Chalean Extreme/ lifting and bad back

Options
jaz050465
jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
I'm on the push circuit and doing 22 pounds for some of the exercises. Although the weights are use are fine for the body parts I'm using, I am now finding that my dodgy back can't cope. Any suggestions. Would I be better with bands for those exercises.

Replies

• lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am doing CLX right now for the second time. I had the same exact problem the first time. Are you using adjustable weights? For this ( and any workout) your form is so so important. You might be curving your back more then you realize. You might want to drop weight a little and really focus on form. Can you try doing it in front of a mirror? Bands would definitely be easier on your back. The only problem is your form needs to be even better to really get the full benefit from it.
    I also started going to a chiropractor, and that has helped so much!

So I really think maybe dropping weight is really a good place to start. Even though your arms may feel like it is the perfect amount, if it is tweeking your back it's no good! It's all about your back keeping perfect form while the rest of your muscles are lifting.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks very much.
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am on the Burn circuit and having the same problem. I think that is the downside of CLX for older people like me (45). I am alternating it with JNL Fusion and don't have the same problem with JNL. So although I love CLX, my lower back struggles. When I drop the weights, I really don't push myself enough. The biggest problem are exercises when the back is at an angle.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm 47 - even older. Funny but I'm so keen on getting fit and losing weight- I don't think about my age as a problem. You may be right.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I am on the Burn circuit and having the same problem. I think that is the downside of CLX for older people like me (45). I am alternating it with JNL Fusion and don't have the same problem with JNL. So although I love CLX, my lower back struggles. When I drop the weights, I really don't push myself enough. The biggest problem are exercises when the back is at an angle.

Maybe I'd be better with something with lighter weights. How do you like JNL fusion.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm 54 and, for the first time around, had the same problem with the exercises done while leaning forward. The second time through has been easier. It sounds like you're using your back too much in the exercises. Try decreasing the weight, and focus on the muscle you're working and perfecting your form. Once those muscles get stronger, you should be able to increase the weight without aggravating your back.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 with sciatica, L5/S1 herniation, and osteo-arthritis, and did CLX lifting pretty heavy. For bent-over rows, I kept my slightly knees bent, so there wasn't so much pressure on my back, and also didn't lean over quite so much - pretty much do that with any exercise with back at angle. Also, keeping your core strong it key (in addition to good form). If my back tweaked I'd rotate in more core work. What hurt me more with Chalean was all the dance moves because I'm completely uncoordinated!
  • lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey, Ladies! I am only 29 with the back problems, so we can't use age as an excuse! :laugh: Another good point is core strength! Keeping your core engaged the whole time and making sure you are doing the Ab workouts (I suggest at least 3 times a week) will help your back also! It is really amazing what parts of our body are used to help support others that we are working.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks very much for all your input.