stove for about 20-30 minutes. you can also substitute one cup of water with vegetable broth or french onion soup to give it a different taste. good luck!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I cook all my grains – quinoa, millet, rice, etc. – in my rice cooker. I just have a small, super simple rice cooker though. No settings, just "on" and "keep warm." I concur with someone else on here that the quinoa takes about a half hour for a cup.
  • ilovephysics
    ilovephysics Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just did this last night. I have a VERY basic rice cooker though. No settings or anything... Just an on/off switch. I rinsed 1 cup of quinoa and put it in the rice cooker with a little less than 2 cups of water. It came out fine. I would imagine it would taste even beeter with vegetable broth though...
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i've cooked rice, quinoa, millet, and amaranth in my rice cooker (and other stuff)

just do 1:1 ratio rice:water in cooker:

ex: 2 c quinoa, 2 c water

:)
  • NormInv
    Options
    I got the idea from the thread on how to use your rice cooker as a slow cooker.

But poster is absolutely right that you can also make lentils in the rice cooker. In fact, i am beginning to experiment. I made the quinoa with garbanzo beans, and onions. Could even add chicken if one were so inclined. But cooking time will be longer.

I did use vegetable broth.
  • edisonbentonjr1
    edisonbentonjr1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have an Aroma Rice Cooker, and for every 2 cups of quinoa, I use 3 cups of Pacific Organic Free Range low sodium (70 mg) chicken broth. I put the rice cooker on the brown rice setting, and the result is, to me, perfectly cooked quinoa. That is, it is well cooked, but crunchy. If your preference is for it to be a bit softer, make it 2 cups of liquid to 2 cups of quinoa.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. My quinoa attempts always end in disaster, but I am going to try it with the rice cooker. It makes sense, really.